Does anyone know anything at all for sure?

Does anyone know anything at all for sure?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible" (Hebrews 11:1,3).
What part of "certain" don't you understand?

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by Phuzudaka
Ever heard of checking notes with ultra-violet light?
Who hasn't? Is that relevant to the discussion or do you just like asking sideways questions?

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
Then my facts would be in error correct.
Kelly
So you agree that there is no way to identify whether anything is fact or not?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
So you agree that there is no way to identify whether anything is fact or not?
Did I say that? No, I said I can something I believe is a fact and
be wrong. If you want to reject everything, fine with me, why bother
asking a question since no answer will do?
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 07

Did I say that? No, I said I can something I believe is a fact and
be wrong. If you want to reject everything, fine with me, why bother
asking a question since no answer will do?
Kelly
But you haven't answered the question. You were asked whether you could know if something is a fact. You said you knew about the 10 dollar bill. Then you admitted that you did not actually know that that was a fact.
So are you simply avoiding answering the question? Because there sure isn't a definite answer in any of your posts.
Lets make it easy:
Is there a way to know if something is a fact. Yes or no.
If yes then do you know the way. Yes or no.
If yes are you willing to tell us what it is. Yes or no.
If yes then lets have it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
But you haven't answered the question. You were asked whether you could know if something is a fact. You said you knew about the 10 dollar bill. Then you admitted that you did not actually know that that was a fact.
So are you simply avoiding answering the question? Because there sure isn't a definite answer in any of your posts.
Lets make it easy:
Is ...[text shortened]... es or no.
If yes are you willing to tell us what it is. Yes or no.
If yes then lets have it.
I said I believed it was a fact, I was going to go about my day as if
it is a fact, and act upon it as a fact, make my life fit into the idea
that it was a fact. If I found out otherwise, that I was mistaken, than
that would be a reality check upon my life. I did not say I could know
nothing as factual. It is because as you point out means I was acting
upon my faith that it was what I believed it to be.
Kelly

Illinois

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by bbarr
What part of "certain" don't you understand?
"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible" (Hebrews 11:1,3).

Faith is a means of knowledge--certain knowledge. You misunderstand faith.

S

Moves
24 May 07

And you recreate its meaning to suit intangible concepts.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by Starrman
And you recreate its meaning to suit intangible concepts.
Why don't you give the meaning, since you imply you have one.
Kelly

s

Moves
24 May 07

Does not your Hebrews verses mean that faith is 'things hoped for' and 'not seen'; in other words not 'knowledge'?

Earl of Rochester

Restoration London

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
It's self evident. "I" is defined as that which experiences.

My version of Descartes' famous line is "I perceive, therefore I am".
I perceive therefore I am?

I perceive a rock therefore it exists?

There is no way of knowing that the rock is real/exists through any sensory enquiry, it is a subjective judgment.

As with any interpretation of sensory information.

I sense myself, am aware, I sense I have thoughts, but to say "I am", I exist, is no different from making the claim that the rock I sense exists.

Consciousness is untouchable through rationality. No one person alive or dead has ever said anything meaningful about what it is to perceive. To say "I perceive, therefore I am" means as much as saying "Walls are solid therefore plums taste sweet".

Illinois

Moves
25 May 07

Originally posted by snowinscotland
Does not your Hebrews verses mean that faith is 'things hoped for' and 'not seen'; in other words not 'knowledge'?
Faith is the assurance of 'things hoped for' and 'not seen'. Most people misunderstand faith as being mere belief (that is, an opinion without proof), but faith as described biblically is, in contrast to belief, the direct perception of what is 'hoped for' and 'not seen'. And because it is a direct perception of truth, faith is a means of acquiring knowledge: "By faith we understand (know) that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible" (Hebrews 11:3).

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
25 May 07

No, you don't understand the notion of certainty. Since you can't rule out the mere possibility that your faith in God is mistaken, you aren't absolutely certain in the deliverances of faith. You may be convinced; you may not be able to imagine being incorrect, but this isn't to be certain in the epistemic sense, which requires having evidence sufficient to guarantee the truth of some belief.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
25 May 07

Faith is the assurance of 'things hoped for' and 'not seen'. Most people misunderstand faith as being mere belief (that is, an opinion without proof), but faith as described biblically is, in contrast to belief, the direct perception of what is 'hoped for' and 'not seen'. And because it is a direct perception of truth, faith is a means of ...[text shortened]... f God, so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible" (Hebrews 11:3).
It is consistent with the totaliity of the content of your experiences that those experiences result from some Matrix-style manipulation of your neurology. Hence, there at least a very slight possibility that your "direct perceptions" are merely instances of it seeming to you as though you directly perceive whatever it is you take yourself to be perceiving. Hence you are not certain in an epistemic sense.

S

Moves
25 May 07

Why don't you give the meaning, since you imply you have one.
Kelly
I already have, and you already replied to that definition. Do pay attention.