All aboard the atheist bus ....

All aboard the atheist bus ....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
23 Oct 08

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm

F

Moves
23 Oct 08

Originally posted by orangutan
Thank god for atheists!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
23 Oct 08

It should be noted that the atheist bus says, "There's probably no God."

F

Moves
23 Oct 08

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
23 Oct 08

F

Moves
23 Oct 08

Cape Town

Moves
23 Oct 08

Whats interesting in the article is that some theists are totally against it and some are for it.

N

The sky

Moves
26 Oct 08

Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Tokyo, where they were blaring the "Good News" through huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
26 Oct 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Toky ...[text shortened]... gh huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.
Churches are allowed to advertise in England, are they not? Bus side advertising space would be one possible venue. If they pursued that, no one would think twice about it.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
26 Oct 08

I should try what those Mexican Christians do. Stand with a megaphone and shout on the street corner.

N

The sky

Moves
26 Oct 08

Originally posted by rwingett
Churches are allowed to advertise in England, are they not? Bus side advertising space would be one possible venue. If they pursued that, no one would think twice about it.
I don't know the English laws. But even if they are allowed to advertise in any way they like, does it really happen? And if it does, why would no one think twice about it? That sounds highly unlikely.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Oct 08

Pray for the success of atheism.

rc

Moves
26 Oct 08

[b]Dawkins quote from the article: "Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side." Are there really buses with religious slogans plastered across the side in the UK? I have never seen that. I don't know if it would even be allowed here.

The most intrusive Christian advertising I have seen/heard was in Toky ...[text shortened]... ugh huge speakers all over the place at Shibuya Station, making the place even more hellish.[/b
the only advertising i myself have ever seen, with regard to anything closely related was one advert for 'the alpha course', which i think is a kind of bible course, other than that i never seen anything, the UK is essentially a secular nation, with less than 1% percent of people attending churches. the worst 'religious advertising', i ever come across was in Pakistan, where the call to prayer (played over loudspeakers from the top of mosque minarets all over the country at the same time) would wake you up at a seriously early hour every morning, man i wanted to play 'play that funky music white boy', through those speakers! also, on a PIA (Pakistan international airways) internal flight, before the plane took off, on the back of every seat was a little tv screen, a cloud appeared with the name 'allah', arabic for god above it, the whole plane then proceeded to offer a prayer for the safety of the journey, not very reassuring i can tell ya!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
26 Oct 08

I don't know the English laws. But even if they are allowed to advertise in any way they like, does it really happen? And if it does, why would no one think twice about it? That sounds highly unlikely.
English religious advertising need not be ubiquitous for the point to remain valid. And the point is not relegated solely to England either. In the US (where religious advertising IS ubiquitous), no one thinks twice about it. Even an atheist like myself. But if someone like the FFRF puts up an "Imagine no religion" billboard, it raises plenty of eyebrows.

rc

Moves
26 Oct 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
Pray for the success of atheism.
ummm, actually what has 'atheism', achieved, if i may be so bold to ask?