1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 01:36
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think the Bible says very little regarding the appearance of Jesus.

We can however extrapolate some things from the region he lived in.
    Well, the Bible does say that there was nothing about his appearance that was different from anyone else.

Middle eastern. Semitic. Dark skinned. Black hair and eyes. Being a carpenter it can be assumed he had callouses.

The amazing thing though is that he is God! 😉
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 02:12
    @rajk999 said
    Which of these does the bible depict Jesus as having
    - blue eyes
    - long blond hair
    - fair skin
    ??????
    Answer - NONE.

Therefore there should be NO depiction of any kind. Even if you knew these thiings, God does not approve of any statues or images. The reason is simple, that these material things become the objects of worship.

Christians have in their homes pictures ...[text shortened]... ed son of a pope from the 15th century. Many churches do the very same thing that God said to avoid.
    Gee wiz Rajk, you are going to see Jesus someday aren't you? Don't you wonder what he might look like?

Is that a sin?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 02:12
    @philokalia said
    It is also funny to hear US Marxists rail against Korean Christians, when I also think that they are of equal fervor.

Of course, Marxists, Christians, and Muslims all believe in very different things, so their fervor has very different forms.
    But who in here is a US Marxist?
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 02:28
    @bigdoggproblem said
    It's funny to me when I hear US Christians rail against Islamic Fundamentalism, when so many of them are of equal fervor.

Back when I used to watch Christian Television, some of the commentators would speak wistfully of the punishments doled out for blasphemy by more hard-line nations, wishing they could do the same here. At least they were honest!
    Where did that post come from?

It's not Islamic fundamentalism that's the problem. Right?

Christian fundamentalism isn't the problem either. It's the extremist that are the problem.

Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhist, atheists and Hindus can live together even though we don't agree on the fundamentals.

But there are idiots everywhere.

If someone wants to draw a picture of Jesus in a dress with tits that's their problem. It's not blasphemy against me, but it is my belief it is against God. So what if I believe that? My choice. Right?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 02:32
    @wolfgang59 said
    I don't think atheists preach to other atheists and tell them their atheism isn't true atheism!
    What's there to tell?

Does one atheist say to another, 'I don't believe God exists more than you?' 😜
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 02:51
    @secondson said
    Where did that post come from?

It's not Islamic fundamentalism that's the problem. Right?

Christian fundamentalism isn't the problem either. It's the extremist that are the problem.

Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhist, atheists and Hindus can live together even though we don't agree on the fundamentals.

But there are idiots everywhere.

If someone wants to dr ...[text shortened]... hemy against me, but it is my belief it is against God. So what if I believe that? My choice. Right?
    I would have had a less strong reaction if you had simply condemned the image of the OP as blasphemous. But you went quite a bit further than this.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 03:02
    @wolfgang59 said
    That's a very responsible position.
    If only all religious folk could keep themselves to themselves.
    Except those who say this, well, it's simply never true.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 03:151 edit
    @philokalia said
    The problem is that,

if you do not do politics, politics will be dune unto you.

We've learned the lessons of Russia.

And before Russia, people learned the lessons of even places here like Korea, where the King had Christians martyred, and where Buddhists were crushed and closely controlled by the King and the Confucian elites.

To keep quiet and passive because atheists are annoyed is not just illogical, but it is also cowardice.
    I have never understood why Christians are on the right.

Everything Jesus taught says nothing like "God wants you to be wealthy." Or "God wants you to treat your fellow humans as less than human." Or "Rights only belong to those who do as we do."

Apathy towards those who have less than we do is simply not a Christian position, yet one that seems pushed by Republicans. I meet very few Republicans trying to get the poor fed or housed. I understand that lying and narcissism is a popular political stand right now, but I see no reason in the world why this should include Christians. People who need help should be our focus, not ourselves.
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 04:53
    @bigdoggproblem said
    But who in here is a US Marxist?
    I have a personal policy of not ascribing titles to people that they do not like. But I assume Soothfast, who uses an Antifa inspired avatar, is perhaps a literal Marxist or at least would admit being influenced by it. Another users,No1Marauder, had to change his avatar because it was an image of IRA fighters, who were Marxist, and thus theoretically he could be said to be somewhat in line with them. Perhaps he would more adamantly deny this, but just as how things like 'white nationalist' stick to people who are not white nationalist, 'Marxist' can stick to people who are not necessarily explicitly Marxist, but perhaps crypto-Marxists.

I wouldn't refer to specific individuals as such, but it is fair to asy that things like BLM are Marxist in some capacity.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 04:55
    @suzianne said
    I have never understood why Christians are on the right.

Everything Jesus taught says nothing like "God wants you to be wealthy." Or "God wants you to treat your fellow humans as less than human." Or "Rights only belong to those who do as we do."

Apathy towards those who have less than we do is simply not a Christian position, yet one that seems pushed by Republicans ...[text shortened]... world why this should include Christians. People who need help should be our focus, not ourselves.
    Because of things like

When we were actually with you we gave you this principle to work on: “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.”

2 Thess. 3:10

Moreover, there is a natural inclination among Americans to believe that big government decreases your liberty, and that the efforts of private individuals are sufficient.

It's not about some concept that being wealthy is a virtue unto itself.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 08:09
    @philokalia said
    Another users,No1Marauder, had to change his avatar because it was an image of IRA fighters, who were Marxist,
    Some Marxists caused a schism in the IRA calling themselves the "Official IRA"
    while the vast majority were the "Provisional IRA". The two groups were routinely
    at war.

To casually call IRA fighters Marxists is untrue.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 08:12
    @philokalia said
    Moreover, there is a natural inclination among Americans to believe that big government decreases your liberty, and that the efforts of private individuals are sufficient.
    What is "natural" about this inclination that you imagine?

And when you say "Americans" you are presumably talking about the minority who voted for Trump?
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 13:08
    @wolfgang59 said
    Some Marxists caused a schism in the IRA calling themselves the "Official IRA"
    while the vast majority were the "Provisional IRA". The two groups were routinely
    at war.

To casually call IRA fighters Marxists is untrue.
    Would you care to elaborate? I am unfamiliar with this because I am not a big Ireland fan or anything.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 13:101 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    What is "natural" about this inclination that you imagine?

And when you say "Americans" you are presumably talking about the minority who voted for Trump?
    The word natural here refers to the unforced & often-seen nature of the inclination. Like how it is more natural for a Muslim, or even a person who is an ex-Muslim from an Muslim home, to wash their feet standing up or to perhaps have a more conservative view of sexuality than, say, a Swede.

... I am referring to many Americans, including those who did not vote for Trump. But sure, it odens't fi tabsolutely every one of them.

Would you say Americans do not favor small goernment compared to others?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Sep '20 00:48
    @philokalia said
    Would you care to elaborate? I am unfamiliar with this because I am not a big Ireland fan or anything.
    Elaborate?
    The IRA were not a Marxist organisation.
    The small splinter group "Official IRA" was.

You say you are not a big Ireland fan but are confident enough to call
    the IRA Marxists and by association No1Marauder a Marxist too!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree