born again christian

born again christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
18 Jul 12
1 edit

my sister was a born again christian - she wouldn't let my niece watch harry potter( if your a born again you cant watch harry )but one day my sister was away for the day in melbourne we are from mildura 600km away so what did i do that's right i let her watch it my niece! anyway my sister found out and boy did i get an ear full - I explained why i think her new religion was a bunch of bull she is now back to catholic or christian IDK but i love my sis and i'm so glad she listened to me her little brother timmy!

so why are you born again?

j

Moves
18 Jul 12

Originally posted by tim88
my sister was a born again christian - she wouldn't let my niece watch harry potter( if your a born again you cant watch harry )but one day my sister was away for the day in melbourne we are from mildura 600km away so what did i do that's right i let her watch it my niece! anyway my sister found out and boy did i get an ear full - I explained why i think her ...[text shortened]... is and i'm so glad she listened to me her little brother timmy!

I am born again because I received Christ into my human spirit. And He brought the divine life into me.

Why are you born ?

Why were you not completely mature as an adult the same day you were born ?

t

Moves
18 Jul 12

Originally posted by jaywill

I am born again because I received Christ into my human spirit. And He brought the divine life into me.

Why are you born ?

Why were you not completely mature as an adult the same day you were born ?
i understand all that but why change the rulers why couldn't my niece see harry potter the movie? if you were catholic or christian this would be fine

t

Moves
18 Jul 12

IDK maybe it was just that church that did that the one my sis was in - the harry thing

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
18 Jul 12

i understand all that but why change the rulers why couldn't my niece see harry potter the movie? if you were catholic or christian this would be fine
Some religions change or add new rules because they are unable to do what Christ commanded. Its a substitute for doing what is important.

t

Moves
18 Jul 12

Originally posted by Rajk999
Some religions change or add new rules because they are unable to do what Christ commanded. Its a substitute for doing what is important.
do you believe in god?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
18 Jul 12

do you believe in god?
Do you read my posts?

t

Moves
18 Jul 12

IDK maybe why?

j

Moves
18 Jul 12
7 edits

I do not completely understand your circumstances. I want to use both my own experience as a kid, as a parent of Christian kids, and as a Bible reader.

When we are born again our appetite for true spiritual wisdom is awakened. The Apostle Peter says the "new born" babes (spiritual babes) should long for the pure spiritual milk of the word of God -

"As newborn babes, long for the guiless milk of the word in order that you may grow thereby. If you have tasted that the Lord is good." ( 1 Peter 2:2)

Things which damage, dampen that appetite for the word of God, the Christian should be on guard against. What encreases his or her taste for the nourishment of thier new spiritual life, is good. What things tend to put a damper on that longing, to distract from it, or to water it down, the Christian should be wary of.

The popularity of Harry Potter books goes along with the rise the interest in the occult, the practice of magic, the practice of casting spells. On the surface these things seem to involve the spiritual realm. But underneath both "white magic" and "black magic" and spell casting is man's ancient temptation to contact demons and Satanic forces. The temptation is to channel Satan's energy for the deep occult to secure usually foolish and selfish ends.

Now this is a very big subject. You must not expect one or even a few forum posts to cover all that should be said. One difficulty is that the occult has infiltrated into Catholicism to begin with. And much of the Christian teaching has been corrupted, mixed, and polluted with the occult in Roman Catholicism itself. So it is rather hypocritical for a Catholic clergy to criticize Harry Potter and not realize that their own Maryolotry, praying to saints, belief in transubstantiation (thinking the wafer turns into the actual physical body of Jesus), plus the occultic appearances of the Virgin Mother, or bleeding statues, weeping statues, etc. etc. are also heavily involved with the deception of demons and unclean evil spirits of Satan.

The occult generally dampens a man's appetite for the Spirit of Christ, for the truth of the Bible, and for the proper abiding in God. It is a temptation to utilize some "Force" rather than have a loving relationship with the Person of Jesus Christ.

Now this is a post and not a book. And I said the subject is big. If I was taking care of a younger Christian, I would encourage them along the lines of Peter's word about the "guileless milk of the word" and tasting the Lord within.

Even in the Old Testament these passages warned God's people to stear clear from various kinds of magic and occult practice which could get them deceived and involved with demonic spirits ( "familar spirits" ) .

