1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '22 07:381 edit
    @vistesd2 said
    @divegeester

I’d like to posit another (alternative) event horizon*: one where you fall into a “black hole” of open-mindedness – especially open to the possibility that, whatever the seeming surety of your beliefs, you could be wrong. [Metaphorically – and mixing metaphors – there always is the possibility of a “black swan”.]

Such possibility need ...[text shortened]... Pyrrhonian aporia was a virtue of open-mindedness. (And that "yet" carries over to this day.)
    Yes I like this.

Someone close to me once mused “beware of the ministry of disappointment”, and I’ve never forgotten it, I’m fact I’ve enlarged it my mind over the years as I’ve felt the dogmatism of others try to hold onto a piece of my heart and mind of which which they had no entitlement. Trespassers!
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '22 08:18
    Is this "an event horizon"?

Death. At which point, my first-person perception of who I am and what I have experienced ends.

Implications:

[1] This first-person perception of who I am and what I have experienced ~ that I am aware of now, for example, as I type this ~ is all the more precious and worth savouring, uncluttered, as it is, by a preoccupation with hoping or pretending to "know" it will somehow NOT end; and

[2] When my first-person perception of who I am and what I have experienced ends, my "afterlife" begins, and that "afterlife" comprises a kind of loose and variable - and finite - collation of the memories, individual or collective, secret or shared, accurate or inaccurate, positive or negative, of those who survive me.

[3] ...sentiments and memories so strong, no wonder our more primitive predecessors deduced that the 'spirits' of their ancestors and deceased friends and family were actually present among them.

If death is "an event horizon", then what evidence is there that there is something beyond it aside from the particular "afterlife" that I described/defined above?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '22 11:55
    @divegeester said
    [For info: an event horizon is the point where nothing, including light, can escape from a black hole]

As an analogy of a level religious belief, I suggest that going ‘beyond the event horizon’ is the point where the religious zealot cannot see out from the black hole (black in this context is NOT a sub-analogy for evil). At this level of zealotry they cannot be reason ...[text shortened]... s become and no matter how rational or objectively evidential the counter argument is.

Thoughts?
    Clatter trap.

The "event horizon", for a Christian, isn't a black hole.

Your brand of christian zealotry is abhorrent to sound biblical doctrine and antithetical to what the scriptures teach.

This statement is grammatically bizarre; "At this level of zealotry they cannot be reasoned with no matter how abhorrent or contradictory their belief structure has become..."

I think your synaptic structure has collapsed into a black hole.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '22 11:57
    @josephw said
    Clatter trap.

The "event horizon", for a Christian, isn't a black hole.

Your brand of christian zealotry is abhorrent to sound biblical doctrine and antithetical to what the scriptures teach.

This statement is grammatically bizarre; "At this level of zealotry they cannot be reasoned with no matter how abhorrent or contradictory their belief structure has become..."

I think your synaptic structure has collapsed into a black hole.
    I see you as one of the religious zealots who is well and truly over his own event horizon as mentioned in my OP. Thanks for confirming it.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '22 12:12
    @divegeester said
    I see you as one of the religious zealots who is well and truly over his own event horizon as mentioned in my OP. Thanks for confirming it.
    As you have made abundantly clear numerous times.

Just try describing the "event horizon" that appertains to a genuine Christian perspective as described by the scriptures.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '22 13:41
    @josephw said
    As you have made abundantly clear numerous times.

Just try describing the "event horizon" that appertains to a genuine Christian perspective as described by the scriptures.
    I don’t feel the need to do that; you can if you like.

Have a good think beforehand though and avoid your propensity to blurt.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    04 Jul '22 23:50
    @divegeester said
    I thing
    You thing?
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    04 Jul '22 23:52
    @divegeester

Does your idiomatic platter of cafeteria Christianity preach cruelty to others?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 00:15

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 00:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    He's probably about 65, give or take -- which is even more disturbing.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 03:21
    @kevin-eleven said
    @divegeester

Does your idiomatic platter of cafeteria Christianity preach cruelty to others?
    Have you stopped beating your boyfriend?
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 03:27
    @divegeester said
    Have you stopped beating your boyfriend?
    Your dodging does answer the question.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 09:19
    @kevin-eleven said
    Your dodging does answer the question.
    I’m not interested in your silly false dichotomies.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 17:12
    @divegeester said
    I don’t feel the need to do that; you can if you like.

Have a good think beforehand though and avoid your propensity to blurt.
    Don't do it. That would require more biblical think than you're equipped with. Besides, you only muck it up anyway.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 06:53
    @josephw said
    Don't do it. That would require more biblical think than you're equipped with. Besides, you only muck it up anyway.
    If ”describing the "event horizon" that appertains to a genuine Christian perspective as described by the scriptures.” is a topic you feel you wish to discuss, then YOU start a thread on it.

Try to refrain from creating these straw men statements and then attacking me over them. This thread is about what’s in my OP.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree