Define consciousness

Define consciousness

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Dec 19

@secondson said
I think our consciousnesses gives us the awareness of our capacities to think, of brain functions, but consciousness isn't the cause of those capacities.
consciousness isn't the cause of those capacities

If you're saying that our consciousness is the result of brain functions/cognitive capacities, then I agree. Consciousness isn't the cause of those capacities: it's the other way around.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Dec 19

@fmf said
No, it certainly wouldn't qualify as a "definitive definition" [and the same might be said about my attempts to cobble one together] because "awareness of the finiteness of self" is only one particular aspect of awareness of self; the capacities we have that comprise consciousness are able to get to grips with countless other aspects of self than just "finiteness".

Same goes ...[text shortened]... one can have consciousness without spending any time at all considering "the infinite and eternal".
So, then, how would one "define", with the least common denominator, what consciousness is? What does it do or what is it for primarily as a function of what man is?

Does consciousness exists as a component of our material bodies, or could it be a component of an aspect of self not related to physical matter?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Dec 19

@fmf said
consciousness isn't the cause of those capacities

If you're saying that our consciousness is the result of brain functions/cognitive capacities, then I agree. Consciousness isn't the cause of those capacities: it's the other way around.
But how would you know, without consciousness, that those capacities were functioning?

Consciousness must come first, otherwise self awareness wouldn't exist.

F

Moves
11 Dec 19

@secondson said
So, then, how would one "define", with the least common denominator, what consciousness is?
I think the best stab at it I had on page 1 was:

The capacity to access memories and recognize oneself as the witness and perpetrator of the events they record.

F

Moves
11 Dec 19

@secondson said
So, then, how would one "define", with the least common denominator, what consciousness is? What does it do or what is it for primarily as a function of what man is?
What does consciousness do or what is it for primarily as a function of what man is?

It facilitates the interactions that comprise the substance of our social/communal lives.

F

Moves
11 Dec 19

@secondson said
But how would you know, without consciousness, that those capacities were functioning?
Those capacities function, therefore we are able to perceive and analyze our consciousness.

F

Moves
11 Dec 19

@secondson said
Consciousness must come first, otherwise self awareness wouldn't exist.
If you say "consciousness must come first", that's all well and good, but that isn't really a definition of consciousness though, is it? If you are simply saying, consciousness = self-awareness, so be it.

F

Moves
11 Dec 19

@secondson said
Does consciousness exists as a component of our material bodies, or could it be a component of an aspect of self not related to physical matter?
I lean towards the former. If you want to argue that consciousness is an aspect of self not related to "physical matter" [by which I take it you mean consciousness is not reliant on biological function] feel free to offer a definition that lays that out.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Dec 19

@fmf said
I think the best stab at it I had on page 1 was:

The capacity to access memories and recognize oneself as the witness and perpetrator of the events they record.
That says what consciousness does, not what it is.

The title of the thread is "define consciousness". Its definition is what it is, not what it does. Strictly speaking, to my way of thinking.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Dec 19

@fmf said
What does consciousness do or what is it for primarily as a function of what man is?

It facilitates the interactions that comprise the substance of our social/communal lives.
Here again you're telling me what it does.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Dec 19

@fmf said
Those capacities function, therefore we are able to perceive and analyze our consciousness.
Consciousness "perceives" those capacities. Not the other way around, from my point of view.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Dec 19

@fmf said
If you say "consciousness must come first", that's all well and good, but that isn't really a definition of consciousness though, is it? If you are simply saying, consciousness = self-awareness, so be it.
Isn't that what consciousness is? That component of what we are that gives us self awareness of our finite capacities, in contrast to the awareness of the infinite and eternal?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Dec 19

@fmf said
I lean towards the former. If you want to argue that consciousness is an aspect of self not related to "physical matter" [by which I take it you mean consciousness is not reliant on biological function] feel free to offer a definition that lays that out.
You just did.

Consciousness is not reliant on biological function. Unfortunately there isn't a definition I'm aware of that would convince you that that is true, except to say you'll have to take it on faith. 🙂

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
11 Dec 19

Dogs and cats are conscious, but they have no awareness of eternity. Dogs and cats don't even have awareness of "tomorrow" or "next week." They have memories, but no concept of "last week."

F

Moves
12 Dec 19

@secondson said
Here again you're telling me what it does.
That's right. I was answering this question from you:

"What does consciousness do or what is it for primarily as a function of what man is?"

So, yes, I was telling you what it does, because you asked me to.