Atheist vs Theist moral accountability

Atheist vs Theist moral accountability

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So why should we behave morally if we can benefit from it and ultimately get away with it?
Because some of us have empathy. What a selfish minded person you are.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

They have to confess it, repent and make restitution.
So not too hard really.

So if they have stolen something they need to return it.
Nonsense. You can't return something after you are dead.
Or are you falsely claiming that Christians who do not return everything they have stolen before they die will go to hell?
What about crimes that cannot be undone, such as murder?
You really don't know any more about Christianity than you do about atheism.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

So what is going to stop you from taking a million dollars if you know for sure that you can get away with it?
Depending on whose million dollars it was, I might actually take it if I was sure I wouldn't get caught. So would most Christians I know.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
The owner of the million dollars, obviously.
Have you ever seen God stop someone steeling a million dollars?
So if you had a means of getting it without the owner knowing or finding out, then nothing would stop you?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16
1 edit

Because some of us have empathy. What a selfish minded person you are.
Why is empathy a good thing? Because people decided it was? Why is being selfish wrong from an atheistic point of view?

Moves
04 Aug 16

So basically there is nothing intrinsically wrong with murder, rape, or torture, for example, but since rational self-interested persons like yourself do not want these things being done to themselves, they agree to extend the same courtesy to others? So you would not take the million dollars only because you don't want someone to take it from you? Or is it intrinsically wrong to steal?
I see you want simplicity. I don't want to live in a world where people rape, torture and murder, no matter who they are, including me. I am not a special case.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16

So not too hard really.

[b]So if they have stolen something they need to return it.

Nonsense. You can't return something after you are dead.
Or are you falsely claiming that Christians who do not return everything they have stolen before they die will go to hell?
What about crimes that cannot be undone, such as murder?
You really don't know any more about Christianity than you do about atheism.[/b]
When did I say you have to return something when you are dead?

Maybe you should read Matthew 5:25.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by JS357
I see you want simplicity. I don't want to live in a world where people rape, torture and murder, no matter who they are, including me. I am not a special case.
So those things are only wrong because we have decided that they are wrong? If that is the case what is wrong with a society of cannibals where they have decided otherwise about murder? Are they wrong? If so why?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16

Depending on whose million dollars it was, I might actually take it if I was sure I wouldn't get caught. So would most Christians I know.
You should get out more. Maybe you will meet some genuine Christians. 😛

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
04 Aug 16

So what is going to stop you from taking a million dollars if you know for sure that you can get away with it?

As an atheist, do you believe it is always wrong to steal or are there cases where it is acceptable?

I am not judging you I am trying to understand your beliefs.
I would not 'get away with it'. I would know that I had stolen the money, and that would disturb my peace.

I do not believe that it is always wrong to steal. I am also entirely unconcerned with the prospect of you 'judging' me. Furthermore it has become quite clear that your attempts to 'understand' any beliefs contrary to your own are predicated solely upon the desire to demonstrate the primacy of your own. Rather than allow you to sidetrack then, let us instead return to my original question; what is your purpose in presenting this childish argument (or question, if you prefer) which you are surely not so foolish as to actually believe?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
04 Aug 16

So no questions should be asked if you may put a belief system in a bad light?
Atheism is not a belief system.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

So if you had a means of getting it without the owner knowing or finding out, then nothing would stop you?
It depends on whose million dollars it was. Clearly only empathy or fear of risk would stop me.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

Why is empathy a good thing? Because people decided it was?
Yes.

Why is being selfish wrong from an atheistic point of view?
Because selfishness is bad for society.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

When did I say you have to return something when you are dead?
You didn't. But you did say you had to return something. My point is that many Christians believe they will have their sins forgiven after they die.

Maybe you should read Matthew 5:25.
Do your own reading. I won't do it for you.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

You should get out more. Maybe you will meet some genuine Christians. 😛
I do get out, and I do know plenty of genuine Christians. Many of them would happily take a million dollars from certain sources.

As for basic honestly, I have seen no evidence that Christians, genuine or otherwise, are generally more honest than atheists. Certainly on this forum, those claiming to be Christians put in a particularly poor showing.