The beta board code is complete!

The beta board code is complete!

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jan 06

Originally posted by Russ
I have split everyone who has volunteered so far in to two groups, so if the first group find no serious issues before tomorrow, I will introduce the second group.

Thanks again to all for offering to help. (Running this beta process makes my life waaaaay less stressful 😀)

-Russ
A couple of things so far.

Not really bugs, I don't think.

1) Before, in My Games, games where it is my turn to move were bolded. I preferred that presentation
2) If you are at the start of a game in the analyse board screen, and you keep clicking back, then the action count keeps increasing. Same if you're at the end of a game and click forward. If the action count only incremented when an action actually does something, it would be nicer.
3) You still can't save your notebook on your move without making a move. :'(

That's it for now. Its looking well.

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jan 06
1 edit

I'm not finding the "action" system very intuitive.

Game navigation adds to the action list, but if I'm at the current position (say move 20), and click Back to the original position. Then, if I undo that action, The board is at the move 20, but the game navigator is at the start of the game, if you get me.

D

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
24 Jan 06

Quick comment before I reply in full later, the action is position N of Y.

Y items in the action history in total, and you are currently viewing position N.

-Russ

N

The sky

Moves
24 Jan 06
1 edit

If I open a game, there are often some pieces missing, and they only pop up when I click on the board. Pieces also often disappear from the game page when I open the analyze board, and again only reappear when I go back to the page and click on the board. This doesn't happen with the old board code.

Edit: I love the addition of time control details on the main game page!

s

Moves
24 Jan 06

Not exactly high priority, but I got a PHP parsing error when attempting to create a new folder for my games:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ',' in /var/www/redhotpawn.com/mygames/editgamesfolder.php on line 72

Other than that, I'm having no problems at all so far. It's great, Russ! 🙂

m
Moo

UK

Moves
24 Jan 06

I'm not sure if this has already been pointed out - did a quick scan but couldn't see it in the thread.

The "skip this game for now" button doesn't skip. It just reloads the same game.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
24 Jan 06

Not sure if this belongs here because it exists in "live" too, and is more of a style bugette than a core code bug, but if you go to the "my settings" "board preferences" and then click the "my settings" menu item again, the menu appears but the button - showing "board size - large" appears in front of the menu.

s

Moves
24 Jan 06

Uhm, I just resigned a game I was loosing miserably. I gave a "good game" end speach, with a smiley to step away from the board with a little dignity left.

But...

...the game is still on. :

You might want to look into that one. 🙂

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jan 06

Originally posted by Russ
Quick comment before I reply in full later, the action is position N of Y.

Y items in the action history in total, and you are currently viewing position N.

-Russ
I get that.

I'll try to explain it a bit clearer.

-I go into analyse game
-The game position is at the current position. Eg: Move 20
-I click the Back to Start button in the Game History Navigator, so I'm now at the first position, ie: the dashes immediately above move 1 in the Game History Navigator section.
-I then click on "Undo Action", this puts the board back to the current position, ie: Move 20, but the Game History Navigator is still on the starting position, ie: the dashes, so when you try to navigate, the navigator is set to position 0, while the board is at position 20.

D

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
24 Jan 06

Originally posted by mrmist
Not sure if this belongs here because it exists in "live" too, and is more of a style bugette than a core code bug, but if you go to the "my settings" "board preferences" and then click the "my settings" menu item again, the menu appears but the button - showing "board size - large" appears in front of the menu.
😕 What operating system are you using? I haven't had that problem on Mozilla or IE?

p

Orlando, Florida

Moves
24 Jan 06

I would be interested to see if the new board works for me.

Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; HP-UX 9000/778; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20050120

N

The sky

Moves
24 Jan 06

Originally posted by Freddie2006
😕 What operating system are you using? I haven't had that problem on Mozilla or IE?
I don't have that problem in Opera either.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
24 Jan 06

Originally posted by Freddie2006
It's XP Prof, SP2, using IE 6.0.2900.2180 at 1280x1024.

For those unable to reproduce it, a sample screengrab is at

http://www.misthaven.org.uk/blog/pics/chessmenu.jpg

It really isn't a great big deal, but it looks odd.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
24 Jan 06

Just checked it in Opera on the same computer, Opera is fine and renders the menu properly.

IE exhibits the same behaviour on other screens where select boxes fall in the space occupied by the menu, such as My settings - my personal details and the long forum menu. Probably some kind of odd issue with the way IE chooses to present the layers.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
24 Jan 06

Another bug. There's no "Post new thread" button in forums.

At thread level I get the forum badge, then it should be Forum list then New thread. Instead it's thread list, forum list, etc. No new thread anywhere.