1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 10:01
    @fmf said
    Speculation about supernatural things is all entirely subjective. Anyone can claim their god or gods are "the real ones". Literally anyone; literally any god or gods.

Even your threats of demented never ending divine retribution against those you think "the real one" is not the same as your "the real one" doesn't make your claims seem any more "true" or, indeed, anything other than subjective and speculative.
    Again reality and what we think are independent of one another.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 10:04
    @kellyjay said
    So you believe that what you think is independent from reality?
    That would imply that your thinking is not part of reality.
    That your thinking is not real.

Agreed?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 10:271 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Whatever your personal opinions are - about the "reality" of supernatural things - are merely conjecture and imaginings that do not affect the reality in which the people around you live.

I cannot create a reality in which you somehow live on after you die by simply believing it's true and insisting that my claim is "independent" of me or "objective".
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 10:36
    @suzianne said
    And... (wait for it)

What if they're all correct?

Wouldn't that show that God is more than what's between anyone's ears?
    I think it is more likely to indicate that human beings (wherever they are located in the world) have a characteristic tendency (due mostly to developed cognitive reasoning) to 'deify their thinking' in order to find answers and meaning to the world around them, which otherwise will remain unknowable. (As a result of our collective finite existence).
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 10:53
    @wolfgang59 said
    So you believe that what you think is independent from reality?
    That would imply that your thinking is not part of reality.
    That your thinking is not real.

Agreed?
    You spend to much time nasal gazing. I was under the impression you were a big fan of science. Science is all about us understanding reality, trying to understand reality so we can know the truth. Getting something wrong, then correcting it is what we do. This shows you we and reality can be disconnected or we would simply know and never have to adjust due to new information.

With respect to our thoughts they are simply part of who we are. We can be right or wrong about how we view things to the point we may even direct our actions based on incorrect assumptions, or correct ones.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 11:28
    @kellyjay said
    You spend to much time nasal gazing. I was under the impression you were a big fan of science. Science is all about us understanding reality, trying to understand reality so we can know the truth. Getting something wrong, then correcting it is what we do. This shows you we and reality can be disconnected or we would simply know and never have to adjust due to new information ...[text shortened]... things to the point we may even direct our actions based on incorrect assumptions, or correct ones.
    You just busted Google translate.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 12:16
    @wolfgang59 said
    You just busted Google translate.
    Our opinions may or may not be a reflection of reality. They are opinions, and the only time truth comes into play is when our opinions line up with reality.

If you are looking for truth as it makes you feel good or comfortable, you are not looking for truth, instead you want some idea or notion that is soothing to you, something you can call truth that you can be at ease with, something for your itching ears.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 18:55
    @whodey said
    the atheist must then explain why everything else exists.
    I don't see why. "I don't know" is a possible answer. It's better to be honest about what you don't know than fake it.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 19:24
    @kellyjay said
    Our opinions may or may not be a reflection of reality. They are opinions, and the only time truth comes into play is when our opinions line up with reality.
    You previously said
    ... reality and what we think are independent of one another.
    Your mumbo jumbo isn't even consistent.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 21:33
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I don't see why. "I don't know" is a possible answer. It's better to be honest about what you don't know than fake it.
    "None of us knows" is an even more accurate/honest answer.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Mar '19 23:571 edit
    @fmf said
    "Between the ears" would, nevertheless, be where the thoughts and beliefs and hopes about that multiform God would be.

"Between the ears" of Hindus would be where the Hindu Gods would be perceived. "Between the ears" of Christians would be where the Christian God would be perceived. And so on.

If one of the aims of each one of these competing religions is that its followe ...[text shortened]... at their God is "the real one", then I suppose, in a manner of speaking, yes, "they're all correct".
    Don't evade my answer-question.

What if they were all correct?

This presupposes that God is real.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 00:12
    @suzianne said
    Don't evade my answer-question.

What if they were all correct?

This presupposes that God is real.
    If they were "all correct", then the various manifestations of the god or gods would be perceived by the organs "between the ears" of the adherents of each tradition.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 01:37
    @divegeester said
    I don’t believe anyone would make such a statement, I suspect you have made it up yourself.
    @whodey.

Looks like I was correct then...?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 01:39
    @kellyjay said
    Not believing someone is in your home, is different than believing no one is in your home, how? In both cases the beliefs reveal the absence of someone being in the home, do they not?
    This statement by you makes no sense at all.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '19 01:41
    @sonhouse said
    what is 100% sure is no god comes down to fix our boo boo's. Your god is a hands off and it doesn't really give a hoot if humanity survives or not.

HUMANS are the ones figuring out what is good to eat, what is poison. Don't eat Pork. WOW, great advice. What about bad mushrooms? or other toxic plants? Or toxic frogs? I don't hear any advice about THAT in the bible.

HUMANS figured that bit out, no help coming from your hands off god.
    Why don’t you take this up with your “good friend” (the noticibly absent) SecondSon who misses your posting in this forum?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree