Eid al-Adha

Eid al-Adha

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Aug 18

"Eid al-Adha, also called the "Festival of Sacrifice", is the second of two Islamic holidays celebrated worldwide each year (the other being Eid al-Fitr), and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God’s command. Before Abraham could sacrifice his son, God provided a ram to sacrifice instead. In commemoration of this, an animal is sacrificed and divided into three parts: one third of the share is given to the poor and needy; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; and the remaining third is retained by the family. In the Islamic lunar calendar, Eid al-Adha falls on the 10th day of Dhu al-Hijjah. In the international (Gregorian) calendar, the dates vary from year to year drifting approximately 11 days earlier each year. Eid al-Adha is the latter of the two Eid holidays, the former being Eid al-Fitr." [wiki]

The festivities started last night. There were countless drum bands and floats going up and down the road in neighbourhoods all over the city and along main roads too. Today is a national holiday. At some point this morning my neighbour will drop off a gift of mutton and we'll make a curry out of it.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
22 Aug 18

Originally posted by @fmf
"Eid al-Adha, also called the "Festival of Sacrifice", is the second of two Islamic holidays celebrated worldwide each year (the other being Eid al-Fitr), and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God’s command. Before Abraham could sacrifice his son, God provided a ram to ...[text shortened]... point this morning my neighbour will drop off a gift of mutton and we'll make a curry out of it.
Do you need to reciprocate with a gift? (Or is the 'sharing of the food' the significant thing? )

F

Moves
22 Aug 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Do you need to reciprocate with a gift? (Or is the 'sharing of the food' the significant thing? )
It's for Muslims to share the food resulting from their celebratory slaughter of a goat.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
22 Aug 18

It's for Muslims to share the food resulting from their celebratory slaughter of a goat.
Yep sorry. I speed read your op.

Moves
22 Aug 18

Very neighbourly.

As you are not a Muslim I take it that there is sincere sort of outreach associated with the celebration, in terms of including "infidels" for want of a better word?

Also, does the more hard-line Islamic population in other areas of your part of Indonesia also take such an inclusive approach?

F

Moves
22 Aug 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
As you are not a Muslim I take it that there is sincere sort of outreach associated with the celebration, in terms of including "infidels" for want of a better word?
Yes it's a neighbourly thing. Sharing is a form of civic pride.

F

Moves
22 Aug 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Also, does the more hard-line Islamic population in other areas of your part of Indonesia also take such an inclusive approach?
As far as I know, yes. Sharing is, in part, a demonstration of piety and observance.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Aug 18

As far as I know, yes. Sharing is, in part, a demonstration of piety and observance.
Doesn't that fly in the face of your atheism? Do your Muslim friends know you are atheist?

F

Moves
23 Aug 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Do your Muslim friends know you are atheist?
Some do, some don't.

F

Moves
23 Aug 18

FMF: As far as I know, yes. Sharing is, in part, a demonstration of piety and observance.

Doesn't that fly in the face of your atheism?
You are asking me if someone else's religious belief "flies in the face" of my own lack of religious belief? What on earth are you on about?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
23 Aug 18

"Eid al-Adha, also called the "Festival of Sacrifice", is the second of two Islamic holidays celebrated worldwide each year (the other being Eid al-Fitr), and considered the holier of the two. It honors the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God’s command. Before Abraham could sacrifice his son, God provided a ram to ...[text shortened]... point this morning my neighbour will drop off a gift of mutton and we'll make a curry out of it.
Interestingly enough though is that it is the Jews who are the descendants of Isaac the son of Abraham, and those that are middle easterners and Muslim are descended from Ishmael who was not the son of Sara and Abraham to which the promise was made by God that they would have a son. Ishmael was the illegitimate son of Hagar who was essentially a slave.

Islam is a phony religion created by a phony prophet claiming to build on the teachings of Abraham, Moses and Jesus. A completely fraudulent religion with no basis in biblical truth.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Aug 18

Some do, some don't.
And the ones who do don't consider you an infidel and therefore only worthy of their contempt?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Aug 18

And the ones who do don't consider you an infidel and therefore only worthy of their contempt?
So are you admitting that your understanding of Islam is just as lacking as your understanding of Christianity?

F

Moves
23 Aug 18

I don't know. I don't meet Muslims in my everyday life who express contempt or interact with me as if their attitude towards me is one of contempt. I don't live next to an ISIS or Al Qaeda camp.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Aug 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @secondson
Interestingly enough though is that it is the Jews who are the descendants of Isaac the son of Abraham, and those that are middle easterners and Muslim are descended from Ishmael who was not the son of Sara and Abraham to which the promise was made by God that they would have a son. Ishmael was the illegitimate son of Hagar who was essentially a slave.
...[text shortened]... s of Abraham, Moses and Jesus. A completely fraudulent religion with no basis in biblical truth.
And Ishmael was Abraham's firstborn.

And thus was Abraham's failure complete.