1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 06:431 edit
    [For info: an event horizon is the point where nothing, including light, can escape from a black hole]

As an analogy of a level religious belief, I suggest that going ‘beyond the event horizon’ is the point where the religious zealot cannot see out from the black hole (black in this context is NOT a sub-analogy for evil). At this level of zealotry they cannot be reasoned with no matter how abhorrent or contradictory their belief structure has become and no matter how rational or objectively evidential the counter argument is.

Thoughts?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 14:241 edit
    @divegeester said
    [For info: an event horizon is the point where nothing, including light, can escape from a black hole]

As an analogy of a level religious belief, I suggest that going ‘beyond the event horizon’ is the point where the religious zealot cannot see out from the black hole (black in this context is NOT a sub-analogy for evil). At this level of zealotry they cannot be reason ...[text shortened]... s become and no matter how rational or objectively evidential the counter argument is.

Thoughts?
    At this level of zealotry they cannot be reasoned with no matter how abhorrent or contradictory their belief structure has become...

I deeply apologize for both my zealotry and my abhorrent or contradictory belief structure, but as I've attempted to point out, my Christian faith is not designed to be rooted in human logic, mathematics, physics or any of the classical arts or sciences, but rather it is something outside or beyond those disciplines; because of this your attempts to use logic in your discussions, reasonable as that may seem, is not going to work. The best advice I can give is to let me and other Christians believe what we will, and I (for one) will be happy to do the same for you. 🙂
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 07:003 edits
    @mchill said
    The best advice I can give is to let me and other Christians believe what we will, and I (for one) will be happy to do the same for you.
    I am a Christian and what you and “other Christians” believe and propagate about my God is erroneous and a sleight on his very nature which brings the gospel into disrepute and ridicule, so I’ll discuss it as much as I like.

If that’s not ok with you then “the best advice I can give” in return is to debate it and see if you can escape from within your own event horizon 🙂
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 07:15
    @divegeester said
    I am a Christian and what you and “other Christians” believe and propagate about my God is erroneous and a sleight on his very nature which brings the gospel into disrepute and ridicule, so I’ll discuss it as much as I like.

If that’s not ok with you then “the best advice I can give” in return is to debate it and see if you can escape from within your own event horizon 🙂
    Could you have meant "slight" instead of "sleight"?

Don't they teach the English language over there?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 07:21
    @kevin-eleven said
    Could you have meant "slight" instead of "sleight"?

Don't they teach the English language over there?
    No I meant “sleight”

Look it up.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 10:00
    @divegeester said
    No I meant “sleight”

Look it up.
    Not even sleight (sic)?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 12:23
    @suzianne said
    Not even sleight (sic)?
    I thing to say on the topic as usual Suzianne?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 12:32
    Spaghettifcation:

What happens to anything falling into a black hole.

Also analogous of stretched truth and cognition which occurs when a zealot who is already over the event horizon of religious belief, tries to make objective base morality fit the contradict of the religious framework he/she/they find themselves in.
  9. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 18:15
    @mchill said
    At this level of zealotry they cannot be reasoned with no matter how abhorrent or contradictory their belief structure has become...

I deeply apologize for both my zealotry and my abhorrent or contradictory belief structure, but as I've attempted to point out, my Christian faith is not designed to be rooted in human logic, mathematics, physics or any of the classical arts ...[text shortened]... other Christians believe what we will, and I (for one) will be happy to do the same for you. 🙂
    Dismissing logic, physics and laws of nature often leads to misery and hell-on Earth. For example, it leads to Christians engaging in a double standard where they feel they have the right to convert, torture or exterminate any other non-Christian group.

Should, let's say, Pagans have the same right to believe what they will without being attacked?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 19:04
    @divegeester said
    I thing to say on the topic as usual Suzianne?
    In English, if you please.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 19:06
    @divegeester said
    Spaghettifcation:

What happens to anything falling into a black hole.

Also analogous of stretched truth and cognition which occurs when a zealot who is already over the event horizon of religious belief, tries to make objective base morality fit the contradict of the religious framework he/she/they find themselves in.
    Sounds like your "Everybody's in!" dogma.

Spaghettification, indeed.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 19:08
    @bunnyknight said
    Dismissing logic, physics and laws of nature often leads to misery and hell-on Earth. For example, it leads to Christians engaging in a double standard where they feel they have the right to convert, torture or exterminate any other non-Christian group.

Should, let's say, Pagans have the same right to believe what they will without being attacked?
    Yes, but for the love of God, both groups need to keep it out of government, whether they are science-starved eveangelicals or science-starved redneck dropped-out-of-school-in-6th-grade types.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 20:01
    @suzianne said

Spaghettification, indeed.
    Look it up poo-for-brains.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 20:02
    @suzianne said
    Yes, but for the love of God, both groups need to keep it out of government, whether they are science-starved eveangelicals or science-starved redneck dropped-out-of-school-in-6th-grade types.
    I don’t see you as being beyond the event horizon with your religious beliefs.
  15. Joined
    04 May '22
    Moves
    02 Jul '22 06:292 edits
    @divegeester

I’d like to posit another (alternative) event horizon*: one where you fall into a “black hole” of open-mindedness – especially open to the possibility that, whatever the seeming surety of your beliefs, you could be wrong. [Metaphorically – and mixing metaphors – there always is the possibility of a “black swan”.]

Such possibility need not impede your ability to make decisions and to act – in moral situations or others. You do the best you can with whatever empirical information you have. You observe; you draw reasonable inferences; you decide – sometimes, perhaps, intuitively.

But you now reject all dogmatic insistences about what you “must believe” (or must not believe). Even if they reflect what you (perhaps nostalgically) would like to believe. You have crossed an event horizon where such dogmatism** is no longer possible for you.

Two opposing event horizons. And with many (most) people iterating between the two?

* In no way disagreeing with your apt usage in the OP.

** Dogmatism here referring to any belief that dare not be questioned (for whatever reason). In Hellenistic times, it referred to schools who either: (1) declared that they had identified unquestionable truth, or (2) declared that such truth was impossible. The Pyhrronians took a middle position: that such truth might be logically possible, but that it had yet to be demonstrated. Pyrrhonian aporia was a virtue of open-mindedness. (And that "yet" carries over to this day.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree