Don't poke fun at the foibles of the church

Don't poke fun at the foibles of the church

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
18 Sep 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
You start something and then cry like the stuck pig that you are, when anybody offends you.
The truth is the truth whether it's told in joke form or in serious context and the truth is : The RCC has hushed up incidents and made it difficult for parents to know what the risks are in allowing priests to be arou ...[text shortened]... hasn't been able to get it back , and it won't as long as the right wing runs it.
I see.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Sep 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
I see.
Do you really?
Do you also see that any political movement derived from an authortarian source cannot be anything but fascist?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
18 Sep 05

Do you really?
Do you also see that any political movement derived from an authortarian source cannot be anything but fascist?
Since when is Love, Truth and Life itself an authoritarian source ?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Sep 05

Originally posted by Halitose
The problem with "offensive religious jokes" is that the jokes are normally offensive to religious people.
well good then considering how religious people are offensive to me.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
18 Sep 05

Love , Truth , and Life are not an authoritarian source , you are correct . I don't think anyone takes issue with that statement . What I and many others do take issue with is that assumption that the RCC (and other religious institutions) are the one and only embodiment of Love , Truth , and Life . "By their fruits ye shall know them" , and the RCC has never failed to produce some pretty rotten fruit through the centurys . This sex scandal with priests and little boys and the church's subsiquent cover up being the latest crop of poison .

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Sep 05

By that do you mean Love of the old testament god that in Truth had Joshua snuff the Life out of as many Canaanite people as he could get his hands on , including children ?

Or do you mean the Love of mankind that Christ spoke of. which in Truth became subordinate to Paul's version of it almost as soon as Christ had lost His Life speaking against Paul's philosophical brothers.

Hate, Lies, and Death have been the handmaidens of the right wing even before there was an RCC or for that matter the OT god that it loves so much.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
18 Sep 05

Originally posted by sonhouse
well good then considering how religious people are offensive to me.
Offensive? In what way are they offensive? Because they are religious?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
18 Sep 05

Offensive? Some but not all. Those who believe they have a monopoly on morality and a duty to impose their rules on the rest of us; yes those people are very offensive

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Sep 05

guess what happened to the guy that wrote this :

"This entire globe, this star, not being subject to death, and dissolution and annihilation being impossible anywhere in Nature, from time to time renews itself by changing and altering all its parts. There is no absolute up or down, as Aristotle taught; no absolute position in space; but the position of a body is relative to that of other bodies. Everywhere there is incessant relative change in position throughout the universe, and the observer is always at the center of things."

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Sep 05

guess what happened to the guy that wrote this :

"This entire globe, this star, not being subject to death, and dissolution and annihilation being impossible anywhere in Nature, from time to time renews itself by changing and altering all its parts. There is no absolute up or down, as Aristotle taught; no absolute position in space; but the po ...[text shortened]... hange in position throughout the universe, and the observer is always at the center of things."
Did he get condemned?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Sep 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Did he get condemned?
8 years of torture and then burnt at the stake

a

Meddling with things

Moves
18 Sep 05
1 edit

8 years of torture and then burnt at the stake
Harsh but fair. Who condemned and burned him? (Was it me?)

a

Meddling with things

Moves
18 Sep 05

When was organised religion ruled by Love Truth and Life?

Put another heretic on the fire, its cold as hell tonight

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
Harsh but fair. Who condemned and burned him? (Was it me?)
It really goes without saying who.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Sep 05

His other works were The Infinity, the Universe and Its Worlds, The Transport of Intrepid Souls, and Cabala of the Steed like unto Pegasus with the Addition of the Ass of Cyllene, an ironical discussion of the pretensions of superstition. This "ass," says Bruno, is to be found everywhere, not only in the church but in courts of law and even in colleges. In his book The Expulsion of the 'Triumphant Beast' he flays the pedantries he finds in Catholic and Protestant cultures. In yet another book The Threefold Leas and Measure of the Three Speculative Sciences and the Principle of Many Practical Arts, we find a discussion on a theme which was to be handled in a later century by the French philosopher Descartes. The book was written five years before Descartes was born and in it he says: "Who so itcheth to Philosophy must set to work by putting all things to the doubt."

No matter what garbage the apologists say about him ,he had the church pegged when he answered the sentence of death by fire with the threatening: "Perhaps you, my judges, pronounce this sentence against me with greater fear than I receive it."