Are Atheists kidding themselves?

Are Atheists kidding themselves?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by dottewell
Chesterton's stand-up routine was legendary.
Until he got too fat to stand up.

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
It's a GK Chesterton joke. Indeed, if the concept "God" did not exist, the concept of a person who doesn't believe in God couldn't exist either. Ha ha ha ha ha!
Are you saying that an 'Atheist' is merely a cencept, or do they really exist?

Stange that you never get guys who form the anti-Santa club...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
Stange that you never get guys who form the anti-Santa club...
Oh really.

http://americanfuture.typepad.com/american_future/2004/12/the_antisanta_m.html

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Oh really.

http://americanfuture.typepad.com/american_future/2004/12/the_antisanta_m.html
Do these guys deny the existance of Santa or are they agnostic?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 06

What 'meaning' would your life have if there was life after death?
Currently, it would make absolutely no difference to my life one bit.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 06

We share different interpretations of reality. Thus you will not accept my proof.
If it has no mass-energy and doesn't exist in time-space, other than as a concept in peoples brains, then no, I will not accept it, because it doesn't exist.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Untill they start introducing "Intelligent present design" into the classroom

Moves
20 Mar 06

If it has no mass-energy and doesn't exist in time-space, other than as a concept in peoples brains, then no, I will not accept it, because it doesn't exist.
Would you care to prove that the 'Supernatural' does not exist?

S

Moves
20 Mar 06

'Super' - natural denotes the existence of something beyond the natural. As such there is no natural perception nor measurement which can ascertain its existence. As with god, until you can provide evidence for the existence of such an intangible concept there is no need to prove its non-existence.

Moves
20 Mar 06

Because you currently do not believe in an afterlife?

I cannot see how it would not change the meaning of your life, if you really believed it.

Moves
20 Mar 06

Originally posted by Starrman
'Super' - natural denotes the existence of something beyond the natural. As such there is no natural perception nor measurement which can ascertain its existence. As with god, until you can provide evidence for the existence of such an intangible concept there is no need to prove its non-existence.
Sure. But if you make the following statement, "If it has no mass-energy and doesn't exist in time-space, other than as a concept in peoples brains, then no, I will not accept it, because it doesn't exist." then the burden of proof is on you to prove that the Supernatural deos not exist.

S

Moves
20 Mar 06
1 edit

Sure. But if you make the following statement, "If it has no mass-energy and doesn't exist in time-space, other than as a concept in peoples brains, then no, I will not accept it, [b]because it doesn't exist." then the burden of proof is on you to prove that the Supernatural deos not exist.[/b]
Nonsense. If you honestly read it that way you have a serious comprehension problem.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 06

I don't need to. I have the more parsimonious argument. You want it to exist, and it requires belief in things that have no form or energy; therefor, the burden of proof it would seem is on you.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Mar 06

Sure. But if you make the following statement, "If it has no mass-energy and doesn't exist in time-space, other than as a concept in peoples brains, then no, I will not accept it, [b]because it doesn't exist." then the burden of proof is on you to prove that the Supernatural deos not exist.[/b]
for something to exist it must have either mass or energy or both and exist in time and space. I can list a whole universe of real things that fulfil those criteria. Can you list anything that doesn't have mass, energy or exist in time or space that you can get a physical measurement on or show me?

Didn't think so.

Moves
20 Mar 06

for something to exist it must have either mass or energy or both and exist in time and space. I can list a whole universe of real things that fulfil those criteria. Can you list anything that doesn't have mass, energy or exist in time or space that you can get a physical measurement on or show me?

Didn't think so.
You are assuming that you know everything there is to know.