"When you enter the land which Jehovah your God is giving you, you shall not learn to do things according to the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or daughter pass through fire; anyone who performs DIVINATION, practices SOOTHSAYING, or interprets OMENS, or anyone who employs SORCERY or CASTS SPELLS; or anyone who consults a spirit of the dead or a familar spirit or inquires of the dead;

For everyone who does these things is an abomination to Jehovah; and on account of these abominations Jehovah your God is dispossessing them from before you. You shall be blameless towards Jehovah your God. For these nations whom you are dispossessing listen to those who practice soothsaying and to those who perform divination, but Jehovah your God has not allowed you to do so." (Deuteronomy 18:9-14 my emphasis)

There are a number of similar passages both in the Old and New Testament. The occult, for the Christian, is to be steered wide clear of. This will bring the practicer into contact with demons and the deep Satanic powers. And the entertainment of fiction and movies about indulgence into the occult might be a gateway to spur the curiosity of the unwary. In fact I am sure Harry Potter fiction has done just that.

Having said that, the Christian cannot live solely in a world of "Don't touch! Don't see! Don't do that! Don't do this other! Stay away from this and that!"
This can be too legal and too negative and too void of the positive of enjoying God Who is much much better.

Peter said to long for the pure milk of the word of God. The Christian should learn to stay away from sin and the occult by enjoying God. The Christian is saved from various sins not by gritting teeth and abstaining but by turning to Christ within and enjoying Christ.

At the same time occult involvement will definitely be used by the Devil to dry up a Christrian's taste for the Holy Spirit, the Holy truth, the pure and heavenly wisdom of God, and the light of the word of God.

That's enough for this post.

rc

Moves
18 Jul 12

my sister was a born again christian - she wouldn't let my niece watch harry potter( if your a born again you cant watch harry )but one day my sister was away for the day in melbourne we are from mildura 600km away so what did i do that's right i let her watch it my niece! anyway my sister found out and boy did i get an ear full - I explained why i think her ...[text shortened]... is and i'm so glad she listened to me her little brother timmy!

why was she reticent about letting the children watch harry potter, could it be that it
contains elements expressly condemned in the Bible?

t

Moves
18 Jul 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
why was she reticent about letting the children watch harry potter, could it be that it
contains elements expressly condemned in the Bible?
IDK? what is elements expressly condemned ? I will ask her tomorrow! she can even tell you herself on facebook or the phone doesn't matter to me

rc

Moves
18 Jul 12
2 edits

IDK? what is elements expressly condemned ? I will ask her tomorrow! she can even tell you herself on facebook or the phone doesn't matter to me
Dude i believe you, perhaps its spiritualistic, Bible does condemn that sort of thing,
as I have never seen the film myself, I cannot confirm or deny what it contains,
although, I did hear that in the U.S.A it was renamed the sorcerers stone or
something like that, the philosophers stone being too high brow for our American
cousins! or not Hollywood enough.

(Deuteronomy 18:10-13)  There should not be found in you anyone who makes
his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a
practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer,  or one who binds
others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional
foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead.  For everybody doing these
things is something detestable to Jehovah, and on account of these detestable things
Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you. You should prove yourself
faultless with Jehovah your God.

j

Moves
18 Jul 12

Dude i believe you, perhaps its spiritualistic, Bible does condemn that sort of thing,
as I have never seen the film myself, I cannot confirm or deny what it contains,
although, I did hear that in the U.S.A it was renamed the sorcerers stone or
something like that, the philosophers stone being too high brow for our American
cousins! or not Ho ...[text shortened]... driving them away from before you. You should prove yourself
Robbie, are you really from Pakistan ?

F

Moves
18 Jul 12

(Deuteronomy 18:10-13)  There should not be found in you anyone who makes
his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a
practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer,  or one who binds
others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional
foreteller of events or anyone ...[text shortened]... driving them away from before you. You should prove yourself
Some bits of Deuteronomy are still OK; some bits of Deuteronomy are not OK anymore? You just decide for yourself do you?

rc

Moves
18 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by jaywill
Robbie, are you really from Pakistan ?
No, my wife is, I just used to live there. I am Scottish from birth.