Absolute Certainty

Absolute Certainty

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
05 Jun 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
No, twhitehead's question was perfectly reasonable, and not the same as asking if atheists 'really' don't believe in god/s.

One difference is that atheists lack a belief in gods is definitional.

If someone says that they are an atheist then they are saying that they lack a belief in gods, and if you
ask if they 'really lack a belief in gods' then ...[text shortened]... ING what someone else believes [particularly when what you assert contradicts what they say] is.
One difference is that atheists lack a belief in gods is definitional.
Can you quit with this tripe, once and for all?
According to your definiton, an atheist doesn't think and doesn't need to think.
Is that how you want to be known?
As one who neither thinks or needs to think in order to arrive at its state?

An atheist THINKS God does not exist.
In order for an atheist to THINK God does not exist, an atheist must first CONSIDER the concept of God.

You don't lack anything other than common sense, simpleton.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jun 15

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
You don't lack anything other than common sense, simpleton.
For someone who has been on this forum this long and still doesn't know that when he says 'atheist' he means 'lacks belief in God/gods', you are clearly the simpleton. Either that or dishonest, but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
05 Jun 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
For someone who has been on this forum this long and still doesn't know that when he says 'atheist' he means 'lacks belief in God/gods', you are clearly the simpleton. Either that or dishonest, but I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here.
Quit trying to redine what has already been defined--- from the ages.
Your stabs at sophistory only make you look all the more needy.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jun 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 7)
Originally posted by divegeester
"What comment are you looking for?"

A "comment" which contains nothing more or less than the factual statement which you yourself would expect from me or any other Atheist, Agnostic, Theist or Believer in the Person and Work of Jesus Christ who contributes to this online spirituality forum. Christ did th ...[text shortened]... do on our behalf to provide the grace gift of salvation and eternal life. Will you too be in heaven?
Reset for divegeester.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Reset for divegeester.
Missed it sorry.

Posted by Grampy Bobby to divegeester
A "comment" which contains nothing more or less than the factual statement which you yourself would expect from me or any other Atheist, Agnostic, Theist or Believer in the Person and Work of Jesus Christ who contributes to this online spirituality forum. Christ did the work we couldn't do on our behalf to provide the grace gift of salvation and eternal life. Will you too be in heaven?

I can honestly say I don't understand this convoluted question. Please can you rephrase it.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Jun 15

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Quit trying to redine what has already been defined--- from the ages.
Your stabs at sophistory only make you look all the more needy.
So, just plain dishonest.

It matters not what 'has already been defined --- from the ages'. The fact is that what googlefudge meant when he used the word, is not what you interpreted him as meaning - yet your response to me shows that you knew full well what he meant. You could have challenged his use of the word in a way you do not like, but you decided to go the dishonest route and pretend to misunderstand him and then call him a simpleton based on your intentional misunderstanding.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jun 15

Missed it sorry.

Posted by Grampy Bobby to divegeester
A "comment" which contains nothing more or less than the factual statement which you yourself would expect from me or any other Atheist, Agnostic, Theist or Believer in the Person and Work of Jesus Christ who contributes ...[text shortened]... ?

I can honestly say I don't understand this convoluted question. Please can you rephrase it.
"I can honestly say I don't understand this convoluted question. Please can you rephrase it."

"Will you too [divegeester] be in heaven?"

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"Will you too [divegeester] be in heaven?"
I can't think of any reason why not, can you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Jun 15

Originally posted by Dasa
I don't know what birth I had last time and actually it doesn't bother me at all not knowing.

I am in this 63 year old body and my life is coming to an end (thank goodness) and my desire is to be born in the family of Hare Krsna devotees who follow the Vedas, because it will give me an excellent opportunity to follow on where I have left off.

The ego that ...[text shortened]... odies.

Returning to the spiritual sky means I shall receive a perfect ageless spiritual body.
But what happens if you are born into Islam and Muhammad devotees?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Jun 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
But what happens if you are born into Islam and Muhammad devotees?
That just proves the man made nature of religions. A real god would NEVER set up a cruel system that results in the death's of millions based on a mandate by a deity.

Oh yeah, I know your response, you will pull the 'so now you know the mind of god' card.

It has been used up, not valid anymore, since humans can actually think through morality now, not mired in religion which has no real morality, only rules.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Jun 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
That just proves the man made nature of religions. A real god would NEVER set up a cruel system that results in the death's of millions based on a mandate by a deity.

Oh yeah, I know your response, you will pull the 'so now you know the mind of god' card.

It has been used up, not valid anymore, since humans can actually think through morality now, not mired in religion which has no real morality, only rules.
Maybe, if you had common sense.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jun 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
Maybe, if you had common sense.
So you love the idea of two or three major religions at war with each other causing millions of deaths over the centuries. Good to know that.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
07 Jun 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you love the idea of two or three major religions at war with each other causing millions of deaths over the centuries. Good to know that.
That's not a rational statement sonhouse. "Religions" aren't at war. People are!

