Zero Day timeout option

Zero Day timeout option

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
26 Mar 10

Why isn't it possible to set up zero day timeout games as challenges or open invites?

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
27 Mar 10

Oh, and before my thread gets hijacked, I'd also like to point out that it's high time we fixed the pgn move thingy.

Australia

Moves
27 Mar 10

Originally posted by clandarkfire
Why isn't it possible to set up zero day timeout games as challenges or open invites?
Timezones maybe?

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
27 Mar 10

Yes but they already have such tournaments - and if people weren't willing to play those time controls, they wouldn't have to accept the games.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
27 Mar 10

Why not go a step further and have an hourly set up, e.g 3 hour game with set moves, like 5 mins?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Apr 10

Same reason we don't have live games.

This is a correspondence chess site.

Read that slowly if you don't get it.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
04 Apr 10

Then why do we have tournaments with those time controls?

Read it slowly if you don't get it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
04 Apr 10
1 edit

Is this really important?

Just play Blitz.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
04 Apr 10

No, its not than important, but I dare say it's more important than most of the other things being suggested.

This is a chess site after all, and such a variant would help it out. How often do you see new users complaining about how long their opponents take to move?

Blitz is different. I want to play correspondence chess, because I like the fact that I am able to use the analysis board and opening databases - I just want the option to play faster.

Like I said, if you don't want to play with those time controls, you don't have to use them.

The option is already there for touraments, so it's not like it would take huge amounts of work for the admins.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
04 Apr 10

Ok, but zero day timeout, would mean you have to finish the game in 24hrs right?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Apr 10

Like I said, if you don't want to play with those time controls, you don't have to use them.
Could you also arrange it so that my rating is not compared to the ratings of those people who won most of their games on timeout?

Read a book!

Moves
04 Apr 10

Typically, tournaments with zero-day timeouts provide timebanks of 21 days (for hardcore
tournaments) and even 60 days (for the annual championship). If you are suggesting 0/21
challenges and open invites, I think it's an excellent idea.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
04 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Ok, but zero day timeout, would mean you have to finish the game in 24hrs right?
No, I mean that your timebank starts depleting as soon as your opponents moves. This could be with 7 day timebank, 21 day timebank, 60 day timebank, or 300 day timebank, whatever you want.

0/21 or 0/28 would be easiest to implement.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
04 Apr 10

Originally posted by Suzianne
Could you also arrange it so that my rating is not compared to the ratings of those people who won most of their games on timeout?
Responsible individuals will not accept games whose time controls are too fast for them.

If your rating is really that important to you, then I believe you are among a minority.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
05 Apr 10

No, I mean that your timebank starts depleting as soon as your opponents moves. This could be with 7 day timebank, 21 day timebank, 60 day timebank, or 300 day timebank, whatever you want.

0/21 or 0/28 would be easiest to implement.
Ok, I see what you mean.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but hey those who like it why not.