Absolute Certainty

Absolute Certainty

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
04 Jun 15

If God exists, he is probably an alien. let's hope he's not planning on eating us.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jun 15

Originally posted by divegeester
however, the chances of us meeting alien life is hugely small given the age and size of the universe and the distribution of habitable planets within it.
It is too soon to say that. We know very little about the frequency of abiogenesis, let alone the frequency of evolution into more complex life forms. Planets capable of supporting basic biological life are common - several per star system at least. The distances between stars does pose a challenge, but not an insurmountable one.

The vast distances involved would mean technology so advanced that we would probably not even recognise them as aliens. Perhaps if we encountered one we would sense its presence but not see it. Perhaps we would explain it as god
Although that may be possible, I think it far more likely that we would recognise them quite quickly. It is possible that they had miniaturized intelligence down so that their spaceships were mere centimetres across and we wouldn't spot them arriving etc, but if we looked at one directly I think we would fairly quickly realise that something was up.
I certainly don't think it is probable that they would attempt to hide their presence or behave in a godlike manner.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jun 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
If God exists, he is probably an alien. let's hope he's not planning on eating us.
Ask the Catholics, they like to eat his flesh and drink his blood.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jun 15

Ask the Catholics, they like to eat his flesh and drink his blood.
Do you genuinely believe that is what the Catholics believe or are you being hypocritical?

Moves
04 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Do you genuinely believe that is what the Catholics believe or are you being hypocritical?
Transubstantiation.

*Edit. - Was planning on elaborating, but was distracted by the doorbell. Would you believe it was a Jehovah Witness?!?

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jun 15

Transubstantiation.
I know about that, but how literal do they really mean it, and how many Catholics take it literally? If you took the wine and tested it for red blood cells, how many Catholics would be surprised if they didn't find any?

Moves
04 Jun 15

If i'd traveled 1000 parsecs on an empty stomach, yes of course.
LOL! Okay then. 😵

Moves
04 Jun 15
1 edit

I know about that, but how literal do they really mean it, and how many Catholics take it literally? If you took the wine and tested it for red blood cells, how many Catholics would be surprised if they didn't find any?
It is my understanding that Catholics take it pretty literally and that this is one of the main differences from Protestantism. (Many people have lost their lives for this belief).

From Wikipedia:

"Transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiatio, in Greek μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is the change whereby, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the bread and the wine used in the sacrament of the Eucharist become, not merely as by a sign or a figure, but also in actual reality the body and blood of Christ.[1][2] The Catholic Church teaches that the substance or reality of the bread is changed into that of the body of Christ and the substance of the wine into that of his blood,[3] while all that is accessible to the senses (the outward appearances - species[4][5][6] in Latin) remains unchanged.[7]:1413[8] What remains unaltered is also referred to as the "accidents" of the bread and wine,[9] but this term is not used in the official definition of the doctrine by the Council of Trent.[10] The manner in which the change occurs, the Catholic Church teaches, is a mystery: "The signs of bread and wine become, in a way surpassing understanding, the Body and Blood of Christ."

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jun 15
3 edits

As I understand it the catholic teaching is that the communion wafer and wine turn into the actual flesh and blood of Christ as it is eaten. In most christian denominations communion is purely symbolic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

edit: G_o_D beat me to it above.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jun 15
1 edit

Those are good questions, but yes it is taken seriously.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jun 15

Was planning on elaborating, but was distracted by the doorbell. Would you believe it was a Jehovah Witness?!?
Wasn't robbie carrobie looking to up his success rate was it?

Moves
04 Jun 15

Wasn't robbie carrobie looking to up his success rate was it?
Come to think of it, he was rather a corpulent fellow. (Had something 'of the night' about him).

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jun 15

Those are good questions, but yes it is taken seriously.
So does the wine taste like blood to them?

Moves
04 Jun 15

As written above:

"...while all that is accessible to the senses (the outward appearances) remains unchanged."

So no, the wine would still just taste of wine. Would be good though to hear a Catholic's account of this, as does sound rather odd.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jun 15

I don't know. Perhaps the transubstantiation only occurs once it's in the stomach.