Calling out God...

Calling out God...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 May 07

Originally posted by Crita
Yes, it is. Your belief about X is that is not true or non-existant or incorrect or whatever, but it's still a belief.
This argument really depends on the definition of "belief". By this definition your argument is wrong:

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual is convinced of the truth of a proposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief

If I am not convinced that an apple you handed me in the dark is red, does that mean I believe it's not red? No. I am convinced of the truth of neither claim unless I am allowed to look at the apple in the light.

What definition of "belief" are you using? It has many definitions.

C

Moves
29 May 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
This argument really depends on the definition of "belief". By this definition your argument is wrong:

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual is convinced of the truth of a proposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief

If I am not convinced that an apple you handed me in the dark is red, does that mean I believe ...[text shortened]... apple in the light.

What definition of "belief" are you using? It has many definitions.
I see your point, but you said 'Not believing X is not the same as having a belief'.

And I said not believing X is having a belief of X not being true. Nothing about not being 'convinced'.

I agree with you that you can (and it appears that this applies to you in regard to the origin of the universe) be unsure (not convinced) of something and therefore not have formed a belief about it.

Agree?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 May 07
1 edit

I see your point, but you said 'Not believing X is not the same as having a belief'.

And I said not believing X is having a belief of X not being true. Nothing about not being 'convinced'.

I agree with you that you can (and it appears that this applies to you in regard to the origin of the universe) be unsure (not convinced) of something and therefore not have formed a belief about it.

Agree?

Agree?

I agree. The rest is just us arguing about what words mean which is pointless.

C

Moves
29 May 07

[b]I agree with you that you can (and it appears that this applies to you in regard to the origin of the universe) be unsure (not convinced) of something and therefore not have formed a belief about it.

Agree?

I agree. The rest is just us arguing about what words mean which is pointless.[/b]
Exactly! I get so frustrated reading these threads where people end up arguing over different things without ever stopping to realise that they are in essence saying the exact same thing as the other person but they just never listen!

I'm glad we didn't do that. 🙂

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 May 07

Exactly! I get so frustrated reading these threads where people end up arguing over different things without ever stopping to realise that they are in essence saying the exact same thing as the other person but they just never listen!

I'm glad we didn't do that. 🙂
Well, we did do that, but then you cut it short by being sensible.

Don't you know that's against the TOS? You're gonna get banned...

C

Moves
29 May 07

Well, we did do that, but then you cut it short by being sensible.

Don't you know that's against the TOS? You're gonna get banned...
ha ha ha. I'm gonna get banned for section 3(s) soon!

*Section 3(s) - The Chess At Work administration team have concluded that a person has unreasonably used common sense and maturity to be sensible and get along with another member of this site.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
30 May 07

Originally posted by shavixmir
Hey! You! Schmuck!
Come on then! You omnipotent waste of ink. Show yourself!

We’ve got churches, synagogues and mosques full of people willing to kill and die on your behalf; millions of them; billions of them… all praying to you, worshipping you, living their pathetic little lives for you…. SHOW YOURSELF!!!
Come on down from your holy little perch a ...[text shortened]... distorted anus of the truth!

GET DOWN HERE! RIGHT NOW!
It’s time to have your arse whipped!
Holey Moley!
I mean Dear God!
No, Jesus Christ! Guppster, you have truely out done yourself with your vile, and much appreciated and discusting ( loved it) vicious calling out of this effin God dude. Your acumen, syntax and just good old plain hatred for everything Holy is truly a work of art much like the greatest philosophers and wise asses who have ever lived. May all who believe in any such a being drop dead and leave the rest of us alone. This planet would be much better off. Stop the Hatred Poo. It only makes you more depressed. We stand behind you.

j

Moves
02 Jun 07
7 edits

Calling on God and calling on the name of Jesus is an effective way to meet God. The Psalmist said "I love the Lord because He has heard my voice". It is good to call out to Jesus audibly because if we call from a pure heart He certainly hears our voice.

"I love Jehovah, because He hears my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear unto me. Therefore will I call ipon Him as long as I live" (Psalm 116:1,2)

This passage shows that the Psalmist loved God because he discovered that God listened and heard the sound of his voice calling out to God. Since his calling was so profitable to fellowship and commune with God, he made the decision to call on God as long as he lives.

Calling on God began with the fourth generation of human beings. Genesis 4:25,26 - "And Adam knew his wife again; and she boare a son, and called his name Seth: For said sh, God has appointed me another seed instead of Abel; for Cain slew him.

