Dependencies for 'Chrisitan' salvation

Dependencies for 'Chrisitan' salvation

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So do you have your own opinion about salvation that you are willing to defend or do you just enjoy belittling and making fun of other people's beliefs? Also why are you genuinely interested in something that you claim doesn't exist? It's like an atheist claiming to be genuinely interested in God, but when challenged about something they have said they just hide behind their atheism and claim they have no beliefs.
As i have already said (to you), I have no reason to believe there is "salvation" or an "afterlife". I am interested in how and why people argue that these things do exist. I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us, but I find it interesting to talk to people who think He has.

Your puzzlement at my interest in spiritual matters is not as compelling a 'point' as you may think it is in the context of the interesting conversation we have been having.

If you have had - as it sometimes seems - little or no interaction with non-Christians who are interested in engaging you about the matters of belief and disbelief and lack of belief, then you should consider embracing the opportunity this forum provides.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
As i have already said (to you), I have no reason to believe there is "salvation" or an "afterlife". I am interested in how and why people argue that these things do exist. I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us, but I find it interesting to talk to people who think He has.

Your puzzlement at my interest in spiritual matters is not as compelling ...[text shortened]... lief and lack of belief, then you should consider embracing the opportunity this forum provides.
Do you think people who believe in salvation and an afterlife are stupid, ignorant or less intelligent than you are?

Do you take pleasure in making fun of people who do not share your beliefs?

Moves
21 Aug 16

Do you think people who believe in salvation and an afterlife are stupid, ignorant or less intelligent than you are?

FMF just stated, 'I am genuinely interested in what Christians claim about the afterlife and what they claim are the requirements of salvation. I am not pretending to care.'

Do you think he would have said this if he thought 'people who believe in salvation and an afterlife are stupid?'

F

Moves
21 Aug 16
1 edit

I don't make fun of people who don't share my beliefs. I question them. I offer observations. I confront them when i don't think they are making sense. I point out contradictions or inconsistencies when i think I encounter them. I am forthright in my dissent and disagreement and I'm happy to explain why. But i don't make fun of people for their beliefs.

Nor am i a racist. Or a sexist. I don't make fun of people's appearance or of their sexual orientation. I don't make fun of people's age or people with physical disabilities. So, in a similar vein, I don't make fun of people's religion or beliefs.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't make fun of people who don't share my beliefs. I question them. I offer observations. I confront them when i don't think they are making sense. I point out contradictions or inconsistencies when i think I encounter them. I am forthright in my dissent and disagreement and I'm happy to explain why. But i don't make fun of people for their beliefs.

Nor ...[text shortened]... physical disabilities. So, in a similar vein, I don't make fun of people's religion or beliefs.
Thanks for clearing that up. On a side note, do you think it is fair to challenge other people's beliefs if you cannot offer them a better alternative? For example you ridicule the Bible as a source of revelation but you base your beliefs only on a gut feeling. How is that any better from your point of view?

F

Moves
21 Aug 16

Thanks for clearing that up. On a side note, do you think it is fair to challenge other people's beliefs if you cannot offer them a better alternative? For example you ridicule the Bible as a source of revelation but you base your beliefs only on a gut feeling. How is that any better from your point of view?
No, I don't think it's "unfair" to challenge someone's beliefs and more especially not on a forum dedicated to debate and discussion of beliefs. I don't think there is any onus on me to try to replace your beliefs with my own. I don't "ridicule" the Bible.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
No, I don't think it's "unfair" to challenge someone's beliefs and more especially not on a forum dedicated to debate and discussion of beliefs. I don't think there is any onus on me to try to replace your beliefs with my own. I don't "ridicule" the Bible.
So your sole aim is simply to cause other people to lack belief in the same things that you lack belief in? Isn't that like the blind trying to lead those that can see?

F

Moves
21 Aug 16

So your sole aim is simply to cause other people to lack belief in the same things that you lack belief in? Isn't that like the blind trying to lead those that can see?
My sole aim (here) is to talk about spiritual matters with people who have different beliefs. The only thing I might be said to want to "cause" in others is discussion and debate. I don't think either of us is "blind".

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
My sole aim (here) is to talk about spiritual matters with people who have different beliefs. The only thing I might be said to want to "cause" in others is discussion and debate. I don't think either of us is "blind".
Ok thanks for clearing that up. If you don't mind me asking when you were a Christian, what did you perceive to be "The gospel of Jesus Christ"?

F

Moves
21 Aug 16

Ok thanks for clearing that up. If you don't mind me asking when you were a Christian, what did you perceive to be "The gospel of Jesus Christ"?
I don't know what you're trying to ask me about.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't know what you're trying to ask me about.
Which denomination of Christianity did you subscribe to when you were a Christian?

I am surprised that you don't know what I am trying to ask you. It seems there are many Christians today who claim to be Christians but have no idea what Christianty is all about.

F

Moves
21 Aug 16
1 edit

Which denomination of Christianity did you subscribe to when you were a Christian?

I am surprised that you don't know what I am trying to ask you. It seems there are many Christians today who claim to be Christians but have no idea what Christianty is all about.
I was a Catholic. I don't care in the slightest if you think I had "no idea what Christianity was all about" back then. Nothing could more remote or irrelevant to me today than your estimation or endorsement/denunciation of what I did or did not believe a decade or two decades or three decades ago.

Several posters here - sonship, Suzianne, robbie carrobie, KellyJay and a few others - have claimed I am flat out lying about my Christian past. It matters not one whit to me.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I was a Catholic. I don't care in the slightest if you think I had "no idea what Christianity was all about" back then. Nothing could more remote or irrelevant to me today than your estimation or endorsement/denunciation of what I did or did not believe a decade or two decades or three decades ago.

Several posters here - sonship, Suzianne, robbie carrobie, ...[text shortened]... thers - have claimed I am flat out lying about my Christian past. It matters not one whit to me.
Would you ever entertain the slightest possibility that maybe what you used to believe was not the genuine article of Christianty in its purest form?

F

Moves
21 Aug 16

Would you ever entertain the slightest possibility that maybe what you used to believe was not the genuine article of Christianty in its purest form?
I don't care in the slightest what you think of what i believed in the 1980s and 1990s. It is of absolutely no interest to me. It felt genuine to me at the time. Speculating about whether it complies with what you happen think is "genuine" or "pure" is of no concern to me. I am not trying to promote it or convince anyone of its merits or authenticity.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
22 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't care in the slightest what you think of what i believed in the 1980s and 1990s. It is of absolutely no interest to me. It felt genuine to me at the time. Speculating about whether it complies with what you happen think is "genuine" or "pure" is of no concern to me. I am not trying to promote it or convince anyone of its merits or authenticity.
I am not speculating, I am asking you if you would ever entertain the thought that maybe the form of Christianity that you had was not genuine? When you say it felt genuine at the time you are not answering my question are you?