1. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 14:42
    I cant understand why people choose to reject God...surely if God is promoting love,happiness and eternal bliss why are people shunning this???
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 15:23
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    I cant understand why people choose to reject God...surely if God is promoting love,happiness and eternal bliss why are people shunning this???
    Those are the good parts. I'm sure you can think something negative all by yourself.
    For me it's enough: "it just does not make any sense", or "it is not necessary".
    I can have lots of love and happiness with real people that react back. And that's marvelous, believe me.
    God only lives in your imagination. If you feel he loves you back, that's ok, good for you. Some people just can't live in that illusionary state of mind.
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    Those are the good parts. I'm sure you can think something negative all by yourself.
    For me it's enough: "it just does not make any sense", or "it is not necessary".
    I can have lots of love and happiness with real people that react back. And that's marvelous, believe me.
    God only lives in your imagination. If you feel he loves you back, that's ok, good for you. Some people just can't live in that illusionary state of mind.
    What makes you think it is illusionary...im interested !!!

Also unless im missing something...you didn't really answer my question....
  4. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 16:49
    Most people don't reject God. In order to consciously reject him, you have to be conscious of the fact that he exists in the first place. In my judgment God does not exist. It's not his fault he doesn't exist, and I don't hold it against him. It's not Aphrodite's fault that she doesn't exist, either, but that doesn't mean I reject romantic love.
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Sep '07 22:43
    But you could use the same argument against any imaginary supernatural creature.

'I can't understand why people choose to reject the magical purple doodad ... surely if the magical purple doodad is promoting love, happiness and eternal bliss why are people shunning this???'

This of course makes no sense since there is no magical purple doodad. And this is exactly why people reject god. There isn't one ...
  6. Illinois
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 06:38
    Originally posted by amannion
    But you could use the same argument against any imaginary supernatural creature.

'I can't understand why people choose to reject the magical purple doodad ... surely if the magical purple doodad is promoting love, happiness and eternal bliss why are people shunning this???'

This of course makes no sense since there is no magical purple doodad. And this is exactly why people reject god. There isn't one ...
    And this is exactly why people reject god. There isn't one ...

Of course there is a God. Haven't you read the bible? The reason people deny God exists is because they'd rather not feel guilty about all the bad things they've done. If the God of the bible exists, then they'd have to either accept the conditions of His forgiveness or be judged according to their guilt. Since neither is an acceptable option, the only remaining course of action is to bury one's head in the sand, i.e., to "reject God because He doesn't exist," regardless of whether the bible is true or not. It is a gamble one takes according the confidence one has in oneself; a self-imposed burden, carrying with it a vague sense of righteous indignation. Like Betrand Russell, those who deny Christ's existence are ever ready to stand before God with an excuse as to why they rejected Him ("Not enough evidence, Lord!" ). But the word of God says, all men and women will be without excuse on the day of judgment. It may all seem ridiculous to you now, and your confidence in your denial of Christ may come easy and bring you a certain sense of satisfaction now, but on the day of judgment everything, your entire world, will be turned upside down. Clever people like Betrand Russell and Richard Dawkins will be weeping and gnashing their teeth before their impending visit to the Great White Throne Judgment along with yourself. Every person will have their day in the sun, when everything hidden in the darkness will be exposed and plainly seen. All will be judged according the righteous judgment of Jesus Christ; everyone who ever lived will recognize Him as the eternal Lord - on the day of judgment. It is what keeps you from trusting Him now that will ultimately damn you. Trust and believe while you still have time. Is repentance and self-denial really that much to ask for eternal life? Only you can decide that.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 07:42
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]And this is exactly why people reject god. There isn't one ...

Of course there is a God. Haven't you read the bible? The reason people deny God exists is because they'd rather not feel guilty about all the bad things they've done. If the God of the bible exists, then they'd have to either accept the conditions of His forgiveness or be judged ...[text shortened]... and self-denial really that much to ask for eternal life? Only you can decide that.[/b]
    It's too much to ask for me.
    I'll stand with my head high in front of any god and proudly announce that they don't exist. Just point me in the right direction ...
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 07:44
    darthmix had a good point. Why do you reject Aphrodite when she too is promoting love happiness and eternal bliss?

I to cannot understand why anyone who believed in God would reject him and I honestly am not aware of anyone who has. I don't believe in God and have not knowingly rejected an existent God.

I also don't see any sign that the Christian God is promoting love, happiness and eternal bliss. You say that but you don't act it nor do many other Christians.
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 08:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    darthmix had a good point. Why do you reject Aphrodite when she too is promoting love happiness and eternal bliss?

I to cannot understand why anyone who believed in God would reject him and I honestly am not aware of anyone who has. I don't believe in God and have not knowingly rejected an existent God.

I also don't see any sign that the Christian G ...[text shortened]... happiness and eternal bliss. You say that but you don't act it nor do many other Christians.
    Thats the greatest cause of atheism..... its sad i know but we are not perfect,we strive to be....
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 08:43
    Thats the greatest cause of atheism..... its sad i know but we are not perfect,we strive to be....
    No actually, I am not atheist because of the behavior of Christians. I am atheist because I am yet to come across any convincing evidence that God exists and I have seen a vast amount of convincing evidence that he doesn't. Christians behavior is only a tiny part of that evidence.
    It is however convincing evidence that humans have a tendency to prioritize the here and now over the distant future. If a million dollars was placed on a table and everybody was told that whoever takes it can have it but they will die in exactly 10 years, what percentage of people would take it?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 08:46
    .. its sad i know but we are not perfect,we strive to be....
    It is my belief that the reason for many peoples failure is because they strive for the wrong reasons. Those who strive because they truly believe that that is the right thing to do and it is what they want, do far better than those who strive solely in the hope of getting into heaven.
    It is easier to tell yourself "I am weak, God will forgive me" than to tell yourself "I am weak, I will forgive myself".
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 09:34

I also don't see any sign that the Christian G ...[text shortened]... happiness and eternal bliss. You say that but you don't act it nor do many other Christians.
    Does Aphrodite promise salvation...no!!!
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 09:35
    It is my belief that the reason for many peoples failure is because they strive for the wrong reasons. Those who strive because they truly believe that that is the right thing to do and it is what they want, do far better than those who strive solely in the hope of getting into heaven.
    It is easier to tell yourself "I am weak, God will forgive me" than to tell yourself "I am weak, I will forgive myself".
    Thats why we are not perfect...exactly my point...we strive to be like Christ and always fall short.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 10:39
    Does Aphrodite promise salvation...no!!!
    You never said anything about salvation in your original post. Since you needed to come up with something else, do you agree that your original argument is invalid?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Sep '07 10:41
    Thats why we are not perfect...exactly my point...we strive to be like Christ and always fall short.
    And my point was that you do not strive to be like Christ, you strive to get into heaven. The selfishness of your motivation is the reason why you fail.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree