Dawkins supports eugenics.

Dawkins supports eugenics.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
I did.
Same old tricks. You did not answer the question.

What will happen to people who will be deformed as a result of these eugenic programs.

Answer the question, marauder.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
[b]Saying someone has superior abilities in a certain field isn't saying they are instrinsically "superior" to other humans.

Thanks for stating the obvious (and restating what I wrote earlier). But breeding someone for a particular ability does mean that that ability is viewed in some way and by some people in a manner that confers superiority ...[text shortened]... he's reached an age of decision, can the parent sue his child for the damages incurred?[/b]
"Some people" will always consider something something. That's hardly an argument.

They'd have as much "right" to sue a child bred to be the next Mozart as they would to sue a child they spent thousands of dollars on piano lessons for. That is, none.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Same old tricks. You did not answer the question.

What will happen to people who will be deformed as a result of these eugenic programs.

Answer the question, marauder.
Why are so thick? "Deformed" humans have the same natural rights as any other humans. So they'd be treated the same as anybody else. What's so hard to understand about that?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

He really doesn't care. As long as society and folk don't stand in the way of his pleasures and "freedoms", it doesn't matter whether the world goes to hell.
... and as long as he will be "no1", the liberal hero ....

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

He really doesn't care. As long as society and folk don't stand in the way of his pleasures and "freedoms", it doesn't matter whether the world goes to hell.
Get a soapbox. The level of hysterical discourse being engaged in by you and Ivanhoe is amusing, if intellectually vapid.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Get a soapbox. The level of hysterical discourse being engaged in by you and Ivanhoe is amusing, if intellectually vapid.
"intellectually vapid" -- some new words! Congratulations, no1.

Naturally your own responses are the very epitome of intellect.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Why are so thick? "Deformed" humans have the same natural rights as any other humans. So they'd be treated the same as anybody else. What's so hard to understand about that?
.... are you simply that stupid and blind ?

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06
2 edits

"Some people" will always consider something something. That's hardly an argument.

They'd have as much "right" to sue a child bred to be the next Mozart as they would to sue a child they spent thousands of dollars on piano lessons for. That is, none.
By endorsing eugenics, society endorses those very same somethings. Quite simple.

They'd have as much "right" to sue a child bred to be the next Mozart as they would to sue a child they spent thousands of dollars on piano lessons for.

You can spend thousands of dollars on a child with no musical talent; you cannot blame him/her for not wanting to follow it. Whereas a child bred to be the next Mozart is a completely different investment.

EDIT: Or maybe instead of suing the child, the parent will sue the clinic that bred the child! Caveat vendor and all that.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

You don't find it amusing at all, liar. You are irritated by it, just as you always are if people contradict you and expose your ideas for what they really are.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Are you simply a hysterical nut case? Why do you bother asking questions when you refuse to rationally discuss the issue when people answer them?

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

No, in his Utopia (which bears a striking resemblance to the United States of America -- at least in foundational principles), deformed people are treated with the same dignity and rights that normal people have.

Better still, there are no deformed people!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

By endorsing eugenics, society endorses those very same somethings. Quite simple.

[b]They'd have as much "right" to sue a child bred to be the next Mozart as they would to sue a child they spent thousands of dollars on piano lessons for.

You can spend thousands of dollars on a child with no musical talent; you cannot blame him/her for not wanting to follow it. Whereas a child bred to be the next Mozart is an investment.[/b]
Rational people judge that the ability is desirable, not that the people who possess it are superior. What irrational people think is their own problem.

Both would be "investments".

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Are you simply a hysterical nut case? Why do you bother asking questions when you refuse to rationally discuss the issue when people answer them?
Same old labelling of your opponents ... how boring ....

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Nov 06

I have hereditary myopia. Should it turn out that this physical defect has a genetic cause, why would it be wrong to tweak my progeny's DNA to do away with it?

Simple practical matters such as these are positive arguments for a humane eugenics, in my view.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Rational people judge that the ability is desirable, not that the people who possess it are superior. What irrational people think is their own problem.

Both would be "investments".
Maybe I will have to reconsider my attitude towards the US if these ideas become rampant over there. France will be happy to become the leader of the "counterweight" nations in the world ...... 😉