Debate moderation

Debate moderation

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
28 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
I think the capacity to philosophize is an integral ingredient in the human spirit's capacity for the abstract and therefore essential to any conception of human spirituality. I resist the commandeering of the word "spiritual" to exclude celebration of the human spirit as it is (as I see it), and instead loading the word up only with superstitions, divine beings ...[text shortened]... l the partisan mundane religionist and human spirit-frittering posturing that follows in tow. πŸ™‚
i agree, but most came to see spirituality forum as the communication of religious dogma (christianity or dasa), without accepting any kind of contrary opinion, of discussion.

just as the debate forum came to mean mostly US politics.

renaming the spirituality forum into philosophy would, i believe, encourage more diverse topics.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
28 Nov 14

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
i agree, but most came to see spirituality forum as the communication of religious dogma (christianity or dasa), without accepting any kind of contrary opinion, of discussion.

just as the debate forum came to mean mostly US politics.

renaming the spirituality forum into philosophy would, i believe, encourage more diverse topics.
True religion is not debatable.

Only false religion is debatable because it contains many many falsehoods which were conceived by mundane charlatans.

But you would not know this because there is not one person in this forum who know the difference between false religion and true religion.

This is why you band Christianity together with Vedic spirituality/religion. (because you have no clue)

It like banding together football and ping pong.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Nov 14

Originally posted by Dasa

Stop bringing it up in debates then!

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Nov 14

Only false religion is debatable because it contains many many falsehoods which were conceived by mundane charlatans.

But you would not know this because there is not one person in this forum who know the difference between false religion and true religion.

This is why you band Christianity together with Vedic spirituality/religion. (because you have no clue)

It like banding together football and ping pong.
Or chess and boxing?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Nov 14

Originally posted by Agerg
So essentially, in your world, NOT conforming to atheist rules on religious debates is for all intents and purposes synonymous with posting crap when it bears relevance to how good a thread is!!
Well, no. I'd ask for a refund on whatever you paid for your Logic classes, if I were you. But you do get the latest FMF award for misdirection and misrepresentation. Congratulations.

Moves
29 Nov 14

...there is not one person in this forum who know the difference between false religion and true religion...
Not even one? You didn't really think that one through, did you? πŸ™„

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
29 Nov 14
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
Well, no. I'd ask for a refund on whatever you paid for your Logic classes, if I were you. But you do get the latest FMF award for misdirection and misrepresentation. Congratulations.
Ah you want a little bit more detail, ok. You said:
So a "good thread" is only those conforming to atheist rules on what a religious debate should be?

Now if we let G denote "good thread", and A denote "conforming to atheist rules on what a religious debate should be" then we can say that you concluded:

G => A
I.e. good thread implies conforming to atheist rules on what a religious debate should be
Still with me? Good, now apply the contrapositive law to get
¬A => ¬G
I.e. NOT conforming to atheist rules on what a religious debate should be implies NOT good thread

For the next step, recall what I said initially for you to reach this conclusion
Call me a pessimist but what happens when the likes of Dasa and "friends" are on the case? How exactly can even a good thread be moderated once it devolves into a mud fight? (as is often the case these days)

Letting D denote Dasa and "Friends", and M denote mud fight it should be clear I was implying here that

D ^ M => ¬G.

But now recall that you concluded from this I meant
¬A => ¬G,
and so we have, in your world that
(D ^ M => ¬G) ~ (¬A => ¬G)
where tilde here is taken to mean equivalence

i.e. (D ^ M) ~ ¬A,

which is to say:

So essentially, in your world, NOT conforming to atheist rules on religious debates is for all intents and purposes synonymous with posting crap when it bears relevance to how good a thread is!!
Where Dasa and friends AND mudfight is equivalent to posting crap

You're welcome πŸ™‚

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Dec 14

Ah you want a little bit more detail, ok. You said:
So a "good thread" is only those conforming to atheist rules on what a religious debate should be?

Now if we let G denote "good thread", and A denote "conforming to atheist rules on what a religious debate should be" then we can say that you concluded:

G => A [hidden]I.e. good thread implies ...[text shortened]... ]Where Dasa and friends AND mudfight is equivalent to posting crap[/hidden]

You're welcome πŸ™‚
All logic turns to crap when the "givens" are found to be not true. If you start with crap, you end with crap, no matter how much you try to polish it up.

F

Moves
01 Dec 14

All logic turns to crap when the "givens" are found to be not true. If you start with crap, you end with crap, no matter how much you try to polish it up.
Perhaps you feel the need to give him a thumbs down?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
01 Dec 14

Well I think the real issue here is that your initial conclusion didn't follow from the givens - hence we end up with the crap you mention.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
01 Dec 14

You're welcome πŸ™‚
Fascinating!

Btw, what do you do in your day job?

The poem in your profile is a great piece, but it doesn't tell me much about you...

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
01 Dec 14
2 edits

Originally posted by CalJust
Fascinating!

Btw, what do you do in your day job?

The poem in your profile is a great piece, but it doesn't tell me much about you...
Putting aside my scepticism
Because I'm being heckled by Suzianne, and fighting back ... and she's on your side
, I'll take this one at face value.
My day job, far away from what I studied at uni (pure maths) is as a software developer (mainly C++ but a few other languages thrown in on the side).

As for the poem, I have yet to write the third (the ending will be a stalemate), but in the words of Larry Wall, it'll be ready by Christmas
Though don't ask me *which* Christmas!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Stop bringing it up in debates then!
Ouch! right in gentleman's front trouser area.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Dec 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps you feel the need to give him a thumbs down?
Perhaps you do?

It fits your style, alright.

Oh, wait. You only thumb down the people YOU don't agree with, those with differing beliefs from your own.

Never confronting, only slithering around in the background, getting other people to do your confronting for you, always appearing to be "the nice guy" or as "appealing to reason". Please.

F

Moves
02 Dec 14

Oh, wait. You only thumb down the people YOU don't agree with, those with differing beliefs from your own.
I don't thumb down anybody.