1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:04
    @suzianne said
    As Jim Jefferies has said, the same people saying "F--- you, don't take my guns!" now were the same people saying "F--- you, don't take my slaves!" 160 years ago.
    As interesting as this juxtaposition is, the right to own a gun and the right to own a slave don't bear comparison. But, the juxtaposition captures a certain mentality for sure.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:171 edit
    @suzianne said
    As Jim Jefferies has said, the same people saying "F--- you, don't take my guns!" now were the same people saying "F--- you, don't take my slaves!" 160 years ago.
    The same people 160 years ago were saying that?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:211 edit
    @kellyjay said
    The same people 160 years ago were saying that?
    "The same people" refers to white supremacists, then and now, clearly. Don't fend off the point made by Suzianne's juxtaposition by quibbling a turn of phrase.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:31
    Slavery was still being condoned in the New Testament.

Hardly anyone disputes the fact that slavery is a moral atrocity now.

According to Christian thinking [different perspectives perhaps], in what year did slavery go from being condoned in Christian scripture to being seen as a moral atrocity by [presumably] most Christians.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:341 edit
    @fmf said
    "The same people" refers to white supremacists, then and now, clearly. Don't fend off the point Suzianne's juxtaposition by quibbling a turn of phrase.
    Yes, let us paint white people as something less than. As soon as we add to the word supremacist by applying color, we exclude all of those who are also supremacists of different colors; it is the same thing with the word extremist, white extremist, black extremist, rightwing extremist, leftwing extremist to add anything to the word extremist lets a lot of some of them off the hook while smearing a large group of people who may fit only half of that term.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:42
    @kellyjay said
    Yes, let us paint white people as something less than.
    Nobody is painting all white people as white supremacists.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:44
    @kellyjay said
    As soon as we add to the word supremacist by applying color, we exclude all of those who are also supremacists of different colors.
    If you think black supremacist ideas - for example - have Christian roots, call it out, expose it, condemn it, if you want.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 01:45
    @fmf said
    Nobody is painting all white people as white supremacists.
    ...except maybe Duchess64 back in the day!
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:28
    @kellyjay said
    Yes, let us paint white people as something less than.
    This is the problem. You are more concerned with how your race is portrayed than your religion. Which is the bigger problem: that white Christians are being portrayed is immoral or that the religion of Jesus Christ is?

The point of this or the previous is not about Caucasians, it's about how the Christian religion, which supposed to be about love, is so abhorrently racist, and has been responsible for countless evils.

The Christians here are missing the MUCH more important point: why don't Christians purge the evil from their own religion? Jesus flipped over the tables over the money changers, right? Then why don't white Christians revolt against the KKK and white supremacy? Why weren't white churches across America marching with Martin Luther King for equality and protesting Jim Crow laws?

That is the point here. If you all were serious about your religion, you would've been much more offended at the racists infecting the body of Christ than criticism than whites being criticized.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:33
    @fmf said
    If you think black supremacist ideas - for example - have Christian roots, call it out, expose it, condemn it, if you want.
    I'm not pointing to anyone's color and saying because of that; they did this or that.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:421 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I'm not pointing to anyone's color and saying because of that; they did this or that.
    Well, you either [1] acknowledge that white supremacist views were very common among whites who owned black slaves [and in the communities whose economies relied on slavery] and that they found what they felt was support for this in the Bible... or [2] you don't.

I don't get why you are trying to run pass interference on behalf of Bible-brandishing white slave owners in your country's past.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:43
    @divegeester said
    I’ve been a Christian for over 30 years and have never met one Christian who even remotely thinks that.
    Are you psychic? How do you feel about Ephemerol?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:46
    @vivify said
    This is the problem. You are more concerned with how your race is portrayed than your religion. Which is the bigger problem: that white Christians are being portrayed is immoral or that the religion of Jesus Christ is?

The point of this or the previous is not about Caucasians, it's about how the Christian religion, which supposed to be about love, is so abhorrently raci ...[text shortened]... re offended at the racists infecting the body of Christ than criticism than whites being criticized.
    I hate prejudice; I don't care where it is directed. I believe that we (all people) have a sinful nature, and we can use and abuse anything to promote the most despicable things we can. To select just one segment of us is overlooking all the others, so if I claim my race or gender is the righteous one, I'm am justifying the guilty and anyone else who does that is too no matter what color, nationality, or sex they are.

This is not to suggest crimes were not committed; they have been, they are being, and they will continue unless grace breaks the cycle and repentance our hearts. Otherwise, we can play the victim card, everyone can claim someone of whatever group did them wrong, but if we give grace, we give our victim cards away because we must forgive for us to be forgiven. We hang on to our victimhood; we will never leave that place; we will always be the victim.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:51
    @kellyjay said
    I hate prejudice; I don't care where it is directed.
    Do you support ongoing Republican Party efforts to ban teachers from teaching that slavery was bad?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:521 edit
    @fmf said
    Well, you either [1] acknowledge that white supremacist views were very common among whites who owned black slaves [and in the communities whose economies relied on slavery] and that they found what they felt was support for this in the Bible... or [2] you don't.

I don't get why you are trying to run pass interference on behalf of Bible-brandishing white slave owners in your country's past.
    I think those who harmed others will pay for their sins in full or Christ will, there is no excusing many of the things done by a man I don't care what color you want to look at; crimes are crimes, sins are sins, and the guilty have, but one thing to look forward to judgment is coming.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree