Belief about your worldview

Belief about your worldview

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
21 Dec 17
1 edit

Do you believe that intelligent educated people in their right mind should believe as you believe?

I believe that people need not agree with me. I do not expect anyone who disagrees with my beliefs can be convinced to agree with my worldview. I believe all worldviews are rooted in assumptions that are simply believed without direct knowledge.

If you do not accept my assumptions, I do not feel the need to change your mind.

I suppose a secondary question would be if you think your belief defines reality or does reality exist outside your belief?

F

Moves
21 Dec 17

Originally posted by @eladar
I believe that people need not agree with me. I do not expect anyone who disagrees with my beliefs can be convinced to agree with my worldview. I believe all worldviews are rooted in assumptions that are simply believed without direct knowledge.
Is this your stance as a Christian? If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?

F

Moves
21 Dec 17
1 edit

If you do not accept my assumptions, I do not feel the need to change your mind.
Is this attitude part of your god figure's scheme of "revelation" and "salvation" for human beings? Is Jesus "flowing out" of you ~ because you are a Christian ~ as sonship claims?

E

Moves
21 Dec 17

Originally posted by @fmf
Is this your stance as a Christian? If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?
So you believe you are above actually answering the question of the thread.

But hey I knew this about you already. I suppose you have to be you. Never give and always take.

F

Moves
21 Dec 17

So you believe you are above actually answering the question of the thread.
I am addressing one of the claims you made about yourself in your own OP. My question is absolutely on topic for this thread. If you don't want to answer it, that's OK.

F

Moves
21 Dec 17
2 edits

Do you believe that intelligent educated people in their right mind should believe as you believe?
The terms "intelligent" and "educated" and "right mind" refer to variables and "people" refers to a group with almost boundless diversity. So I think someone believing that intelligent educated people in their right mind should necessarily believe the same things as they believe is the realm of childlike thinking, fanaticism, or a risible dearth of experience.

E

Moves
21 Dec 17

The terms "intelligent" and "educated" and "right mind" refer to variables and "people" refers to a group with almost boundless diversity. So I think someone believing that intelligent educated people in their right mind should necessarily believe the same things as they believe is the realm of childlike thinking, fanaticism, or a risible dearth of experience.
So I take it that you expect people to disagree with you.

Thanks, you came very close to answering the question.

F

Moves
21 Dec 17

So I take it that you expect people to disagree with you.
Bears also poo in the woods, just so you know.

F

Moves
21 Dec 17

Thanks, you came very close to answering the question.
Does your OP reflect your worldview and obligations as a Christian?

If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
21 Dec 17

If you do ...[text shortened]... ion would be if you think your belief defines reality or does reality exist outside your belief?
Q1: It depends on the belief. It's important that people agree with me that rape is wrong. It's much less important that they share my belief that there aren't any gods.

Q2: Reality exists outside my beliefs. If I discover my beliefs don't match reality, my beliefs change.

E

Moves
21 Dec 17

Does your OP reflect your worldview and obligations as a Christian?

If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?
Romans 14

E

Moves
21 Dec 17

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
Q1: It depends on the belief. It's important that people agree with me that rape is wrong. It's much less important that they share my belief that there aren't any gods.

Q2: Reality exists outside my beliefs. If I discover my beliefs don't match reality, my beliefs change.
Q2

Do you believe you can ever know actual truth or just a hunch?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
21 Dec 17

Q2

Do you believe you can ever know actual truth or just a hunch?
I think it's sometimes possible to know the actual truth. The most obvious example is a mathematical proof of a theorem.

I don't think knowledge requires 100% certainty. I think a strong inductive belief can constitute "knowledge".

F

Moves
21 Dec 17

FMF: Does your OP reflect your worldview and obligations as a Christian? If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?

Romans 14
Romans 14 appears to appears to be about squabbles between Christians ~ about things like dietary rules. Was your OP only about such squabbles between Christians? It didn't read like that. Is there some other passage from the Bible you have that supports your OP?

E

Moves
21 Dec 17

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
I think it's sometimes possible to know the actual truth. The most obvious example is a mathematical proof of a theorem.

I don't think knowledge requires 100% certainty. I think a strong inductive belief can constitute "knowledge".
I mean know the truth about things like God and the afterlife.