:)

:)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JJ

Moves
14 Sep 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
And my point was that you do not strive to be like Christ, you strive to get into heaven. The selfishness of your motivation is the reason why you fail.
Christ was the only perfect human being...why is it selfish to try and emulate him?

JJ

Moves
14 Sep 07

You never said anything about salvation in your original post. Since you needed to come up with something else, do you agree that your original argument is invalid?
Aphrodite was brought up i only talked about God... Does God not offer Salvation as well as all the other things i mentioned...its all in the package from him!

G
Justice 4 the 96

Airstrip One

Moves
14 Sep 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
Aphrodite was brought up i only talked about God... Does God not offer Salvation as well as all the other things i mentioned...its all in the package from him!
The magical purple doodad (thanks ammanion) also offers Salvation... 😉

Hey, it's a competitive market out there peeps...

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
14 Sep 07

I also don't see any sign that the Christian God is promoting love, happiness and eternal bliss. You say that but you don't act it nor do many other Christians.
Why do you base your assumtions on a few?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
14 Sep 07

Those who strive because they truly believe that that is the right thing to do...
I don't believe what you're saying here and Christianity are mutually exclusive.

JJ

Moves
14 Sep 07

Originally posted by Goatboysrevenge
The magical purple doodad (thanks ammanion) also offers Salvation... 😉

Hey, it's a competitive market out there peeps...
🙄

G
Justice 4 the 96

Airstrip One

Moves
14 Sep 07

🙄
I think the point I was trying to make was that it's not only Christianity that offers Salvation/Heaven etc.

Roll up, roll up, sign up to Purple Doodadism today and get a free Alarm Clock!!

😉

Cape Town

Moves
14 Sep 07

Christ was the only perfect human being...why is it selfish to try and emulate him?
I never said it was, I said it was selfish to try to emulate him solely for the purpose of getting yourself into heaven.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Sep 07

You asked why people reject God and suggested that since God is promoting love,happiness and eternal bliss he should not be rejected.
So we pointed out that you also reject Aphrodite who promotes the same ideals.
Salvation was not mentioned in your original argument. So do you accept that your original argument is invalid?
Do you also accept that since The magical purple doodad also offers salvation and you have not become a doodadist, your expanded argument is equally invalid?

JJ

Moves
14 Sep 07

You asked why people reject God and suggested that since God is promoting love,happiness and eternal bliss he should not be rejected.
So we pointed out that you also reject Aphrodite who promotes the same ideals.
Salvation was not mentioned in your original argument. So do you accept that your original argument is invalid?
Do you also accept that since ...[text shortened]... offers salvation and you have not become a doodadist, your expanded argument is equally invalid?
I dont reject anything that promotes love etc...my original argument is not invalid,its not an argument its just a thought that something that promotes good in its many forms is rejected...i cant understand that!!!

JJ

Moves
14 Sep 07

I never said it was, I said it was selfish to try to emulate him solely for the purpose of getting yourself into heaven.
But surely that is what all christians want...to be in heaven with their creator?!?!?!

P

Moves
14 Sep 07
1 edit

But surely that is what all christians want...to be in heaven with their creator?!?!?!
Yes, at the end of the day, they try to emulate Christ for the reward they beleve that will get them in the afterlife. They are doing it for personal gain. Purely selfish reasons.

Not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with that, most things are done for personal gain of some kind or other. For example, philanthropists generally give their money and time because they get an emotional hit from it that is worth more to them than the time or money they are giving.

--- Penguin.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
14 Sep 07

I cant understand why people choose to reject God...surely if God is promoting love,happiness and eternal bliss why are people shunning this???
Its the hypocrisy and uncertainty of it all that bothers me not the message or the ideal. I'm all for having the security blanket of an all knowing God that fills the word with love, peace and understanding.

How many times have you gone to Church and passed a vagrant sleeping on the street? Have your ever read the Good Book only to violate it's message shortly thereafter? Does your charity only come at Christmas? Do you volunteer at homeless shelters? Given the choice between buying and ipod for 75% off and giving the money to a starving bum which would you do? What did it cost to build your local church $2million, $3million, $500 thousand? Could this money be used in a better way?

I feel that there is a God, but, I can't prove this. I loathe organized religions bizarre and inconsistant messages. Humanity's quest for spiritual truth should not be such a train wreck.

d

Moves
14 Sep 07
1 edit

I dont reject anything that promotes love etc...

So, you accept Aphrodite? Aphrodite promotes love.

my original argument is not invalid,its not an argument its just a thought that something that promotes good in its many forms is rejected...i cant understand that!!!

Let me see if I can help you understand.

The fact that something is said to promote good is not in itself evidence that that thing actually exists. Atheists don't reject good, or love. We do our best to promote those things, just as you do. We just don't believe that God, at least as described by monotheistic religion, really exists. And since he doesn't exist, he's actually incapable of promoting good; he'd have to exist in order to do that.

That's why I brought up Aphrodite. You don't have to believe Aphrodite is real in order to believe in, and promote, love.

JJ

Moves
14 Sep 07

.Originally posted by darthmix
[b]I dont reject anything that promotes love etc...

So, you accept Aphrodite? Aphrodite promotes love.

my original argument is not invalid,its not an argument its just a thought that something that promotes good in its many forms is rejected...i cant understand that!!!

Let me see if I can help you u ...[text shortened]... e. You don't have to believe Aphrodite is real in order to believe in, and promote, love.[/b]
Good points.... yes i will believe Aphrodite because its a good message... can an Atheist prove to me that God doesn't exist...i keep hearing people say "prove to me God exists" well for a change someone prove to me he doesn't.... i would rather live my life believing and then die to find out im wrong than to live my life disbelieving then dying to find out im wrong... you get what i mean