Religion is just an excuse used by some to justify their hatred. Hatred, jealousy, envy, greed and bigotry are just a few of the reasons why some wage war. Some religions are by design intended to cause those negative virtues to be amplified in those who lack the courage to face their own evil hearts.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jun 15
2 edits

This morning I enjoyed this section of ministry on
the certainty of God as our portion. This was from The Life Study of Exodus by Witness Lee, Living Stream Ministry

http://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?n
[my bolding]

These ten blessings will lead us to the highest blessing of all—the enjoyment of God Himself as our portion. In 119:57 the psalmist declares, “Thou art my portion, O Jehovah” (Heb.). When we have God as our portion, we have not only light, life, water, and all the benefits these bring us, but we have the very God Himself. Some may think that the Old Testament saints did not enjoy God as their portion. But the writer of Psalm 119 says definitely that the Lord was his portion. Because the psalmist kept God’s word, God could be his portion. It is a very great matter to have God as our portion.

God can be our portion because He is real and not a superstition. If God had not been a reality to him, the psalmist could not have testified that the Lord was his portion. Everything superstitious is vain, unreal, and not at all substantial. How could something vain and unreal be our portion? It would be impossible. When the psalmist declared that God was his portion, he was enjoying and touching something very real.

In order for God to be our portion, He must also be very practical, present, enjoyable, and available. How could something become our portion if it were not near and available? And how could something be our portion if it were not enjoyable and practical? For many Jews, Moslems, and even Christians, God is far away. To them, God is not practical, present, enjoyable, and available. In their experience, they do not have Him as their portion.

I can testify from personal experience that my God truly has become my portion. I have never seen Him with my eyes or touched Him with my hands, but in my inner being I enjoy Him all day long. Some may claim that this is merely a psychological phenomenon. However, psychological phenomena usually do not last very long; yet the enjoyment of God as our portion is long-lasting. God is ever the same; He does not change. This One who is real, practical, present, enjoyable, and available is my portion. I am sure that you also have had some experience of God as your portion. Even though your experience may be limited, you cannot deny that to you God is real, practical, present, enjoyable, and available. He truly is our portion.

We all face problems in life. From years of experience I have found that there is just one antidote to our problems. This antidote is all-inclusive and very effective—it is God Himself. He alone is the answer to our problems and the cure for all our troubles. If we do not allow God to come into our situation, life will be nothing more than an empty dream. Without God, all our dreams first become problems, then troubles, and ultimately turn into death. But if we take the Lord and apply Him to our situation, things will be different. We shall be able to testify that our portion is not this matter or that thing. Our portion is not a good marriage, a high position, a large bank account, or a piece of real estate. Our portion is the Lord Himself. Because He is living, real, and practical, we can taste Him and enjoy Him.

We enjoy God as our portion through the Word and by the Spirit. We may compare the Word and the Spirit to an antenna and a ground wire which are the means for divine “electricity” to be conveyed to us. When we come to the Word with the Spirit, we receive God. Yes, we enjoy light, life, and watering. However, it is actually God Himself who is light, life, and living water to us in our experience. He is even our restoration, deliverance, strength, comfort, nourishment, upholding, and safeguard. By contacting the Word in a proper way, we receive the Lord Himself. We do not receive light, life, or water as things apart from Him. No, the light, life, and living water we enjoy are actually God Himself. God is also our salvation, food, drink, comfort, and protection. Every aspect of the first ten blessings we receive through the living Word is God Himself.

The declaration in Psalm 119 that the Lord is our portion is extremely crucial.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
So, just plain dishonest.

It matters not what 'has already been defined --- from the ages'. The fact is that what googlefudge meant when he used the word, is not what you interpreted him as meaning - yet your response to me shows that you knew full well what he meant. You could have challenged his use of the word in a way you do not like, but you decid ...[text shortened]... to misunderstand him and then call him a simpleton based on your intentional misunderstanding.
I couldn't give a rat's ass what he meant by the term.

We have all known exactly what the term 'atheist' means from well before it was hip to be one.
We don't need a grande-extra-hot-soy-extra-foam-split-shot-with-a-half-squirt-of-sugar-free-vanilla-and-a-half-squirt-of-sugar-free-cinnamon version of it: coffee is coffee.

We get that when it comes to the notion of God, he chooses to reject Him.

It's not that I don't like the way he uses the word; it's that he is purposely trying to reinvent the word into something more palatable for his conscience.
I, for one, will not let him.
I do not misunderstand him for a second.
He, along with others like him, is very sheer in his intentions... and I don't find it alluring in the least.