Challenging debate topic

Challenging debate topic

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
04 Jul 12

OK so there's this little bit over on the Obama mocking Bible thread, about the possibility of a challenging debate topic. No new challenging debate topic is mentioned there (so far).

There are of course, golden oldies -- evolution, evil, science, the evils of science, the evils of religion, the evils of evil, theological differences between JWs and non-JW theists, and others.

I suggest a look at:

http://idebate.org/debatabase/themes/moral-%2526-religious

...to see if there are any new topics or to see if the points made trigger any new thoughts on old ideas.

It is a link from:

http://idebate.org/

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jul 12

Originally posted by JS357
OK so there's this little bit over on the Obama mocking Bible thread, about the possibility of a challenging debate topic. No new challenging debate topic is mentioned there (so far).

There are of course, golden oldies -- evolution, evil, science, the evils of science, the evils of religion, the evils of evil, theological differences between JWs and non-JW ...[text shortened]... points made trigger any new thoughts on old ideas.

It is a link from:

http://idebate.org/
No. Nothing new there. It's the same debate as from the beginning, only the players have changed.

Moves
05 Jul 12

Originally posted by josephw
No. Nothing new there. It's the same debate as from the beginning, only the players have changed.
To you of all people I need not say:

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New International Version)

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jul 12

To you of all people I need not say:

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New International Version)

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Since nothing is new, then the debate is moot.

We choose of our own free will what path we walk down.

F

Moves
05 Jul 12

JS357, I'd say you've struck out with josephw.

Moves
05 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
OK by me. Its just Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
Everyone's a hit with me John.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
Why? It looks to me like they agree.

Moves
07 Jul 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
Why? It looks to me like they agree.
Shhh... nobody is supposed to notice when that happens. 😉

F

Moves
07 Jul 12

Shhh... nobody is supposed to notice when that happens. 😉
OK, looks like I got the wrong end of the stick. I interpreted JS357's recent comments [here and elsewhere] as a wish for challenging debate topics, and I interpreted josephw's comment to mean more or less 'what's the point?'

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
07 Jul 12

Challenging debate topic : "Spirit: what it means if anything , etc..."

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
08 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
OK, looks like I got the wrong end of the stick. I interpreted JS357's recent comments [here and elsewhere] as a wish for challenging debate topics, and I interpreted josephw's comment to mean more or less 'what's the point?'
That's cool. I assumed as much anyway. You have a very acute way of thinking. I admire that, but, in my opinion, you're just slightly off the mark. 😉

Moves
08 Jul 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Challenging debate topic : "Spirit: what it means if anything , etc..."
That could be challenging but it's hard to tell if no interest is triggered. Maybe it's TOO challenging?

Moves
08 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
I suppose I've expressed that wish in part by submitting OPs that raise subjects other than the big 5 or big 10 or whatever number there are that dominate this forum. This is also for me a way to test the waters for the existence of any lurkers (a common non-judgmental way to describe non-participatory forum readers) who might just be waiting for a thread to come along that they care to respond to. But I am coming to think that josephw's "what's the point?" is quite apt.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Jul 12
1 edit

That could be challenging but it's hard to tell if no interest is triggered. Maybe it's TOO challenging?
I've never heard of a good discussion on that one here.
I have heard some stuff about the "holy spirit", but that's different.