Christians, Please Read

Christians, Please Read

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Could you use extracts quoted from the passage to back up your statements please?

D

lol ..... you didn't read the article, you lazy bast ..... *cough* ..... baston ....

..... otherwise you would know what I was referring to ......

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

lol ..... you didn't read the article, you lazy bast ..... *cough* ..... baston ....

..... otherwise you would know what I was referring to ......
I don't know what you're talking about. Well....I could assume, but it is not as clear as you might think. I don't care if you quote word for word, but a little expounding would be nice. How do you believe that atheism is scapegoating? In the sense of equating theology = inhumane acts perhaps?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
13 Mar 05
1 edit

Atheists sometimes also argue that theists should question their beliefs because of the very real harm they can cause -- not just to the believers, but to everyone else.

"What sort of harm?"

Religion represents a huge financial and work burden on mankind. It's not just a matter of religious believers wasting their money on church buildings; think of all the time and effort spent building churches, praying, and so on. Imagine how that effort could be better spent.

Many theists believe in miracle healing. There have been plenty of instances of ill people being "healed" by a priest, ceasing to take the medicines prescribed to them by doctors, and dying as a result. Some theists have died because they have refused blood transfusions on religious grounds.

It is arguable that the Catholic Church's opposition to birth control -- and condoms in particular -- is increasing the problem of overpopulation in many third-world countries and contributing to the spread of AIDS world-wide.

Religious believers have been known to murder their children rather than allow their children to become atheists or marry someone of a different religion. Religious leaders have been known to justify murder on the grounds of blasphemy.

There have been many religious wars. Even if we accept the argument that religion was not the true cause of those wars, it was still used as an effective justification for them.

"Those weren't real believers. They just claimed to be believers as some sort of excuse."

This is rather like the No True Scotsman fallacy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In particular I like these quotes:

"Religion represents a huge financial and work burden on mankind. It's not just a matter of religious believers wasting their money on church buildings; think of all the time and effort spent building churches, praying, and so on. Imagine how that effort could be better spent."

" Religious believers have been known to murder their children rather than allow their children to become atheists"

lol ..... if my parents and grandparents would have done this the majority of my family would have been murdered.

I place this kind of remarks in the category "Gypsies steal little children".

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Atheists sometimes also argue that theists should question their beliefs because of the very real harm they can cause -- not just to the believers, but to everyone else.

"What sort of harm?"

Religion represents a huge financial and work burden on mankind. It's not just a matter of religious believers wasting their money on church buildings; think ...[text shortened]... rdered.

I place this kind of remarks in the category "Gypsies steal little children".

I still don't understand how you believe this to be a scapegoat. What he has said has occurred. Prevalant? No. Neither are crusades nowadays. That doesn't dismiss the validity of it. Reasonability? Perhaps, if not probably. Regardless, I wouldn't read too much into it. If the post is 99% without bias from the author, you will have to excuse the 1% which is.

.......you think gypsies don't, or won't, steal children? We must know different gypsies. 😉

Best Regards,

Omnislash

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Yeah, but only because you made it huge.

Where is telerion when you need him? Hippo-krit.
Uhm . . . am I supposed to be the hypocrite here? What the hell do I have to do with anything?

Are you saying my posts are too long for your attention span?

The Apologist

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by telerion
Uhm . . . am I supposed to be the hypocrite here? What the hell do I have to do with anything?

Are you saying my posts are too long for your attention span?
I'm saying check out the recs your boy got for copying and pasting.

c
Islamofascists Suck!

Macon, Georgia, CSA

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Now please respond to every point made one by one.
Dude....was that you Master's Thesis?

The Apologist

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by chancremechanic
Dude....was that you Master's Thesis?
Check out the link at the bottom.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Mar 05

Originally posted by Omnislash
I think you have done a wonderful job AThousandYoung, and I wish to thank you for the insight. Quite frankly, I am in your debt for producing a wonderfully crafted explanation. While I myself may have already perceived much of what you stated here, it is good to see it all pulled together to create a bigger picture and subsequently better understanding and ...[text shortened]... pen mind to understand.

I tip my hat sir. 🙂

Best Regards,

Omnislash
Any time buddy! It does get fatiguing (sp?) pressing BOTH the Ctrl AND the C buttons...and THEN the Ctrl and V buttons...OVER and OVER and OVER...

I sacrificed my fingers for the sake of atheism.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Mar 05
1 edit

OMG! I am on page 1 of the "Recommended Posts"! I don't think I ever got more than 1 rec for one of my posts ever. No wonder dj likes to copy-paste so much.

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
13 Mar 05

OMG! I am on page 1 of the "Recommended Posts"! I don't think I ever got more than 1 rec for one of my posts ever. No wonder dj likes to copy-paste so much.
Well, post something of quality and that's what you'll get. Copy & paste or not, it was an interesting read well worth the time.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
13 Mar 05

You must do it more often I mean paste.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Mar 05

Wow. This was a joke and people are encouraging me to do it more often. LOL.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Mar 05
2 edits

Well, I did it again. Dj2becker inspired me.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=20970&page=9

h

e2

Moves
14 Mar 05

I'm a hundred percent with you on this one, AThousandYoung. I was just tonight at www.carm.org and I was really disappointed to a see a section entitled "Cut and Past Information."* It was material specifically intended to be pasted into chats and forums. I don't think this should be encouraged! Your case may be an exception for its motive, though I wonder whether your point has been taken in the places where it would be sharpest.

* http://www.carm.org/cut.htm
I'm going to email them and complain about this. They're spam-mongers!