Dawkins supports eugenics.

Dawkins supports eugenics.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Can't you see that the whole circus of the abortion, euthanasia and stemcell research debate will start all over, but now about eugenics.

I claimed that the euthanasia discussion would lead to a discussion to kill those not being able to utter their wishes and see what has happened, despite the claim from your side that this was not going to happen. It w ...[text shortened]... s and under carefully designed rukes for monitoring the eugenics processes. Right, marauder ?
A claim that someone will eventually discuss something is bound to be true, so you hardly gain the status of a prophet for saying so.

You and others are equivocating with the term "eugenics"; perhaps we can get back to the issue Dawkins raised i.e. whether attempting to breed humans so that they have certain abilities is "morally acceptable" or not. This issue is clearly distinct from your other pet issues (at least as far as I'm concerned and you haven't given any rational reason to link them).

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Yes, everyone in the Netherlands is an expert on such matters.
What is your take on Dutch laws and practices on abortion and euthanasia?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

... and again the burden of proof regarding moral acceptability of eugenics is not laid on the shoulders of those putting forward the idea, but on those who are against it .... the beat goes on ... and the manipulating goes on.

Nice political tactics ... put forward an idea and if nobody is able, and nobody will be able in the eyes of those in favour, the idea is morally acceptable.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by telerion
I'm just reading the passage. It's pretty clear from it that he does not support eugenics. It's only your insatiable desire to demonize non-believers that causes you to see it any other way.

Obviously you don't like Dawkins for many reasons. You hardly need to put words into his mouth to dislike him.
telerion: "It's pretty clear from it that he does not support eugenics."

Are you sure ? Don't be so damned naïve. Of course he's in favour of it.

l

London

Moves
23 Nov 06

telerion: "It's pretty clear from it that he does not support eugenics."

Are you sure ? Don't be so damned naïve. Of course he's in favour of it.
Well he does claim to know of some persuasive arguments against it.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Sure.

Eugenics presupposes that a certain class of people (with the traits we want to breed for) are "superior" to the rest of humanity -- not merely that they have superior abilities in a particular sphere of human endeavour, but that they are intrinsically superior; i.e. have greater worth, value and/or dignity. Training a person to develop the a a utilitarian or pseudo-utilitarian model of morality, these would come into consideration.
Paragraph 1 is a non sequitur to a discussion of whether we should attempt to breed humans with particular abilities. I didn't hear Dawkins saying people who have mathematical or musical abilities are "superior" to the rest of humanity.

Paragraph 2 gets a so what from me. No one can really be compelled to follow any particular field whether they were "bred" for it or not. This is a red herring.

Paragraph 3 is irrelevant to my viewpoint as I did not subscribe to utilitarian or pseudo-utilitarian (whatever that is) models of morality.

S

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by whodey
Is'nt it funny how people can dismiss the morality and/or perspectives of people who lived in times past when they are so blantantly and obviously contrary and wrong in our own eyes today? This is what happens when one allows themselves to adapt to the morality/perspectives of the culture in which they reside instead of holding themselves to a higher moral a ...[text shortened]... aivering and which may or may not run contrary to the common accepted morality/view of the day.
I'm not dismissing anything. Clearly you are applying as liberal an interpretation to my posts as you are to Dawkins'.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

A claim that someone will eventually discuss something is bound to be true, so you hardly gain the status of a prophet for saying so.

You and others are equivocating with the term "eugenics"; perhaps we can get back to the issue Dawkins raised i.e. whether attempting to breed humans so that they have certain abilities is "morally acceptable" o ...[text shortened]... (at least as far as I'm concerned and you haven't given any rational reason to link them).
I will even predict that you are or will be in favour of eugenics.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

What is your take on Dutch laws and practices on abortion and euthanasia?
It's been discussed ad nauseum in other threads and is off-topic here.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

You and others are equivocating with the term "eugenics"; perhaps we can get back to the issue Dawkins raised i.e. whether attempting to breed humans so that they have certain abilities is "morally acceptable" o ...[text shortened]... (at least as far as I'm concerned and you haven't given any rational reason to link them).
marauder; " .... at least as far as I'm concerned and you haven't given any rational reason to link them"

Haven't I ? You still can't read.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

I will even predict that you are or will be in favour of eugenics.
Why don't you define what you mean by "eugenics" and I'll tell you whether I'm in favor of it (though I'd rather stick to the topic of breeding humans to possess certain abilities which apparently you don't regard as the full scope of eugenics).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

marauder; " .... at least as far as I'm concerned and you haven't given any rational reason to link them"

Haven't I ? You still can't read.
I don't regard far fetched "slippery slope" arguments as "rational".

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

It's been discussed ad nauseum in other threads and is off-topic here.
You simply don't know anything about it, marauder.

S

Moves
23 Nov 06

And that sure helped save civilisation, didn't it?

If racism was prevalent then, something else is prevalent now. As I said earlier, I'm just waiting for Dawkins to put his views on eugenics together with his theories on religious genes to argue that religious folk should not be allowed to breed.
I wasn't aware that salvation was one of the intended properties of birth control.

Prejudice is always present and would be even if we were all god-abiding Christians. I'm as fearful of the intentions of religious figureheads as I am of secular ones on the subject of human nature; eugenics is just one of the issues of worry.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

I don't regard far fetched "slippery slope" arguments as "rational".
I told you you don't know how to read.