Evolution

Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Oct 05

Originally posted by David C
Isn't he great folks? Let's give him a hand. Right, ratboy?
Hey. Stop stealing a quote that buried you. 😛

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Oct 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
[bThe fossil record is one source of evidence for this idea, as are morphological and genetic observations in living organisms and observations of speciation occurring in nature.[/b]
“In spite of the examples, it remains true that most new species, genera and families appear in the record suddenly (the Cambrian Explosion), and are not led up to by known, gradual, completely continuous transitional sequences.”

-George Gaylord Simpson-

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Oct 05

Originally posted by Halitose
“In spite of the examples, it remains true that most new species, genera and families appear in the record suddenly (the Cambrian Explosion), and are not led up to by known, gradual, completely continuous transitional sequences.”

-George Gaylord Simpson-
What do you make of that?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
What do you make of that?
One of the worlds leading paleontologists wasn't so sure of the proof that ATY just sprouts for fact.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Oct 05

One of the worlds leading paleontologists wasn't so sure of the proof that ATY just sprouts for fact.
But what do you make of it?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Oct 05
2 edits

But what do you make of it?
Methinks there is less proof in the fossil record than people make out.

There are two places in the world that have an abundance of Cambrian fossils: the Burgess Shale in the Canadian Rockies and the Chengjiang site in China.

In Stephen J. Gould's Wonderful Life, he points out that the Burgess Shale Cambrian fossils include "a range of disparity in anatomical design never again equaled, and not matched today by all the creatures in the world's oceans."

Further, these fossils contain some twenty to thirty kinds of arthropods that cannot be placed in any modern group. The modern arthropods, consisting of almost a million species, can all fit into four major groups. But "one quarry in British Columbia, representing the first explosion of multicellular life, reveals more than twenty additional arthropod designs." Today there are about 38 phyla in existence, but the Canadian, Chinese and other Cambrian sites reveal over fifty phyla.

There has been a decrease in diversity (probably due to global catastrophes). This is the reverse of what evolutionary theory predicts.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Oct 05

This is the reverse of what evolutionary theory predicts.
How so?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Oct 05
1 edit

How so?
Er... Small mutational steps = slow diversification. More time = more diversification.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Oct 05
1 edit

Er... Small mutational steps = slow diversification.
And if the process is interrupted by major catastrophes? How does that contradict evolution?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Oct 05

And if the process is interrupted by major catastrophes? How does that contradict evolution?
Evolution leans heavily on uniformatarianism which does not allow for any majot catastrophes, such as the Biblical flood.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Oct 05

Evolution leans heavily on uniformatarianism which does not allow for any majot catastrophes, such as the Biblical flood.
Which scientific discipline would be responsible for determining if there were catastrophes such as meteor strikes, crazy flooding, etc?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Oct 05

Another problem is that there is no proof of a process there, just fully formed and speciated fossils.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
05 Oct 05

Another problem is that there is no proof of a process there, just fully formed and speciated fossils.
complete with vertebrates? or angiosperms? or even gymnosperms?

Moves
05 Oct 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
complete with vertebrates? or angiosperms? or even gymnosperms?
Even better would be from gynosperm to vertebrate.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
05 Oct 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Even better would be from gynosperm to vertebrate.
No, go to the back of the class, it doesn't work like that