1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 08:511 edit
    Do you believe in any weird things?

"Weird things" are defined here as being the subject of beliefs that are not widely shared or little known or hard to explain [or even things you refuse to dismiss even though you don't quite believe them either] but...

NOT including mainstream beliefs in supernatural causality etc. that form the basis of "revealed" religions [even if non-religious people might think they are weird].

Example: the resurrection of Christ, young-Earth creationism and transubstantiation [or people believing that the universe has always existed], for the purposes of this thread, are NOT deemed weird.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 09:03
    @FMF
    I don't believe in anything,strictly speaking.
    But I realize that that's how people speak.
    I slip into it as well. Saying I believe this or that.
    But closely examined, (self) knowledge needs no consenting from anyone else. And your belief is not required
    As regards to weird things I see the language shifting in accordance with understanding of all phenomena.
    What was once weird is now becoming more everyday, whereas that which is standard is starting to seem more weird by the day
    I would replace the new seemingly weird with the word "dysfunctional".
    If you follow...
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 09:36
    @fmf said
    Having given your question considerable thought, on and off, for appropriately 37 minutes, I would say that I don’t believe in any “weird things”.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 09:39
    @divegeester said
    Having given your question considerable thought, on and off, for appropriately 37 minutes, I would say that I don’t believe in any “weird things”.
    Could you give one example of a weird thing you don't believe in please?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 09:48
    @divegeester said
    37 minutes? It's weird that you waited so long.

Do you believe that you waited so long?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 09:533 edits
    @karoly-aczel said
    Could you give one example of a weird thing you don't believe in please?
    Sure.

One weird thing which I don’t believe in is the notion that a benevolent, omnipotent and omnipresent God would create a scenario where the vast bulk of his beloved creation would be eternally tortured by him personally, in a place created by him personally due to a situation created by him personally and which was only alluded to in contradictory texts in a book written by dozens of human authors over a period of thousands of years, the last contribution of which was to two millennia ago and which has become compromised by hundreds of translations which have added to its controversy and detracted from its integrity.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 10:01
    @divegeester said
    Sure.

One weird thing which I don’t believe in is the notion that a benevolent, omnipotent and omnipresent God would create a scenario where the vast bulk of his beloved creation would be eternally tortured by him personally, in a place created by him personally due to a situation created by him personally and which was only alluded to in contradictory texts in a book ...[text shortened]... ed by hundreds of translations which have added to its controversy and detracted from its integrity.
    Thanks. I see where you're coming from here
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 10:03
    @divegeester said
    One weird thing which I don’t believe in is the notion that a benevolent, omnipotent and omnipresent God would create a scenario where the vast bulk of his beloved creation would be eternally tortured by him personally, in a place created by him personally due to a situation created by him personally and which was only alluded to in contradictory texts in a book written b ...[text shortened]... ed by hundreds of translations which have added to its controversy and detracted from its integrity.
    SORRY. NO MAINSTREAM "WEIRD" THINGS PLEASE.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 10:15
    @fmf said
    I believe that most Christians here who believe in eternal suffering will avoid Thread 191981
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 10:17
    @divegeester said
    I believe that most Christians here who believe in eternal suffering will avoid Thread 191981
    Too mainstream?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 10:23
    @divegeester said
    MAINSTREAM! FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS THREAD, THIS BELIEF IS TOO REASONABLE.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 10:24
    @divegeester said
    Too mainstream?
    Yep. Too many hundreds of millions of people say they believe it and don't think it's weird. DISQUALIFIED.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 10:56
    @fmf said
    things you refuse to dismiss even though you don't quite believe them either
    I have seen a few rather mystifying things in Java in orbit of my family that involved - allegedly or perhaps even seemingly - the spirits of [relatively recently deceased ancestors] that baffled me ... there was some weirdness, which I don't intend to describe... and I don't actively believe there's any substance to the incidents, but... having said that, nor am I willing to dismiss them completely.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 12:22
    @FMF

"Do you believe in any weird things?"

I believe in perpetual motion machines. Isn't that weird?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '22 12:33
    @josephw said
    @FMF

"Do you believe in any weird things?"

I believe in perpetual motion machines. Isn't that weird?
    I saw one on a street in central Tokyo. It had been there for years. They had to replace all parts of it because they wore out, including the discreet little electrical motor that kept it going.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree