A Brute Fact ?

A Brute Fact ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Jun 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Then present your evidence. So far, all you have done is made silly jokes, then merely repeated the claim over and over like you think that makes it true. Sorry, but that lack of logic actually supports my case.
I have already presented evidence of you contradicting yourself. I'm in the process of collecting evidence of your ginormous ego. When you are ready for me to present it let me know.

Moves
26 Jun 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
I have already presented evidence of you contradicting yourself. I'm in the process of collecting evidence of your ginormous ego. When you are ready for me to present it let me know.
If an absolute truth and a brute fact got together and had a baby, would it be morally acceptable to torture that baby for fun, if both parents gave their consent?

Please answer in precisely 17 words (none of which may contain the letter E).

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Jun 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
If an absolute truth and a brute fact got together and had a baby, would it be morally acceptable to torture that baby for fun, if both parents gave their consent?

Please answer in precisely 17 words (none of which may contain the letter E).
Get some sleep dude. Seriously.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jun 16

I have already presented evidence of you contradicting yourself.
Where is it?

I'm in the process of collecting evidence of your ginormous ego. When you are ready for me to present it let me know.
Present it now. Telling us about how you are going to do something in future is just another example of irrationality. When you have evidence for something, present it. Don't tell us all about the things you are going to have at some future unspecified date.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 Jun 16

Where is it?

[b]I'm in the process of collecting evidence of your ginormous ego. When you are ready for me to present it let me know.

Present it now. Telling us about how you are going to do something in future is just another example of irrationality. When you have evidence for something, present it. Don't tell us all about the things you are going to have at some future unspecified date.[/b]
Where is it?

You first said
“facts are not 'true'”
and then only a short while later you said,
"A fact is "a true piece of information"

This is a clear contradiction. I know that you are struggling to get your colossal ego to accept this and you will do anything to try to convince yourself and me that this is not the case.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jun 16

You first said
“facts are not 'true'”
and then only a short while later you said,
"A fact is "a true piece of information"

This is a clear contradiction.
It is also not the case that I made such a contradiction. You will note that the second instance was actually from a dictionary that I was quoting and is one possible meaning of the word.

I know that you are struggling to get your colossal ego to accept this and you will do anything to try to convince yourself and me that this is not the case.
I know that you struggle with reading comprehension, but given that you know this, you should be a little less eager to claim error in others when the error is most likely on your part (as in this case).
The word 'fact' has more that one meaning as well you know. When I use it, I am not using all possible meanings at once. That is not how English works.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jun 16

To help you understand your error in this case:
You said:

A fact is something that is known to be true.

Then later on you said:
“facts are not 'true'”

(quoting me).
Did you contradict yourself?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Jun 16
1 edit

Huh? What gave you the idea I had brothers with higher degrees? You are either mistaking me with someone else, or hallucinating again.

Then you are not the Atheist poster who has brothers who are all Christians and doctor degreed in something ?

If I confuse you with someone else, excuse me for my mistake. And if it sounds somewhat familiar, you can admit it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Jun 16

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Was "absolute truth" not good enough for you?

You had to start this thread?
I look forward to how this thread might differ from the other.

I did not think this was a identical copy of the Absolute Truth thread.
It could have well been in that discussion.

I believe that the ultimate Absolute Truth is a Living Person.

" I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

I could have said this on the other thread.

The night in the privacy of my living room I called upon the name of Jesus to find Him, I knew that I had touched truth. Before I wandered in the vanity of the mind. an inescapable maze - a real Matrix, a labyrinth of deceit.

I would definitely say that the ultimate truth is in a living Person.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 16

More evidence of your ego. The evidence is piling up.
Yes he needs some ego and I think twhitehead is good at keeping his in check - if his posting history is anything to go by.

Bringing the 'ego card' into this 'discussion' is pointless IMO.

It demands a new thread.

Ego or not, you must first address the content of the posts before trying to infer the posters' attitude. This is below the belt posting.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 16

[b]I do however think I am more logical than you when it comes to what I say on this forum

What you think doesn't really matter. There is evidence to suggest otherwise. That is what matters.[/b]
The evidence suggests that twhitehead is more logical than you and sonship put together and whereas I am not an atheist I am appalled as to how both of you stoop to personal attacks on anyone that doesn't give your limp assertions right of way.

I hope you are learning something from these exchanges, for if not I really don't see what good they may be ...

