Does anyone know anything at all for sure?

Does anyone know anything at all for sure?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
17 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Phuzudaka
If you jump out of a jetliner at an altitude of 10000m without a parachute you will injure yourself. I know that and a lot of other stuff for sure.
What if there is a floating platform just outside the door of the jet liner? And is death from lack of oxygen really called an "injury"

P

Moves
17 May 07
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
What if there is a floating platform just outside the door of the jet liner? And is death from lack of oxygen really called an "injury"
Show me a floating platform, and then we can talk.

I said "without a parachute", I didn't say "without an oxygen mask". Genius.

Ps: Ever heard of a fatal injury? Genius.

G

Moves
18 May 07

It's probably your mother's fault you're an idiot.

G

Moves
18 May 07

It's your own fault you need to acknowledge it.

G

Moves
18 May 07

Without slaves people would see the mistakes that God made.

G

Moves
18 May 07

Large groups of people playing with themselves is disgusting, despite the fun it may FEEL.

G

Moves
18 May 07

Through hard times in life, people with little self-worth LOVE knocking on your back-door.

G

Moves
18 May 07

A gay man will do anything to FEEL love from others.

Cape Town

Moves
18 May 07

I said "without a parachute", I didn't say "without an oxygen mask". Genius.
You didn't say "with an oxygen mask" so your claim must hold for all cases.

P

Moves
18 May 07

You didn't say "with an oxygen mask" so your claim must hold for all cases.
Ignoramus. I said "without a parachute". That implies that the only thing the guy doesn't have to survive a jump from that altitude is a parachute.

Did I have to say that the guy had jocks on? Or did you assume he was jumping with his frog suit?

S

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
It's self evident. "I" is defined as that which experiences.

My version of Descartes' famous line is "I perceive, therefore I am".
That's presupposition on the nature of 'I'. Self identity might also be an illusion, we'd have to accept that axiom that the self really exists before we could say whether or not it percieves.

Also, perception is a process which requires the external world, something we have not yet established as existing when dealing with self-being. Descartes uses 'thinking' to establish a subjective state, whatever it may be and regardless of its interaction with anything else. He claims that he is a thinking thing so as to give himself an arena to begin with. Choosing to say a percieving thing is taking one step to far, since you are relying on both an external world and any apparatus/judgements required in the percieving process.

S

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by Gascraft
A gay man will do anything to FEEL love from others.
Are you in jail yet?

Cape Town

Moves
18 May 07

Ignoramus. I said "without a parachute". That implies that the only thing the guy doesn't have to survive a jump from that altitude is a parachute.
No such thing was implied in your statement. But then arguing with you was always a waste of time because you are not sincere and simply say something stupid every time you are proved wrong.

Cape Town

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by Starrman
That's presupposition on the nature of 'I'. Self identity might also be an illusion, we'd have to accept that axiom that the self really exists before we could say whether or not it percieves.

Also, perception is a process which requires the external world, something we have not yet established as existing when dealing with self-being. Descartes uses 't ...[text shortened]... on both an external world and any apparatus/judgements required in the percieving process.
Yep thats what I was trying to say, I just don't have skill of putting it into words that you do.
I also think that once you establish that you are perceiving and you exist then you must be able to be sure of more than just the single fact that you exist, so the original claim that it is the only thing you can be sure of does not hold.

S

Moves
18 May 07

Yep thats what I was trying to say, I just don't have skill of putting it into words that you do.
I also think that once you establish that you are perceiving and you exist then you must be able to be sure of more than just the single fact that you exist, so the original claim that it is the only thing you can be sure of does not hold.
Actually I think Descartes is wrong too. The presupposition of self-being exists in his argument too. Personally the only escape from the quandry of the real is to just accept a common sense view of existence. The world is, in at least a basic way, just the way I presume it to be. Subjectivity becomes objectivity for day to day perception of things, and philosopising on their nature to any further degree should probably be something purely for academic purposes.