Can a healthy tree not bear bad fruit?

Can a healthy tree not bear bad fruit?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
14 Nov 22
1 edit

there are many Christian ideas that make pretty good sense as part of one's code for living. But others, not so much.

"A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit" or "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit".

Isn't this just nonsense?

And how does it sit alongside KellyJay's axiom which is that everyone, without exception, is "evil"?

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
14 Nov 22

@FMF

What are apples like from a badly diseased apple tree ?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Nov 22

@fmf said
there are many Christian ideas that make pretty good sense as part of one's code for living. But others, not so much.

"A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit" or "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit".

Isn't this just nonsense?

And how does it sit alongside KellyJay's axiom which is that everyone, without exception, is "evil"?
I would just like to know how you can claim to have been a Christian for 28 years and believed the Bible, yet you seem to have difficulty with a simple passage of scripture.

Perhaps you're a bad tree. 😏

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
15 Nov 22

@josephw said
I would just like to know how you can claim to have been a Christian for 28 years and believed the Bible, yet you seem to have difficulty with a simple passage of scripture.

Perhaps you're a bad tree. 😏
I'm sorely tempted to add a few choice comments regarding FMF's intellect, however, let us not judge him too harshly. 😏

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Nov 22

Absolutism is a plague of American Christianity.

With this mindset, you get no credit for the good you have done, once you do something bad. All trees are 100% good, or 100% bad - no in between. One bad fruit proves you are a bad person.

Never mind the fact that this bears little resemblance to reality, or that some bad deeds are worse than others, or that other parts of the Bible preach forgiveness, instead of this sort of categorical labeling based on one bad deed.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Nov 22

@bigdogg said

With this mindset, you get no credit for the good you have done, once you do something bad. All trees are 100% good, or 100% bad - no in between. One bad fruit proves you are a bad person.

Never mind the fact that this bears little resemblance to reality, or that some bad deeds are worse than others, or that other ...[text shortened]... of the Bible preach forgiveness, instead of this sort of categorical labeling based on one bad deed.
Read the passage, Matthew 7:17-20.

Jesus was, and is an absolutist. And I'm glad at least He was. Jesus was the only man that ever "brought forth good fruit" 100% of the time.

Can't say the same about the rest of us.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Nov 22

@mchill said
I'm sorely tempted to add a few choice comments regarding FMF's intellect, however, let us not judge him too harshly. 😏
👍🏽

F

Moves
15 Nov 22

@medullah said
@FMF

What are apples like from a badly diseased apple tree ?
You can get good apples from a diseased tree. You can get bad apples from a healthy tree.

F

Moves
15 Nov 22

@mchill said
My intellect?

Thanks for the exquisite banter.

F

Moves
15 Nov 22

@josephw said
This is nothing other than a dodge. If you don't have an answer, it's OK.

F

Moves
15 Nov 22

@fmf said
Can good people do bad things? Can bad people do good things?

F

Moves
15 Nov 22

@bigdogg said

Never mind the fact that this bears little resemblance to reality, or that some bad deeds are worse than others, or that other ...[text shortened]... of the Bible preach forgiveness, instead of this sort of categorical labeling based on one bad deed.
I agree.

This is what this thread is about.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Nov 22

@fmf said
Can good people do bad things? Can bad people do good things?
Of course. Obviously.

But that doesn't lower the standard. That's where you missed the point.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Nov 22

@fmf said
I agree.

This is what this thread is about.
But you missed the point, so this thread is really about your misunderstanding of the Bible.

F

Moves
15 Nov 22

@josephw said
That's where you missed the point.
Explain. Stop dodging.