Credit Where Credit is Due

Credit Where Credit is Due

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Aug 21

Christian Growth: Pray-reading the Word, Part 1 of 2

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Aug 21

Christian Growth: Pray-reading the Word, Part 2 of 2

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Aug 21
1 edit

@sonship said
Brother Witness Lee did a great service to modern day Christians by encouraging this practice on a large scale to the Christian public in general.
Then why did he write:

'Roman Catholicism and Protestantism, as well as Judaism, all [have] become an organization of Satan.'

Edit: The amusing thing here is that your only real quibble with the above quote from Lee was that he said organizations, not organization, and even on that small point you were wrong.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 21
3 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke
Concerning teaching Christians to go directly to the Bible to feed their spirits and see the light of truth -

Brother Witness Lee did a great service to modern day Christians by encouraging this practice on a large scale to the Christian public in general.

There are other forms of serving the people of God.

Providing a service to Christians may not always be saying soothing things. Providing service may entail frank diagnosis of to serve believer with an honest assessment of how the spiritual enemy is attacking.

Ghost-of-a-Duke must feel that serving fellow Christians is always one unending stream of commentary flattering. Of course we read through the Bible we see prophets who cared had to sometimes speak words to expose the degree of degradation that had set in.

Reading the New Testament epistles to the churches could correct the naivete of the atheist. But Ghost is not likely to actually read through the New Testament when he can merely pretend to know all about it.

At any rate a service to those captured away into a confusion of mixture diluting our experience of Christ is to frankly expose exactly where the problem lies.

In the parable below of Jesus, He warned His disciples that it was possible that the entire enterprise of the gospel of the kingdom could be influenced negatively like leaven corrupts fine flour.

"Another parable He spoke to them: The kingdom of the heavens is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal until the whole was leavened." (Matt. 13:33)

The fine flour we may take as the Gospel of the kingdom.
The woman is in a negative light not positive.
She is negative because "leaven' is so often a negative symbol for corruption in behavior and hypocrisy in worship and false teachings.

"And He charged them, saying, Watch! Beware of the LEAVEN of the Pharisees and the LEAVEN of Herod." (Mark 8:15)

Leaven here is a symbol the negative corruption of Herod who was superstitious and the Pharisees who had all kinds of schemes to shut up and shut down Jesus.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 21

The Apostle Paul reminds the church in Corinth that they are an unleavened loaf that should remain unleavened. And the old corrupting leaven that does creep into the church life should be purged out.

"Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Purge out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, even as you are UNLEAVENED; . . ." ( 1 Cor. 5:6,7a)

The nature of the church is that she should be UNLEAVENED. When the corruption of LEAVEN invades the church it should be recognized, identified, and purged out. And if this calls for protesting that Satan has gained too much ground in the organization of Christians then it should be said - AS a service.

The exposure is not to hurt people's feelings for its own sake. It is the faithful warning that a little leaven has entirely spread and infested into too much of the Christian church.

Leaven is also equated with malice and evil.

"So then let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth." (1 Cor. 5:8)

But what if the corrupting leaven as infested almost every branch of an organization which bears the name of Jesus Christ? To rescue the saints a faithful exhortation may be necessary that the seriousness of the departure from the healthy situation may be seen. That is that the devil's subtle influence dragging the saints down, may be exposed to the light of truth. Then we can repent and return to the living God.

If God didn't care He would not have His servants say anything.
Because He does love and care for His people He may prompt a servant who is not a man-pleasure to speak a frank word to serve His people.

"As many as I love I reprove and discipline; be zealous therefore and repent." (Rev. 3:19)

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Aug 21

@sonship said
Ghost-of-a-Duke must feel that serving fellow Christians is always one unending stream of commentary flattering. Of course we read through the Bible we see prophets who cared had to sometimes speak words to expose the degree of degradation that had set in.
It is one thing to identify some degree of degradation, but another entirely to condemn Christians to Satan.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 21
4 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Am I correct that in your childhood you spent some time in Roman Catholicism?

I ask because I have seen staunch atheists who were Catholics as kids, who still nevertheless flinch when they hear criticism of Roman Catholicism. On one hand they cavalierly say "You know I am an unconcerned atheist about it all." But cringe a bit at criticism of degraded organized religion. Maybe their memories are not all that bad about their upbringing in the RCC one of her offshoots.

The parable of the woman who hid leaven in three measures of fine flour said that the entire lump was leavened.

It is not a matter of condemning Christians to Satan. It is a matter of sounding the alarm that he has infiltrated completely the sphere of believers so as to keep them from growing spiritually. This is spiritual warfare.

I am going to bet that though you want the coolness of boasting you're an atheist and have no concern about it, your childhood upbringing still causes a reaction when hear frank critiques of degradation in organized Christianity.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Aug 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Am I correct that in your childhood you spent some time in Roman Catholicism?

I ask because I have seen staunch atheists who were Catholics as kids, who still nevertheless flinch when they hear criticism of Roman Catholicism. On one hand they cavalierly say "You know I am an unconcerned atheist about it all." But cringe a bit at criticism of degr ...[text shortened]... bringing still causes a reaction when hear frank critiques of degradation in organized Christianity.
No. I have spent no time growing up in Roman Catholicism or indeed any other religion.