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 16

Originally posted by sonship
Was "absolute truth" not good enough for you?

You had to start this thread?
I look forward to how this thread might differ from the other.

I did not think this was a identical copy of the [b] Absolute Truth
thread.
It could have well been in that discussion.

I believe that the ultimate Absolute Truth is a Livin ...[text shortened]... yrinth of deceit.

I would definitely say that the ultimate truth is in a living Person.
".. ultimate truth is in a living Person"

Is a living person or is IN a living person . I know what you said but if it is inside a living person then it is that person as well ... in a way.

You have come into contact with the truth as revealed by JC. Good.
I have come into contact with "truth" via other means.

I have seen the power of JC first hand so I won't deny it, but to limit truth to JC and not broaden your horizons really paints yourself into a self-contradictory corner every time you post!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Jun 16

Originally posted by karoly aczel
".. ultimate truth is in a living Person"

Is a living person or is IN a living person . I know what you said but if it is inside a living person then it is that person as well ... in a way.

You have come into contact with the truth as revealed by JC. Good.
I have come into contact with "truth" via other means.

I have seen the power of JC fi ...[text shortened]... oaden your horizons really paints yourself into a self-contradictory corner every time you post!
Broaden my horizons ?

All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are in Christ.
The scope of Christ is described as the very dimensions of the universe.

" ... being rooted and grounded in love, May be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ ... ' (Eph. 3:18,19)

How broad is "the breadth" ?
How long is "the ... length" ?
How high is "the ... height" ?
How deep is "the ... depth" ?

These are infinite as the dimensions of the universe. No wonder it will take eternity to enjoy all that Christ is.

But some truth surely can be found in many sources, if that is what you mean.
Islam says that there is one God.
In spite of all the wrong things Islam teaches, in that aspect it does teach what is true.

Buddhism teaches that there is something of an illusion to the world. There is some truth to that. Buddhism, in so far as it points out something not quite real about the world and even suffering, has its hands on some truth.

So Christ is the truth as a living Person. But we can touch some truth before we meet this living Person.

Confucius taught of the "bright virtue" in every man. Since even though we are fallen into sin, there still remains something corresponding to our original creation buried under the damaged fallen soul, Confucius had his hands also on some truth.

Moves
26 Jun 16

There is a school of thought that takes brute facts to comprise all the facts of the universe, and none of them is necessary for the occurrence of other facts. Causal determinism is therefore a human construct.

quote:

"Interestingly, philosophers tend to acknowledge the apparent threat determinism poses to free will, even when they explicitly reject the view that laws are pushy explainers. Earman (1986), for example, advocates a theory of laws of nature that takes them to be simply the best system of regularities that systematizes all the events in universal history. This is the Best Systems Analysis (BSA), with roots in the work of Hume, Mill and Ramsey, and most recently refined and defended by David Lewis (1973, 1994) and by Earman (1984, 1986). (cf. entry on laws of nature). Yet he ends his comprehensive Primer on Determinism with a discussion of the free will problem, taking it as a still-important and unresolved issue. Prima facie this is quite puzzling, for the BSA is founded on the idea that the laws of nature are ontologically derivative, not primary; it is the events of universal history, as brute facts, that make the laws be what they are, and not vice-versa."

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/determinism-causal/

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Jun 16

Originally posted by sonship
Broaden my horizons ?

All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are in Christ.
The scope of Christ is described as the very dimensions of the universe.

[quote] [b] " ... being rooted and grounded in love, May be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing ...[text shortened]... ginal creation buried under the damaged fallen soul, Confucius had his hands also on some truth.
Yes broaden your horizons.
By this I mean keep learning. You don't ever stop learning do you?

You have touched upon some populist ideas from some major religions and have confirmed my idea that universal truth (which cannot be expressed adequatly by any words), runs through them all.
So I weed out the bad from the good any carry on.

The bad in this case being things like idolatry, carelessness , false ego , etc.

But most importantly that no one religion has the monopoly on truth.
And they all claim it with the exception of Buddhism, which doesn't claim very much at all (lol). And Hinduism does not deny any other manifestations of the Divine (and hence gets my tick of approval).

Whereas you go back to "No on shall come to the Father except through me" , and then go on to label others as elitist.

No Sonship, this arguement does not work. If god is universal (which it must be by defintion), then there is more than one way to get to heaven.
(Heck , even reverse psychology like atheism 😀 )