Divine immunity from moral censure

Divine immunity from moral censure

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
30 Sep 07

Is there anything that God could do, or let happen, whose negative consequences, from a human perspsctive, would be so bad, that His perfect goodness would be legitimately called into question?

MMM

Moves
30 Sep 07

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
Is there anything that God could do, or let happen, whose negative consequences, from a human perspsctive, would be so bad, that His perfect goodness would be legitimately called into question?
He'd have to exist first, for the question to be valid

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
30 Sep 07

Originally posted by Mad Mac MacMad
He'd have to exist first, for the question to be valid
No, only for it to be sound. Ask Dr. Scribbles.

s

Moves
30 Sep 07

It already happened.
But christians have allways the "god has mysterious ways" or "we can't understand god's purposes".

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
30 Sep 07

The circular argumentation used by those who believe in God would say no because then he would not be all-loving, but by that token he would neither be all-powerful. Seems he's put himself in a bit of a bind.

w

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by agryson
The circular argumentation used by those who believe in God would say no because then he would not be all-loving, but by that token he would neither be all-powerful. Seems he's put himself in a bit of a bind.
So to be all loving one must be all controlling? Perhaps you want him to control you? Now thats what I call love!!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 07

If he existed, yes.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
So to be all loving one must be all controlling? Perhaps you want him to control you? Now thats what I call love!!
I think of it like tackling a loved one when the automatic fire starts in a drive by. That's forcing the person, and it's love.

It seems to me that Christians are obligated to let their children die to bullets, drowning, electricity, whatever rather than protect them, since "controlling others" is supposedly so awful in Christianity.

Are you familiar with the story of God hardening the Pharoah's heart? Clearly he will control people on occasion. I guess free will is not THAT important to him.

(Examples - http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/hardened.html)

w

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I think of it like tackling a loved one when the automatic fire starts in a drive by. That's forcing the person, and it's love.

It seems to me that Christians are obligated to let their children die to bullets, drowning, electricity, whatever rather than protect them, since "controlling others" is supposedly so awful in Christianity.

Are you fa ...[text shortened]... AT important to him.

(Examples - http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/hardened.html)
No doubt, not controlling others is a messy business. In fact, love is a messy proposition. Don't tell me you have never been hurt....or are you the heart breaker?

As far as Pharoah goes, he had already made his decision when he continued to force the Israelites to be slaves. God was simply making an example of him openly.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 07
4 edits

No doubt, not controlling others is a messy business. In fact, love is a messy proposition. Don't tell me you have never been hurt....or are you the heart breaker?

As far as Pharoah goes, he had already made his decision when he continued to force the Israelites to be slaves. God was simply making an example of him openly.
That's not what the Bible says (for the most part) according to the translations I've seen. How did you come to this interpretation? According to Exodus, God forced Pharoah not to let the Israelites go by hardening his heart.

1 Samuel 6:6 seems to agree with you, but Exodus in many places does not.

w

Moves
01 Oct 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
That's not what the Bible says (for the most part) according to the translations I've seen. How did you come to this interpretation? According to Exodus, God forced Pharoah not to let the Israelites go by hardening his heart.

1 Samuel 6:6 seems to agree with you, but Exodus in many places does not.
What I am saying is that the Pharoah did not want the Israelites to go free. Why should he? They were free labor. You might say that God was simply forcing him to uphold his own free will despite the plagues.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
01 Oct 07

What I am saying is that the Pharoah did not want the Israelites to go free. Why should he? They were free labor. You might say that God was simply forcing him to uphold his own free will despite the plagues.
Why would God need to force him to do that which he was already going to do anyway?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Oct 07

whodey: forcing him to uphold his own free will

LMAO!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 07

How do you know what he wanted? The situation is far more complex than free labor vs lack of free labor. There's conscience, advisors, propaganda, persuasion, lust and all kinds of other factors that can influence an individual. You can't just assume that anyone would feel a certain way simply because they want free labor.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
01 Oct 07

perhaps if Pharoah had let the Isrealites go on the first asking, the people of Egypt would have attacked them as they fled, instead the plagues were visited on them, thus breaking their spirit and making it safe for them to leave.