1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 12:18
    At last! I have fixed the final bug (right...) in the new board code and it is currently being uploaded to the test box.

Initially, just one person will be testing it, but by the end of the week I will open it up to all who are interested. Sorry if we have been through this process already, but if you would like to help, please post your name here and I will contact you directly.

Feature list and screenshots to follow. (and a list of remaining limitations on this beta that will be sorted out shortly)

-Russ
  2. UK
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 12:41
    Aye, sign me up if you like.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:051 edit
    For the second time (Grrrr, MS Word just crashed and lost all of this witter the first time around…dam you Mr Gates! 😉)

Main features

Flippable/invert board. : Flips board in realtime – no need for page to refresh.

Animated castling : the rook will appear to move before the move is submitted.

Animated en-passant : the capture will be visible before the move is submitted.

Material/captured pieces bar : This now updates in realtime as pieces are moved. Useful in board analysis mode.

Time control details : Available from the board view, presented textually.

Resign game : Option available at anytime from the board view.

Game analysis : This pages gets the most new features. Experiment with lines and then rewind to try alternatives. Complete history of moves retained until a new line is tried. Any piece can be added or removed from the board using contextual right clicks on the pieces/board. Again, this can all be undone with ease.

Board history : Far more comprehensive details are available when viewing other peoples games, including the material/captured pieces bar and links to game analysis. (and the time control information)

Other more general improvements

Better support for more varied pieces and board designs. Expect more (and more sensible) alternatives for sets to appear rapidly.

Sidebar on board view has had its presentation improved. (Icons tidied up, better form buttons through out the site.) Some of the existing information is presented in a more logical way too. Flags added, new icons for black and white players, with ‘to move next’ indicators when viewing board history.

New button bar presentation! (This was released last week, but it was part of this work)

That is about all I can think of for now. Other things that may be of interest: The board should be lighter now (less html, so less bandwidth.) There is a far greater dependence on JavaScript though, so some older browsers will not cope. I have tested on a number of browsers without any problems, including IE 5.0, but mobile devices that may have just about worked previously will be very unlikely to work once this beta is released. (Hence the more urgent need for a no thrills dedicated interface for mobile devices. 99.99% of moves are using a standard browser, so this is not that critical. )

-Russ
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:071 edit
    Limitations of beta :

One board & set of pieces, at one size only.

This will be updated later in the week. If you are beta testing, you can jump between the live site and the beta site should you hit a critical problem. (Please notify me right away if you see something serious)

-Russ
  5. The sky
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:10
    Originally posted by mrmist
    Aye, sign me up if you like.
    Me too. Can't wait to see it!
  6. The sky
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:12
    Originally posted by Russ
    Limitations of beta :

One board & set of pieces, at one size only.
    I just hope it's not the Smiley set! 😲
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:161 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I just hope it's not the Smiley set! 😲
    Expect smiley set to die a painfful death and cast off into RHP history very shortly. 🙂

-Russ
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:191 edit
    EDIT: The pawn image on the board is not for the production version. It has now been removed from the beta too - so don't panic.

Screens. Not that they are of much value, but it gives an idea of what
    is coming to those who are not going to beta it. (and have some input)

Main board:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rnewman/rhp2shots/mainboard.gif

History:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rnewman/rhp2shots/gamehistory.gif

Analysis:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rnewman/rhp2shots/analysisboard.gif

-Russ
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:20
    Oh, that pawn shadow on the board is just a proof of concept, not a final board. (Although it could remain, I quite like it now!)

-Russ
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 13:54
    Originally posted by Russ
    Oh, that pawn shadow on the board is just a proof of concept, not a final board. (Although it could remain, I quite like it now!)

-Russ
    Sign me up for testing.

I hate the pawn shadow btw, everything else looks super sweet.

Can the notebook be updated at any time without making a move now?

Cheers,

D
  11. Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 14:32
    Yes, could you sign me up too?
    Cant wait to try it out!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 14:421 edit
    take away the pawn shadow, please!

can we flip the analysis board?
  13. The sky
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 14:54
    Originally posted by trevor33
    can we flip the analysis board?
    I guess that's what the "flip board" button will do. 🙂
  14. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 15:21
    Russ, please please lose the shadow, sacreligious, Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus what were you thinking.
  15. Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 15:23
    Originally posted by ronoc
    Russ, please please lose the shadow, sacreligious, Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus what were you thinking.
    Actually, I quite like it.... but not too sure about it being a permenant feature

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree