1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 15:30
    @neilarini said
    I saw the image of Christ depicted on a cheese thin this morning.

Is the Lord communicating the message of a vegetarian diet in general or specially advocating my spiritual need for cheese?
    No. That's just you making yourself look immature.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 15:32
    @secondson said
    No. That's just you making yourself look immature.
    Nothing worse than an immature cheese.

😆
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 15:35
    @secondson said
    Would you accept that that is what the Bible says?

Isn't that a depiction found in God's Word?

Does the Bible depict Jesus as having breasts, wearing makeup and wearing a dress? And for that matter, is Jesus depicted in the Bible as having anything to do with sin and ungodly conduct and behavior?

Thank you sir for reinforcing my point.
    I think the Bible says very little regarding the appearance of Jesus.

We can however extrapolate some things from the region he lived in.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 16:11
    @secondson said
    Would you accept that that is what the Bible says?

Isn't that a depiction found in God's Word?

Does the Bible depict Jesus as having breasts, wearing makeup and wearing a dress? And for that matter, is Jesus depicted in the Bible as having anything to do with sin and ungodly conduct and behavior?

Thank you sir for reinforcing my point.
    Which of these does the bible depict Jesus as having
    - blue eyes
    - long blond hair
    - fair skin
    ??????
    Answer - NONE.

Therefore there should be NO depiction of any kind. Even if you knew these thiings, God does not approve of any statues or images. The reason is simple, that these material things become the objects of worship.

Christians have in their homes pictures of a man they say is Jesus Christ but that is the image of a crooked son of a pope from the 15th century. Many churches do the very same thing that God said to avoid.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 16:14
    @secondson said
    Any depiction, representation or characterization of Jesus Christ, by an alleged follower of Jesus Christ, that is not according to the truth of God's Word is blasphemous.
    It's funny to me when I hear US Christians rail against Islamic Fundamentalism, when so many of them are of equal fervor.

Back when I used to watch Christian Television, some of the commentators would speak wistfully of the punishments doled out for blasphemy by more hard-line nations, wishing they could do the same here. At least they were honest!
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 20:12
    @rajk999 said
    Nope. If other people practice blasphemy thats not for me to care about.
    That's a very responsible position.
    If only all religious folk could keep themselves to themselves.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 20:16
    @neilarini said
    Is the Lord communicating the message of a vegetarian diet in general or specially advocating my spiritual need for cheese?
    Blessed are the cheesemakers.

YouTube
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 21:12
    @wolfgang59 said
    Same for atheists.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 21:42
    @rajk999 said
    Same for atheists.
    I don't think atheists preach to other atheists and tell them their atheism isn't true atheism!
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 22:061 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    I don't think atheists preach to other atheists and tell them their atheism isn't true atheism!
    Heresy! Say 100 Charles Darwins outside, then drink a glass of scotch before the statue of Christopher Hitchens to atone for this sin.

Edit:
    "Hail Charles, full of grace; bless this accidental human race."
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 23:51
    @suzianne said
    Let me ask you something.

Is he EVERYone's Christ, or just yours?

Are you equally offended by depictions of Jesus as black?

There are Christians who are offended by the mainstream depictions of Jesus as white. Does that bother you?
    (1) Christ came for the salvation of everyone, yes.

However, blasphemous depictions of Christ are definitely not a part of that deal.

(2) I am not offended at all by non-Semitic portrayals of Christ as these can actually be purely artistic or honest interpretations of Christ, sometimes even honest ignorance about what his physical features would be, which carries with it a certain sweetness.

However, these can also go too far. But they would never be as bad as what the Church of Iceland did here.

(3)

There are Christians who are offended by the mainstream depictions of Jesus as white. Does that bother you?

I think they are wrong in their ideas about this because the case was that many people who saw Jews in Europe saw white people who looked a lot like themselves; thus some Dutch painter thinking "Christ is a Jew; the bulk of the Jews down in Amsterdam are white; I guess he was white" is understandable.

Likewise, you can see depictions of Christ overturning the table of the moneylenders -- the moneylenders who would be the villains! - and the moneylenders themselves as white...

They painted the arch-nemesis of Christians, Judas-Iscariot, as white:
    https://www.artbible.info/art/large/429.html

They painted the Shah of Persia as a light-skinned white:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Shah_Ismail_I.jpg

Persians painted him as a more typical Persian:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Shah_Ismail.JPG

I think it's an honest case of even well-to-do artists in Europe not having much of an idea of the appearance of Middle Eastern people, and not racial animus.

It's fine to be mistaken.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 23:53
    @bigdoggproblem said
    It's funny to me when I hear US Christians rail against Islamic Fundamentalism, when so many of them are of equal fervor.

Back when I used to watch Christian Television, some of the commentators would speak wistfully of the punishments doled out for blasphemy by more hard-line nations, wishing they could do the same here. At least they were honest!
    It is also funny to hear US Marxists rail against Korean Christians, when I also think that they are of equal fervor.

Of course, Marxists, Christians, and Muslims all believe in very different things, so their fervor has very different forms.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 23:54
    @wolfgang59 said
    The problem is that,

if you do not do politics, politics will be dune unto you.

We've learned the lessons of Russia.

And before Russia, people learned the lessons of even places here like Korea, where the King had Christians martyred, and where Buddhists were crushed and closely controlled by the King and the Confucian elites.

To keep quiet and passive because atheists are annoyed is not just illogical, but it is also cowardice.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Sep '20 23:56
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think the Bible says very little regarding the appearance of Jesus.

We can however extrapolate some things from the region he lived in.
    Another interesting idea you hear from some Orthodox is that there are traditions of iconography that really stretch back, and so we do have an idea of Christs' appearance based off of some of the oldest icons. The same is true for the appearance of the Theotokos and many early Saints.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Sep '20 00:29
    @wolfgang59 said
    Not yet, give it a 1000 yrs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree