Can anyone

Can anyone

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
02 May 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
Have you studied any science? Can you predict whether it will rain in 2 weeks from now? Is the rain and other weather effect immune from scientific study?
I think you are quite confused about what science actually is. It doesn't necessarily come up with an exact formula for an exact answer to everything. In some cases, such as quantum mechanics, it is be ...[text shortened]... your affirmation, the correct stance is...?

The correct stance is to study it with science.[/b]
Can you predict whether it will rain in 2 weeks from now?
you can predict if it will rain tomorrow though. and we are getting better at it.
there is a difference though. the weather is a very complex system but consists solely of physical elements completely predictable. if we could gather all the variables, there is no reason why we shouldn't accurately compute the weather 2 weeks from now.

we do not know if someone actions could be predicted by mapping his neural connections. some of us believe in free will.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
you can predict if it will rain tomorrow though. and we are getting better at it. there is a difference though. the weather is a very complex system but consists solely of physical elements completely predictable. if we could gather all the variables, there is no reason why we shouldn't accurately compute the weather 2 weeks from now.

Science can too predict the future.

I predict that in exactly two weeks at 3:00 pm in the afternoon in Northern Virginia, we will have weather.

Cape Town

Moves
02 May 14

you can predict if it will rain tomorrow though. and we are getting better at it.
But weather is so complex that we will never, ever be able to predict it up to 2 weeks ahead with complete accuracy.

there is a difference though. the weather is a very complex system but consists solely of physical elements completely predictable.
Only in theory, not in practice. Possibly not even in theory. I am not sure how much an effect quantum phenomena has on weather 2 weeks from now, but it could be significant.

we do not know if someone actions could be predicted by mapping his neural connections. some of us believe in free will.
But I bet you don't actually know what you mean by the phrase 'free will'.
In reality, someones actions are just as predictable as the weather, if not more predictable.

Cape Town

Moves
02 May 14

Originally posted by sonship
Science can too predict the future.
Ahh, the king of strawmen. Nobody said science can't predict the future.

Z

Moves
02 May 14

But weather is so complex that we will never, ever be able to predict it up to 2 weeks ahead with complete accuracy.

[b]there is a difference though. the weather is a very complex system but consists solely of physical elements completely predictable.

Only in theory, not in practice. Possibly not even in theory. I am not sure how much an effect qu ...[text shortened]... .
In reality, someones actions are just as predictable as the weather, if not more predictable.[/b]
it is one thing for a system to have a ton of variables that would make it impractical to predict, and another thing to have a system that has random variables in it.

you claim it is more likely to predict what someone is thinking than to predict the weather?

"In reality, someones actions are just as predictable as the weather, if not more predictable"
that's your opinion. i claim free will is not an illusion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 May 14
2 edits

Ahh, the king of strawmen. Nobody said science can't predict the future.
Ah, the king of non-commital fog who tells us all the things he didn't say.

Time for a musical interlude from Africa, chill and enjoy -

Amazing Grace
A Soweto Choir.

(no it has little to do with this silly argument here)

Cape Town

Moves
03 May 14
1 edit

it is one thing for a system to have a ton of variables that would make it impractical to predict, and another thing to have a system that has random variables in it.
I agree. But if the brain is affected by the randomness of quantum mechanics, then it is more than likely the weather is too.

you claim it is more likely to predict what someone is thinking than to predict the weather?
Yes.

that's your opinion. i claim free will is not an illusion.
So for you, 'free will' is a claim that some of your thoughts are random? What do you believe is the source of this randomness? Quantum mechanics?

I must also point out that quantum mechanics can be studied through science, and so could random thoughts.

Cape Town

Moves
03 May 14

Originally posted by sonship
Ah, the king of non-commital fog who tells us all the things he didn't say.
How many times will you make that false accusation then admit latter that you were wrong?
To what have I not committed?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
03 May 14

the weather is a very complex system but consists solely of physical elements completely predictable. if we could gather all the variables, there is no reason why we shouldn't accurately compute the weather 2 weeks from now.

Weather is NOT completely predictable as was discovered in the sixties.(?)

I recommend you read "Chaos: Making A New Science" by James Gleick

or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 May 14

bumpety bump bump

some unanswered questions on this thread!