Don't poke fun at the foibles of the church

Don't poke fun at the foibles of the church

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
The discussion we are having has [b]everything to do with opposition stances.

Many feel fervor for their religion or belief system, so it's easy to cause offense in a forum like this. For example, it is not easy for a Christian to see objectively why the phrase "you are going to hell" could be offensive to a non-christian. In the christian m ...[text shortened]... tian viewpoints, you will have created what (perhaps) you really want: A Pro-Christianity Forum.[/b]
BDG: "In the christian mind, it is a warning against ultimate disaster; in the non-christian mind, it is a condemnation of their own personal faith."

For a non-Christian it is just plain non-sense. How on earth can it be something different.

Listen, I am not defending those who utter this kind of "prophecies", because God alone will be the judge of that and nobody can read Gods mind. They simply have no right or authority to claim such a thing in the case of one particular person.

BDP: "In short, I feel that over-moderation, such as you seem to advocate, .... "

C'mon .... overmoderation. I do not want views to be modded but all kinds of insults.

BDP: " .... will be the death of this forum."

C'mon ... I truly believe that if the forums would be modded in such a way that insults and deliberate degrading statements were weeded out, more people would be willing to join the forums, because of a more friendly atmosphere. Now many debaters are being abused.

BDP: " ... By effectively restricting all non-christian viewpoints, ... "

I'm sorry but that's not what I propose. You are strawman reasoning.

BDP: " ... you will have created what (perhaps) you really want: A Pro-Christianity Forum.

Yeah, perhaps ..... c'mon stop speculating. Do you think the admins and mods would allow this to happen. Of course not. .... and besides that, I do not wish such a situation. That would be very dull .... wouldn't it.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
[b] BDG: "In the christian mind, it is a warning against ultimate disaster; in the non-christian mind, it is a condemnation of their own personal faith."

For a non-Christian it is just plain non-sense. How on earth can it be something different.

Listen, I am not defending those who utter this kind of "prophecies", because God alone will be the ...[text shortened]... ... and besides that, I do not wish such a situation. That would be very dull .... wouldn't it.[/b]
"C'mon .... overmoderation. I do not want views to be modded but all kinds of insults. "

liar

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
20 Sep 05

This forum is pro-Christian?
Define "Christian."

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Sep 05

Do you think the admins and mods would allow this to happen.
I wouldn't have thought that they would have allowed a Spirituality ex Debates forum to exist.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I wouldn't have thought that they would have allowed a Spirituality ex Debates forum to exist.
Maybe you and I lack a firm dosis of good old fashioned imagination, Dear Doctor.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Sep 05
2 edits

Originally posted by KneverKnight
This forum is pro-Christian?
Define "Christian."
.... whom are you asking ? Please use the "reply & quote" button in the future.

Don't ask me. I am not the definition man.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
20 Sep 05

.... whom are you asking ? Please use the "reply & quote" button in the future.

Don't ask me. I am not the definition man.
It was a pop-up.
There's so many stripes of Christian that the old "one who believes in Christ" hardly cuts it any more.
You have your RCs, who believe that all others don't go to heaven, your born-agains who believe all others go to hell and so forth; all these sects claiming to hold the *Ultimate Truth*
There should be a program to tell the players apart.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
20 Sep 05

It was a pop-up.
There's so many stripes of Christian that the old "one who believes in Christ" hardly cuts it any more.
You have your RCs, who believe that all others don't go to heaven, your born-agains who believe all others go to hell and so forth; all these sects claiming to hold the *Ultimate Truth*
There should be a program to tell the players apart.
an * about covers Ivanhoe

I heard he eats Wheaties every morning.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
an * about covers Ivanhoe

I heard he eats Wheaties every morning.
Does Wheaties bark, mew or moan?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
20 Sep 05

Does Wheaties bark, mew or moan?
maybe crunch unless its soggy

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
20 Sep 05

[b] BDG: "In the christian mind, it is a warning against ultimate disaster; in the non-christian mind, it is a condemnation of their own personal faith."

Listen, I am not defending those who utter this kind of "prophecies", because God alone will be the ...[text shortened]... ... and besides that, I do not wish such a situation. That would be very dull .... wouldn't it.[/b]

Some Agnostics (such as myself) view this threat of hell as one of the most effective mind control devices used by religion. People of other faiths are effectively being told that their faith is a waste of time. Personally, it does not offend me, but I could see how it could easily offend other non-christians. Even 'nonsense' can be offensive, especially if repeated often.

C'mon .... overmoderation. I do not want views to be modded but all kinds of insults.

Some posts contain both. Would you kill the viewpoints just to get rid of the insults?

C'mon ... I truly believe that if the forums would be modded in such a way that insults and deliberate degrading statements were weeded out, more people would be willing to join the forums, because of a more friendly atmosphere. Now many debaters are being abused.

Balance that against those who leave in disgust after seeing interesting posts and threads disappear.

I'm sorry but that's not what I propose. You are strawman reasoning.

You're not proposing it directly, but it would come about as a result of a policy that protected offensive christian viewpoints as 'necessary for others to understand the belief', while other offensive viewpoints are moderated (by deeming them 'unnecessary'😉.

Yeah, perhaps ..... c'mon stop speculating. Do you think the admins and mods would allow this to happen. Of course not. .... and besides that, I do not wish such a situation. That would be very dull .... wouldn't it.

I'd hope the mods don't allow this to happen, but they have taken steps in that direction.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Sep 05

The things you're saying about religion apply as far as I am concerned more to polical parties, religious or secular.

Would the world be better off without political parties, religious or secular ?
The world is going to have politics even in the absence of religion,
maybe it would be better off without it but you get three people in
a room you get politics, it takes a lot more people in a room to get
into a serious problem with religion. I have suggested there should
be 6 billion separate religions in the world, one per person and
a law saying you can't talk about, or influence in any way, another
persons private religion, banning religious gathering places, talk
about religion or any group advocating religion and any mention
of religion in a group would result in a jail sentence. That would make
for a much more peaceful world but of course be near impossible to
enforce, check out china for the results of that. That in my opinion
would go a long way towards world peace.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by sonhouse
The world is going to have politics even in the absence of religion,
maybe it would be better off without it but you get three people in
a room you get politics, it takes a lot more people in a room to get
into a serious problem with religion. I have suggested there should
be 6 billion separate religions in the world, one per person and
a law saying y ...[text shortened]... out china for the results of that. That in my opinion
would go a long way towards world peace.
They tried that in the USSR; I concede that it was in a less radical way than you are proposing, but it just didn't seem to work. I contend that as long as you have one human in a room there is the posibility of religion in its widests sense. So long as there are humans on this planet, there will be religion.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by Halitose
They tried that in the USSR; I concede that it was in a less radical way than you are proposing, but it just didn't seem to work. I contend that as long as you have one human in a room there is the posibility of religion in its widests sense. So long as there are humans on this planet, there will be religion.
Do you see the ramifications of one man in a room and how in fact that's exactly why we need politics and religion is a personal thing?
We all have our own rooms.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Sep 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
Do you see the ramifications of one man in a room and how in fact that's exactly why we need politics and religion is a personal thing?
We all have our own rooms.

I agree with you that religion should be a personal matter. However, with Christianity there is a special time of worship and fellowship with other believers which form an integral part of our faith. I also contend that sharing your faith (I'm not too fond of "religion" as it is so stigmatised) in a respecful and amicable manner is by no means overstepping personal boundaries.