Atheist vs. Agnostic

Atheist vs. Agnostic

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jun 07

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
lol. Sometimes change is difficult to accept. If it's limited to this, I guess there's no harm in it.
The point he wants us to accept isn't a small one.
Kelly

S

Moves
25 Jun 07

This 'stance' to which you refer is predicated on only allowing a black/white view of the situation. It reminds me of those who have a "either you're fer us or agin us" mentality. In reality, there will be those who choose not to take sides for whatever reason. You seemingly don't allow for that position.
If you don't take a side why would you change a stance you already hold?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jun 07

Originally posted by Bad wolf
I'm trying to explain why atheism doesn't neccasarily have to make a claim.
What is the claim of atheism?
Kelly

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
25 Jun 07

English is an evolving language which appears to have moved beyond its original meaning.
Yeah, everybody, let's all remember the original meaning of English. These days English has become so commercial that we sometimes forget to celebrate and remember it in its original meaning.

English isn't supposed to be about a fat guy in a red suit giving dictionaries to all the little girls and boys; it's about the Logos coming down and dwelling among us everyday in human form. Let's not become so jaded in our speech that we forget the miracle of the first Anglemas.

T

Moves
25 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
The point he wants us to accept isn't a small one.
Kelly
Yet the world seems to have moved on. One can also insist on sticking with the literal definition of 'joy stick'. Personally, I'd just as soon not dwell on it. I'd guess that most have no idea.

Moves
25 Jun 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
What is the claim of atheism?
Kelly
Um, as I just said, it doesn't necessarily have one, as in weak atheism, as in 'I don't believe in God'.
Strong atheism makes the claim that God doesn't exist, as in 'I believe God doesn't exist'.

T

Moves
25 Jun 07

Um, as I just said, it doesn't necessarily have one, as in weak atheism, as in 'I don't believe in God'.
Strong atheism makes the claim that God doesn't exist, as in 'I believe God doesn't exist'.
From what I can tell, you agree with my position. It seems you just substitute the term "weak atheist" for "agnostic".

Moves
25 Jun 07

From what I can tell, you agree with my position. It seems you just substitute the term "weak atheist" for "agnostic".
Being agnostic means that you think that you cannot know either way, a weak atheist on the other hand may think it is possible and is awaiting appropriate evidence.

T

Moves
25 Jun 07

Being agnostic means that you think that you cannot know either way, a weak atheist on the other hand may think it is possible and is awaiting appropriate evidence.
Here' the definition from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

agnostic [noun] someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.

This seems to be a little different from what you're saying.

Moves
25 Jun 07
2 edits

Here' the definition from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

agnostic [noun] someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.

This seems to be a little different from what you're saying.
😴
There are many dictionaries out there, mine doesn't mention not knowing (and I would assume still being possible), just that it impossible/unlikely to know (unknowable).
There is the distiction, a weak atheist thinks it is still possible.
Even if they do overlap, this extra bit in agnostism about it being impossible to know is important.

Anyway, discussing semantics is boring. 😴

T

Moves
25 Jun 07

😴
There are many dictionaries out there, mine doesn't mention not knowing, just that it impossible/unlikely to know.
There is the distiction, a weak atheist thinks it is still possible.
Even if they do overlap, this extra bit in agnostism about it being impossible to know is important.

Anyway, discussing semantics is boring. 😴
Then why'd you bring it up? 🙂

Moves
25 Jun 07
1 edit

Then why'd you bring it up? 🙂
Seemed important.

Anyway, now do you understand how you can be an atheist and still not be making a claim?

T

Moves
25 Jun 07

Seemed important.

Anyway, now do you understand how you can be atheist and still not be making a claim?
Well, I guess it's true if you choose to define it that way. However that's not the commonly accepted definition. Evidently this terminology is pretty new (90's) and not yet widely embraced according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_atheism

S

Moves
25 Jun 07

Well, I guess it's true if you choose to define it that way. However that's not the commonly accepted definition. Evidently this terminology is pretty new (90's) and not yet widely embraced according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_atheism
It doesn't matter how old it is, nor if it is commonly accepted, only that it is supported.

Now would you please answer my last question?

T

Moves
25 Jun 07

Originally posted by Starrman
It doesn't matter how old it is, nor if it is commonly accepted, only that it is supported.

Now would you please answer my last question?
Maybe I'm missing something, but what I'm trying to say is that the "stance" you've assigned to me using YOUR terminology, doesn't seem to adequatly describe my position.