Atheist vs Theist moral accountability

Atheist vs Theist moral accountability

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
06 Aug 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So "There is no God to whom I am ultimately accountable" is not an underlying assumption of atheism?
Indeed it is not. It may well be that some atheists have made this assumption, but many others, including myself, have not. As I'm sure I've told you a number of times already, I have no idea whether there is a god or not.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Yes. Genuine Christians ignore most commands when it suits them.
Gross generalization. It would be like me saying all atheists are more likely to break a moral law because they have no fear of God in them.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Aug 16
3 edits

Gross generalization as always. It would be like me saying all atheists are more likely to break a moral law because they have no fear of God in them.
I said nothing about 'more likely', nor did I compare anyone with anyone else.
I stated a fact. Every single Christian that has ever lived has broken at least one of the commandments. (you do so regularly, but then I have no idea whether or not you are a Genuine Christian™ )

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Aug 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Indeed it is not. It may well be that some atheists have made this assumption, but many others, including myself, have not. As I'm sure I've told you a number of times already, I have no idea whether there is a god or not.
So what's the difference between you and an agnostic?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Aug 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
I said nothing about 'more likely', nor did I compare anyone with anyone else.
I stated a fact. Every single Christian that has ever lived has broken at least one of the commandments. (you do so regularly, but then I have no idea whether or not you are a Genuine Christian™ )
So in your mind breaking a command at least once is the same as ignoring God's commands whenever it suits you?

Cape Town

Moves
07 Aug 16

So in your mind breaking a command at least once is the same as ignoring God's commands whenever it suits you?
No, in my mind that is not what I said at all.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Aug 16
1 edit

So what's the difference between you and an agnostic?
Agnosticism is defined as the belief that nothing is known or can be known about the existence or nature of god. This does not preclude belief or lack of belief in the existence thereof.

Atheism is defined as the lack of belief in the existence of a god or gods.

I am surprised you've not grasped these simple definitions yet, as you've been informed of them several times. Perhaps you might gain more from these threads if you were to actually read and consider what other people write, rather than simply attempt to demonstrate the superiority of your own position.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
08 Aug 16

Agnosticism is defined as the belief that nothing is known or can be known about the existence or nature of god. This does not preclude belief or lack of belief in the existence thereof.

Atheism is defined as the lack of belief in the existence of a god or gods.

I am surprised you've not grasped these simple definitions yet, as you've been inf ...[text shortened]... er people write, rather than simply attempt to demonstrate the superiority of your own position.
Agnostics also lack belief in God since they don't believe in God.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
08 Aug 16

Is that what you meant to type? If so, well done, i laughed.

Anyway, you still don't appear to have quite grasped what agnosticism entails. One can quite easily maintain a belief in the existence of a god while still believing that it is not possible to know that god exists. In fact, if one did know that god exists, no faith would be required to maintain one's belief in god, and if I recall correctly, the 'faith' aspect of your religion is fairly important...

Cape Town

Moves
08 Aug 16
1 edit

Suzzianne would probably pass as agnostic. She believes Gods existence cannot be proven.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
08 Aug 16

Is that what you meant to type? If so, well done, i laughed.

Anyway, you still don't appear to have quite grasped what agnosticism entails. One can quite easily maintain a belief in the existence of a god while still believing that it is not possible to know that ...[text shortened]... ef in god, and if I recall correctly, the 'faith' aspect of your religion is fairly important...
Bertrand Russell seems to disagree.

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~rmuhamma/Philosophy/RBwritings/agnostic.htm

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Aug 16

How many people on this Forum think poster Suzzianne is an agnostic ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Aug 16
4 edits

Atheism - If there is no God you can break whatever moral law you wish and get away with it as long as you are not caught.

Theism - If there is a God you will ultimately not get away with anything, as you are ultimately accountable to God for your actions.

Is that why atheism is so appealing?

Lately in the US we've had a hot election season. And there are these people called "Fact Checkers". So called Fact Checking organizations do their best to get behind politicians' statements with research to see how truthful they are or are not.

I've been thinking to myself "Poor, poor mankind. This fact checking in only what faulty man can do. Don't they realize that God is the ultimate and infallible Fact Checker ?"

Friends, we're all in for a rendevous with the ultimate fact checking session.
So we need forgiveness.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
08 Aug 16

Bertrand Russell seems to disagree.

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~rmuhamma/Philosophy/RBwritings/agnostic.htm
Well, yes and no, from my reading. He does take pains to point out that agnosticism and atheism are not one and the same - contrary to your suggestion - although his reading of agnosticism does seem to largely avoid the consideration of agnostic theism. Perhaps this reflects his own beliefs, since he is on record as considering himself both atheist and agnostic. As I recall, he did not generally like to use the term 'agnostic' to describe himself due to the popular misconception of this term to describe the indecisive, half-way position between theist and atheist. Russell's position notwithstanding, if you take some time to search you will find that agnostic theists do indeed exist.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
08 Aug 16

Well, yes and no, from my reading. He does take pains to point out that agnosticism and atheism are not one and the same - contrary to your suggestion - although his reading of agnosticism does seem to largely avoid the consideration of agnostic theism. Perhaps this reflects his own beliefs, since he is on record as considering himself both atheist a ...[text shortened]... thstanding, if you take some time to search you will find that agnostic theists do indeed exist.
According to B.R. your description of yourself is more fitting of an agnostic than an atheist.