Dawkins supports eugenics.

Dawkins supports eugenics.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
[b]I wasn't aware that salvation was one of the intended properties of birth control.

I'm not sure how that follows from what I've written.

Prejudice is always present and would be even if we were all god-abiding Christians. I'm as fearful of the intentions of religious figureheads as I am of secular ones on the subject of human nature; eugenics is just one of the issues of worry.

Then there's some hope left yet. 🙂[/b]
It is just a pose. He'll agree with it in due time.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I don't regard far fetched "slippery slope" arguments as "rational".
An argument based on known patterns of human behaviour is very much rational. It may not be logically necessary, though.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

No ivanhoe, they will be "bred" out of existence.
.... interesting thought, LH ....

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Starrman
I sincerely doubt you wouldn't[sic] know the rational reasoning of liberal folks if it appeared to you as a burning bush.
You really need to get rid of those stereotypes.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

[b]Paragraph 1 is a non sequitur to a discussion of whether we should attempt to breed humans with particular abilities.

Really? Were we talking about breeding humans to have disabilities? Or to have below-average intelligence? Or to be tone deaf? Or to be completely rubbish at dancing?

Paragraph 2 gets a so what from me. No one can reall ...[text shortened]... ty.

Maybe. But I didn't say I would provide reasons specific to your view of morality.[/b]
Hysteria is always a welcome response.

Saying someone has superior abilities in a certain field isn't saying they are instrinsically "superior" to other humans. Mike Tyson has superior boxing abilities but I wouldn't consider him a "superior" human being. This point seems rather self-evident.

Paragraph 2 remains of no consequence. What one can do to a horse or a cow is morally different from what one can do to a human. Trying to state the situation would be analogous is a red herring and scare mongering.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
.... interesting thought, LH ....
I was listening to Dawkins on Radio 4 this morning and his theory of how religion is a manifestation of certain genes competing for survival.

As I said before, I'm just waiting for him to put that together with (what appears to be) an increasingly positive view of eugenics before coming up with the obvious.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Well, adress this matter then, marauder. What if the breeding fails and the human being in case will be deformed in one way or the other ? What should happen to this human being ?
The same thing that happens to any other human being.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Starrman
I'm not necessarily in favour of eugenics, but, like Dawkins, I am in favour of intelligent debate on the issue as well as a clarification of what constitutes eugenics and whether there are both good and bad uses of it. Unfortunately, as whodey and others have demonstrated, you mention the word and the bandwagon rolls into town.
You are "not necessarily" in favour of eugenics .....

You do not know yourself nor do you know the ideology you adhere to.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

I was listening to Dawkins on Radio 4 this morning and his theory of how religion is a manifestation of certain genes competing for survival.

As I said before, I'm just waiting for him to put that together with (what appears to be) an increasingly positive view of eugenics before coming up with the obvious.
Hello, Chicken Little. Watch out for chunks of sky.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

The same thing that happens to any other human being.
Are you starting to dodge the questions that early in the dicussion ?

Answer the question, marauder

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Are you starting to dodge the questions that early in the dicussion ?

Answer the question, marauder
I did.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Hysteria is always a welcome response.

Saying someone has superior abilities in a certain field isn't saying they are instrinsically "superior" to other humans. Mike Tyson has superior boxing abilities but I wouldn't consider him a "superior" human being. This point seems rather self-evident.

Paragraph 2 remains of no consequence. ...[text shortened]... an. Trying to state the situation would be analogous is a red herring and scare mongering.
Saying someone has superior abilities in a certain field isn't saying they are instrinsically "superior" to other humans.

Thanks for stating the obvious (and restating what I wrote earlier). But breeding someone for a particular ability does mean that that ability is viewed in some way and by some people in a manner that confers superiority on that person.

What one can do to a horse or a cow is morally different from what one can do to a human. Trying to state the situation would be analogous is a red herring and scare mongering.

It's not "scare mongering" to state the obvious. Since Dawkins himself raises the question of breeding as with cows and horses I don't see why we shouldn't continue to look at what happens to cows and horses.

Tell me, if a parent spends a lot of money to breed a child to be the next Mozart and the child refuses to pursue music once he's reached an age of decision, can the parent sue his child for the damages incurred?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Again irrational reasoning from your side. You refuse to go into matters. You refuse to see the relationship between certain ideas. Your reputation of big blind elephant is strenghtened by this attitude of yours.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Hello Ostrich. Enjoying the worms?

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Again irrational reasoning from your side. You refuse to go into matters. You refuse to see the relationship between certain ideas. Your reputation of big blind elephant is strenghtened by this attitude of yours.
He really doesn't care. As long as society and folk don't stand in the way of his pleasures and "freedoms", it doesn't matter whether the world goes to hell.