You lost your bet. (It was always a long shot.)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 21

Pray-reading the word of God is helpful in reconnecting the believer with the Holy Spirit in the word. When you pray over the Scriptures it is not that easy to be led astray by teachings leading one AWAY from Jesus Christ.

Praying over the words of the bible fosters dependence and trust in God.
Some good sounding teaching can water down your appetite for God.
Some good sounding teaching may cool down your love for God.
Some scholarly sounding teaching can sometimes cause one to feel more and more independent from God - trusting rather human wisdom.

A safe guard from not losing one's first love for the living God is to read His word with a prayerful, musing, meditating, even proclaiming spirit.

I think it kills Ghost to recognize this. He seems to want to find "organization of Satan" on every page of Brother Lee's messages. That's all Ghost wants to remember - "organization of Satan".

However an effective way OUT of the spreading influence of God's enemy in the church - ONE way, not THE one and only way - is to let the word of Christ dwell in us richly - praying over the words of the Bible touching the Spirit with our spirit.

Paul exhorted the Ephesians to take the word of God as the sword of the Spirit by means of all prayer.

"And receive the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which Spirit is the word of God,

By means of all prayer and petition, praying at every time in spirit and watching unto this . . . " (Eph. 6:17,18a Recovery Version)

Protect the mind with the "helmet of salvation".
Receive the Holy Spirit as a sword to slay the spiritual enemies.
Taking the word of God " by means of all prayer and petition, praying at every time . . . "

That means praying over and with the word that the word may be an effective offensive weapon to cut through the devil's devices against believers.

Praying the word is for nourishment.
Praying the word of God is also for stabbing the spiritual evil forces to defeat the devil.

Praise the Lord for pray-reading the word of God.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Aug 21
1 edit

Pray 'or' read the Bible. Indeed do both, separately.

But avoid the slippery slope of pray reading, incantations, repetition, chanting, talking in tongues, mysticism, numerology, charlatan mumbo-jumbo.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 21

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Okay, Then I stand corrected.
Childhood memories in religion is not your problem according to you.

And hating brothers and sisters caught in the confusion of degraded Christianity organizations is not mine. Nor was it Brother Witness Lee's.

Lee showed remedy, a way OUT, a cure which included every believer not waiting for the clerical class to teach everything. But they themselves should develop a habit to pray-read the words of the Bible that God may speak expressly to our hearts.

"The word of Jehovah came expressly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans; and the hand of Jehovah was upon him there." (Ezek. 1:3)

Christians should not just sit in pews listening to the pastor give an eloquent sermon week after week. They should develop a "root system" of regular intimate times in the word of God - praying the Bible that God may speak EXPRESSLY to each one.

Then the churches will grow to become organisms of living God and not just organizations susceptible to deadness, corruption, leavening, and the Devil's trickery.

Paul warned that in the last of days some would have the FORM of godliness yet be in denial of the life power of the godly divine life.

"But know this, that in the last days difficult times will come, for men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boasters, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents unthankful, unholy, . . . etc. Having an outward form of godliness, though denying its power; from these also turn away." (see 2 Tim. 3:1-5)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 21
1 edit

You call praying with the Scriptures a slippery slope?
You have slipped to fall flat a long time ago not even believing in God.

Had you done a little praying over the words of God in the Bible you probably would not have slipped up so badly to think there is no God.

The slippery "OOOPS!" is on you. Better repent and pick yourself up and walk again towards the God who is real and take in His words of salvation.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
29 Aug 21

@sonship said
You call praying with the Scriptures a slippery slope?
You have slipped to fall flat a long time ago not even believing in God.

Had you done a little praying over the words of God in the Bible you probably would not have slipped up so badly to think there is no God.

The slippery "OOOPS!" is on you. Better repent and pick yourself up and walk again towards the God who is real and take in His words of salvation.
Your attempt to bring fellow Christians onto the slippery slope of pray reading and charlatan mumbo-jumbo deserves to be flagged up.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
29 Aug 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Okay, Then I stand corrected.
Childhood memories in religion is not your problem according to you.
According to me? Who else is a greater authority on my own childhood.

You have been floundering in the last few threads trying to find a chink in my atheism. First you fling the weird assumption I was once a Roman Catholic. Wrong! - Then you think you have found me avoiding saying 'all' gods were invented by man. Wrong! I'll happily shout that from the rooftops. Your God and all gods have their origin in the human mind, a mind trying to make sense of existence.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Aug 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
According to me? Who else is a greater authority on my own childhood.

You have been floundering in the last few threads trying to find a chink in my atheism. First you fling the weird assumption I was once a Roman Catholic. Wrong! - Then you think you have found me avoiding saying 'all' gods were invented by man. Wrong! I'll happily shout that from the rooftops. Your God and all gods have their origin in the human mind, a mind trying to make sense of existence.
You're the one too chicken to define "atheism".

No position is the strongest position to defend.