Do we have ontological priority?

Do we have ontological priority?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
18 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by frogstomp
WTF does assigning a priority to the metaphysical study of the nature of being and existence have to do with you still having a blank slate for a brain?
I still think "ontological priority" may be a piece of jargon his is misusing from Heidegger, but I don't know. I studied philosophy in English universities, and maybe things are different where he is.

I think the question, taken as a whole, has quite a lot to do with his blank-slate brain.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by dottewell
I still think "ontological priority" may be a piece of jargon his is misusing from Heidegger, but I don't know. I studied philosophy in English universities, and maybe things are different where he is.

I think the question, taken as a whole, has quite a lot to do with his blank-slate brain.
Maybe, but words have meanings and idiomatic phrases that aren't readily deciphered are useless.

"He who knows doesn't speak and he who speaks doesn't know"

d

Moves
18 Apr 06

Maybe, but words have meanings and idiomatic phrases that aren't readily deciphered are useless.

Couldn't agree more - particularly since he has refused repeated requests to clarify.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
18 Apr 06

Originally posted by dottewell
Couldn't agree more - particularly since he has refused repeated requests to clarify.
His subscription to scholarlysoundingwords.com ran out. He'll be back.

g

Moves
18 Apr 06
2 edits

Silence is a source of great strength - Lao Tzu

🙂 gil

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Apr 06
1 edit

My impression is that he's asking "nature or nurture?" with respect to morality. Ontological Priority would be his term for "nurture", while "intrinsic morality" would be his term for "nature" - with respect to how we develop moral beliefs as well as personality traits that are present more in one gender than the other.

At least I think that's what he meant.

Why can't people learn to communicate more clearly?

Vn

Moves
20 Apr 06

Vn

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Vladamir no1
Do we have ontological priority or do we possess an intrisic morality....
personally I think ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc. Other than that we're a tabla rasa...
I hope this definition makes sense. To those of you who were genuine with your interest but were confused I apologise and hope this defintion clears things up. As for you 'others' who trawl this forum to pedantically nay anally pick apart any statement or word that you 'think' will allow you to have fun, grow up and stick to the general forum.

It's quite simple (much like dottewell)

Ontological priority = The priority of 'being', there are no intrinsic possessions, we are if you like a tabla rasa
Intrinsic morality = Intrinsic morals such as knowing not to kill etc etc

Do we have ontological priority or do we possess an intrisic morality....
personally I think ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc.

d

Moves
20 Apr 06

I hope this definition makes sense. To those of you who were genuine with your interest but were confused I apologise and hope this defintion clears things up. As for you 'others' who trawl this forum to pedantically nay anally pick apart any statement or word that you 'think' will allow you to have fun, grow up and stick to the general forum.

It's ...[text shortened]... ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc.
That a very interesting definition of "ontological priority".

Vn

Moves
20 Apr 06

It's ...[text shortened]... ontology wins, all we have that's intrinsic is primal urges, the need to procreate etc.
So can we get some view in this now ??

Vn

Moves
20 Apr 06

So can we get some views on this now ??

l

London

Moves
20 Apr 06

What makes you think the priority of being rules out "intrinsic possessions" (what I'll take to be essential attributes or properties)?

Vn

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
What makes you think the priority of being rules out "intrinsic possessions" (what I'll take to be essential attributes or properties)?
Because I don't believe we have anything intrinsic other than the will to survive, procreate and be aggressive if needs be . Mother natures survival pack...Everyth ing else is what culture has embodied us with , therefore it is not intrinsic

l

London

Moves
20 Apr 06

Because I don't believe we have anything intrinsic other than the will to survive, procreate and be aggressive if needs be . Mother natures survival pack...Everyth ing else is what culture has embodied us with , therefore it is not intrinsic
But even animals show what is recognisably compassion, kindness, some kind of an ethical code etc.

Vn

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
But even animals show what is recognisably compassion, kindness, some kind of an ethical code etc.
they show love for their young (again a necessary intinsic possession for the species survival) but what else? What ethic code? Survival of the fittest? animals with an ethical code??!!