Does prayer work?

Does prayer work?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
Technically speaking googlefudge (when it is my username) is one word, so shouldn't that be Mr googlefudge?

Or possibly Mr google (or just Mr G? if your going for the bond villain turn) if you're going to contract it...

Mr fudge just sounds weird...

Although frankly sticking Mr in front of most user names sounds weird.... Anachronistic even...
...[text shortened]... than
electronic communications in an internet forum.

Anyhow, good on the point question.
You may call me Ms. Suzianne. 😀

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
You may call me Ms. Suzianne. 😀
Yes ma'am. ;-p

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Oct 12

And sin was created by your god... (in your fictional fairy story)

In fact everything was created by your god, the rules, the punishments, the world... everything.

Thus you can't claim that ANYTHING does not buck stop with your god because according to you,
your god created EVERYTHING.

Your god created a tree of knowledge in his garden of Eden ...[text shortened]... god.

And thus your gods fault.

At least it would be if your religion was actually true.
What makes you use an argument that you do not think is true? I think it is because you are influenced by evil, Satan the devil. Just saying, Spanky. 😏

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
What makes you use an argument that you do not think is true? I think it is because you are influenced by evil, Satan the devil. Just saying, Spanky. 😏
What makes you think that I used an argument I don't think is true?

Hint, I didn't, so you are talking bunk as usual.

rc

Moves
25 Oct 12

For reference because you are obviously incapable of going back and reading posts properly...

[quote]Originally posted by robbie carrobie
[b]you are taking the life of an innocent, it is therefore premeditated murder. Here again is
the voidreasons criteria,

state sanctioned killing of any kind is murder.
any act of a conscious decision ...[text shortened]... oughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/10/21/bad-argument-3-science-says-what/
[/i]
It reads like graffiti on a lavatory wall with the same content.

Moves
25 Oct 12

Technically speaking googlefudge (when it is my username) is one word, so shouldn't that be Mr googlefudge?

Or possibly Mr google (or just Mr G? if your going for the bond villain turn) if you're going to contract it...

Mr fudge just sounds weird...

Although frankly sticking Mr in front of most user names sounds weird.... Anachronistic even...
...[text shortened]... than
electronic communications in an internet forum.

Anyhow, good on the point question.
i like mr.fudge, it makes you sound like a lovable cartoon character, spreading the word of atheism to the children of the world.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Oct 12

What makes you think that I used an argument I don't think is true?

Hint, I didn't, so you are talking bunk as usual.
You wrote, "In fact everything was created by your god, the rules, the punishments, the world... everything.

Your god created a tree of knowledge in his garden of Eden, created Lucifer, and created Adam and Eve.

Your god created the rule about not eating from the tree, and the punishment.

So it was and must have been INTENDED by your god.

And thus your gods fault. "

So now are you saying you believe God created everything. If not, then you are using an argument you really don't think is true. If you think the argument is true, then God must have created everything, as you said.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
25 Oct 12

You wrote, "In fact everything was created by your god, the rules, the punishments, the world... everything.

Your god created a tree of knowledge in his garden of Eden, created Lucifer, and created Adam and Eve.

So it was and must have been INTENDED by your god ...[text shortened]... true. If you think the argument is true, then God must have created everything, as you said.
he's describing the theistic argument and why it breaks down.

lack of reading comprehension is chronic in the theists of this forum.

Moves
25 Oct 12

So it was and must have been INTENDED by your god ...[text shortened]... true. If you think the argument is true, then God must have created everything, as you said.
Yeah I thought this was the way you were failing but I had to make sure.

I don't believe your god exists.

Mainly because your god does not in fact exist.... Thus making believing in your god pretty pointless.

However.

The fact that I don't believe your god is real does not mean that I can't make arguments about that
god IF it were real (as you and yours believe it is).

As your god (or at least it's actions) are described by you and your bible I can make arguments about what
those purported actions mean and my arguments can be true (and generally are) independent of the existence
of the being in question.

In the same way that you can make an argument about a hypothetical situation and believe the argument to
hold and be true without that situation ever actually happening.

I realise that you struggle to cope with hypotheticals but that is hardly my fault.

Moves
25 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
It reads like graffiti on a lavatory wall with the same content.
Do tell me which part of the JW manual tells you that
"when your arguments are proven wrong and/or you are caught lying. Insult the person who defeats you/catches you out
and then run away..."?

Because you have got that bit down to a fine art.

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
i like mr.fudge, it makes you sound like a lovable cartoon character, spreading the word of atheism to the children of the world.
Heh, that made me laugh.

rc

Moves
25 Oct 12

Do tell me which part of the JW manual tells you that
"when your arguments are proven wrong and/or you are caught lying. Insult the person who defeats you/catches you out
and then run away..."?

Because you have got that bit down to a fine art.
another person who believes their own propaganda, neeeeexxt!

rc

Moves
25 Oct 12

Heh, that made me laugh.
awe shucks, isnt that lovely, doesn't it give one a warm glowing feeling inside,

spew!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
25 Oct 12

Heh, that made me laugh.
Perhaps you missed my question on the last page. Here it is again: Just curious, at what point do you consider an unborn baby to be a life and when would it be considered murder? I probably know your answer but I'm still curious...

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
25 Oct 12

Just a "bunch of cells" huh?

What an Unborn Baby Feels

How does it feel to an unborn baby to be nestled securely in the warmth of its mother’s womb and then suddenly be assaulted with deadly force? We can only imagine, for the story will never be told firsthand.
Most abortions are performed in the first 12 weeks of life. By this stage the tiny fetus practices breathing and swallowing, and its heart is beating. It can curl its tiny toes, make a fist, turn flips in its watery world—and feel pain.
Many fetuses are wrenched from the womb and sucked into a jar by a vacuum tube with a sharp edge. The procedure is called vacuum aspiration. The powerful suction (29 times the power of a home vacuum cleaner) tears the tiny body apart. Other babies are aborted by dilation and curettage, a loop-shaped knife scraping the lining of the womb, slicing the infant to pieces.
Fetuses older than 16 weeks may die by the saline abortion, or salt poisoning, method. A long needle pierces the bag of waters, withdraws some of the amniotic fluid, and replaces it with a concentrated salt solution. As the baby swallows and breathes, filling its delicate lungs with the toxic solution, it struggles and convulses.
The caustic effect of the poison burns away the top layer of skin, leaving it raw and shriveled. Its brain may begin to hemorrhage. A painful death may come in hours, though occasionally when labor begins a day or so later, a live but dying baby is delivered.
If the baby is too developed to be killed by these or similar methods, one option remains—hysterotomy, a cesarean section with a twist, ending life instead of saving it. The mother’s abdomen is opened surgically, and almost always a live baby is pulled out. It may even cry. But it must be left to die. Some are deliberately killed by smothering, drowning, and in other ways.