And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enosh. Then began men to call upon the name of Jehovah"

The names people in Genesis are often meaningful. The name Enosh means something life "frail". After the fall of Adam it became apparent that man was mortal and frail. He was now subject to death, desease, and corruption. So Seth called his son frail mortal man, in essence. Man departing from God caused man to become a dying and frail mortal man, Murders and corruption spoiled the life of the early generations.

"Then began men to call upon the name of Jehovah." (Gen.4:26)

As men realized that they were drifting farther and farther away from the presence of God men began to call on the name of Jehovah God. They began to call out to God for His salvation.

This calling on the name of Jehovah God was something like prayer. The people seeking God were not calling to insult God. They were calling out to God in recognition that they were mortal and in need of a higher divine life and Person. They called from a pure heart as the aposlte Paul exhorts the Christians millinnia latter:

" ... and follow after righteousness, faith, love, peace, with them who call on the Lord out of a pure heart" ( 2 Tim. 2:22)

The effective calling on the name of the Lord is the calling for the purpose of following after righteousness, faith, love, and peace. This is calling on God from a"pure heart."

Going back to the 116th Psalm, the writer tells us that his calling on God was like drinking a cup of liquid salvation:

"What shall I render unto Jehovah for all His benefits toward me?

I will take the cup of salvation and call upon the name of Jehovah" (Psalm 116:12,13)

To call "O Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus" is like taking the cup of salvation and drinking the Holy Spirit. But one must call with a pure heart for the purpose to follow after righteousness, faith, love, and peace.

Calling out Jesus audibly is effective if one is honest. One can pour out one's heart to God calling like this:

"Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus. I want to know you but I don't. Lord Jesus come into my heart. I don't want religion but I do want God. O Lord Jesus I open my life to you. Come into me Lord Jesus."

This kind of honest opening of one's heart while calling out to Jesus is very effective. One must call with a willingness to be forgiven of all of his offenses and cleansed from all of his sins. One must call with a willingness to have their lives changed by contacting God.

Any calling out to God with a basic stubburn unwillingness to be transformed by God, is not effective. Your words will be recorded and played back to you some day. But you may not meet God for such blasphemous lifting up of the name of God in vain.

But calling on the name of Jesus "with a pure lip" and "from a pure heart" is very effective to coming into the enjoyment of God.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
19 Jun 07

Has he come yet?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by smw6869
Holey Moley!
I mean Dear God!
No, Jesus Christ! Guppster, you have truely out done yourself with your vile, and much appreciated and discusting ( loved it) vicious calling out of this effin God dude. Your acumen, syntax and just good old plain hatred for everything Holy is truly a work of art much like the greatest philosophers and wise asses who have ev ...[text shortened]... be much better off. Stop the Hatred Poo. It only makes you more depressed. We stand behind you.
Why does an omnipotent God make schmucks who believe, and smart guys who don't/??

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Why does an omnipotent God make schmucks who believe, and smart guys who don't/??
Obviously he's not omnipotent.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by smw6869
Obviously he's not omnipotent.
Has God ever had sex? Mhmmm?
Maybe he's just impotent.

Sigh. I know...it was crap.

t

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by sonhouse
Well see, he made up the frigging rules and rule one says you can't go faster than the speed of light. Now what that proves minimum is this god is at least a couple of light weeks away and therefore its assuredly masterly response is going to be delayed by an indeterminate amount of time.
No. God has no excuse for lateness. He is omnipresent, in all places and times. I really can't think of an excuse for his lateness that I would accept.

Other than the excuse that he doesn't exist of course. I would accept that.

JJ

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by shavixmir
Hey! You! Schmuck!
Come on then! You omnipotent waste of ink. Show yourself!

We’ve got churches, synagogues and mosques full of people willing to kill and die on your behalf; millions of them; billions of them… all praying to you, worshipping you, living their pathetic little lives for you…. SHOW YOURSELF!!!
Come on down from your holy little perch a ...[text shortened]... distorted anus of the truth!

GET DOWN HERE! RIGHT NOW!
It’s time to have your arse whipped!
With that attitude you will never see him.....you will be best friends with Satan though !!!!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
So maybe there actually IS this omnipotent god out there, but it just doesn't give a shyte about humanity or any of its plights. That would give even the most fundy fundy pause for thought, I would think. It could be like a 6 year old accidently trampling on an ant hill, totally destroying it, causing the poor ants to totally rebuild and the kid just runs on his way to the ball game. For those of you who are symbolically disadvantaged, the 6 yo is god and the anthill is the earth and mankind......