Define consciousness

Define consciousness

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Dec 19

@fmf said
It simply means that my consciousness will one day cease.
Mine won't.

When my body dies then will I know what consciousness is really for, because I will fly into eternity. 🦅

F

Moves
12 Dec 19

@secondson said
Look, I understand if you feel the need to introduce into the discussion that I believe in things like eternity, and though I do I'm sincerely trying to understand what consciousness is, and I don't think you know what it is any better than I.
It was you who introduced the notion of eternity into this discussion. Not me. It is you who has mentioned it over and over and over again.

F

Moves
12 Dec 19

@secondson said
We know we have consciousness and that we can link it to all sorts of capacities, but what is consciousness?

Seems there's something wrong with the asking. Maybe we should ask why or how.
what is consciousness? Seems there's something wrong with the asking.

How so?

F

Moves
12 Dec 19

@secondson said
Mine won't.

When my body dies then will I know what consciousness is really for, because I will fly into eternity. 🦅
So you believe that some part of the definition of a person's consciousness is that it is indestructible or everlasting, something along those lines?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
13 Dec 19

@fmf said
It was you who introduced the notion of eternity into this discussion. Not me. It is you who has mentioned it over and over and over again.
Because I believe that the reason for consciousness is to give man the awareness of more than just the temporal.

F

Moves
13 Dec 19

@secondson said
Because I believe that the reason for consciousness is to give man the awareness of more than just the temporal.
"The reason for consciousness" is to "give" us something?

If you want to say something religious, why don't you just come out and say it?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
13 Dec 19

@fmf said
what is consciousness? Seems there's something wrong with the asking.

How so?
Because it is so obvious.

What consciousness is is what it does. Our consciousness tells us, informs us, that there is something beyond our finite and temporal existence. That we are aware of forever and ever.

We only imagine that life ceases after death. We don't know that for a fact, but we are aware, conscious, of life everlasting.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
13 Dec 19

@fmf said
"The reason for consciousness" is to "give" us something?

If you want to say something religious, why don't you just come out and say it?
You must have been awfully religious at one time.

F

Moves
13 Dec 19

@secondson said
Because it is so obvious.

What consciousness is is what it does. Our consciousness tells us, informs us, that there is something beyond our finite and temporal existence. That we are aware of forever and ever.

We only imagine that life ceases after death. We don't know that for a fact, but we are aware, conscious, of life everlasting.
You said: what is consciousness? Seems there's something wrong with the asking.

What is it you think is "wrong" with asking 'what is consciousness?'

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
13 Dec 19

@fmf said
So you believe that some part of the definition of a person's consciousness is that it is indestructible or everlasting, something along those lines?
Death of the body is bad enough, but the cessation of life is abhorrent.

F

Moves
13 Dec 19

@secondson said
Our consciousness tells us, informs us, that there is something beyond our finite and temporal existence. That we are aware of forever and ever.

Speculating about "forever and ever" and "life everlasting" and "something beyond our finite and temporal existence" is merely one of the countless things our consciousness enable us to be aware of or think about.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
13 Dec 19

@fmf said
What is it you think is "wrong" with asking 'what is consciousness?'
That we have to ask.

I gotta go now.

F

Moves
13 Dec 19

@secondson said
Death of the body is bad enough, but the cessation of life is abhorrent.
You'll perhaps need to tell yourself there's life after death then or subscribe to an ideology that assures you that there is.

F

Moves
13 Dec 19

@secondson said
That we have to ask.
But you don't have to ask if you don't want to. What makes you think you have to ask?

F

Moves
13 Dec 19
1 edit

@secondson said
You must have been awfully religious at one time.
If you want to assert something religious about consciousness lasting for eternity, why don't you just come out and say it unequivocally?