The beta board code is complete!

The beta board code is complete!

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k

Moves
26 Jan 06

Originally posted by Russ
[b]EDIT: The pawn image on the board is not for the production version. It has now been removed from the beta too - so don't panic.

Screens. Not that they are of much value, but it gives an idea of what
is coming to those who are not going to beta it. (and have some input)

Main board:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rnewman/rhp2shots/mainboard.gif ...[text shortened]... ory.gif

Analysis:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rnewman/rhp2shots/analysisboard.gif

-Russ[/b]
Russ

Just a small comment on the main board screen: Would it be possible to say when the last move was made?

Apologies if I am way behind the main pack.

cheers

Kev

m
Moo

UK

Moves
26 Jan 06

Pretty much a bug free day today.

The one bug I have found today is a variation on the pieces not being moved correctly for the last game in the list bug, except that this one concerns the game update text.

In the associated screenshot, you can see that the word "check" is visible. This text should not be there. I was in check - and probably will be again 😉 - but now am not.

http://www.misthaven.org.uk/blog/pics/rhpcheck.jpg

Clicking on the game at a later point correctly does not show the "check" text.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
26 Jan 06
1 edit

Guys,

I am not fixing issues and responding anywhere near as quickly as I would like at the moment. It was a race to get the beta available before I kicked off some intensive non-RHP work, so I am picking things up as and when I can.

Early next week I should have time to fix the bigger issues and add any requested enhancements, so do keep them coming, all comments are helpful.

So far, I am really pleased with the way things have gone, because not only is the interface all new, but there is also some significant re-engineering work of core code elsewhere too, so no news = good news.

Thanks again to all who are helping. I will delay the second group who volunteered a little longer, if that is OK.
Cheers.

-Russ

N

The sky

Moves
26 Jan 06

One very minor thing - when I have read a thread and want to go back to the thread list, I keep going to the forum list instead, because the two links are switched. And when you are in the thread list, there's a link to the thread list, which doesn't make much sense if you already are there.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
26 Jan 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
One very minor thing - when I have read a thread and want to go back to the thread list, I keep going to the forum list instead, because the two links are switched. And when you are in the thread list, there's a link to the thread list, which doesn't make much sense if you already are there.
I actually think that the link buttons in the beta are better than in live, because they are consistent whereever you are within the forums. In live, they move around in a fairly odd manner.

N

The sky

Moves
26 Jan 06

Originally posted by mrmist
I actually think that the link buttons in the beta are better than in live, because they are consistent whereever you are within the forums. In live, they move around in a fairly odd manner.
You have a point, but I still find a useless link a bit weird, even if it helps to keep the list more consistent. And to always have the link to the next level - i.e. the link to the forum list if you are in the thread list, and the link to the thread list if you are in a thread - as the first link on the left, is also consistent in its own way, and I find it more practical because the link I am most likely to use is always in the same place.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 Jan 06

Originally posted by mrmist
They are an improvement, but I don't think that the Forum List and Thread List should have been switched around.

D

N

The sky

Moves
26 Jan 06

You have a point, but I still find a useless link a bit weird, even if it helps to keep the list more consistent. And to always have the link to the next level - i.e. the link to the forum list if you are in the thread list, and the link to the thread list if you are in a thread - as the first link on the left, is also consistent in its own way, and I find it more practical because the link I am most likely to use is always in the same place.
Hm, I have been monitoring my clicking behaviour, and I found out that I actually don't use that Forum List link at all. I always use the Forums link in the row above. That may explain why I don't find the varying link order in the old version confusing. In the beta version, I still keep going to the forum list instead of the thread list. I don't seem to be capable of learning anymore.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
26 Jan 06

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/Freddie2004/rhpbug6.jpg

Problem with the bar at the top of the forums again.

N

The sky

Moves
26 Jan 06

When I look at a public game, the board is shown from black's point of view. Quite confusing, especially when the game has come so far that you can't easily tell which side is which. I first wondered if I had accidentally flipped the board, but it always comes up like that.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
27 Jan 06

When I look at a public game, the board is shown from black's point of view. Quite confusing, especially when the game has come so far that you can't easily tell which side is which. I first wondered if I had accidentally flipped the board, but it always comes up like that.
Click My Settings (located in RHP/TFC/CAW/RHC bar, Red, Green, Black, or Red bar.)

Click My Board Settings from a drop list.

Under 'Turn on or off board coordinate surround on board.' click check box, this will turn on 'Board coordinates'.

Black starts on the 8th rank, White on the first.

P-

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
27 Jan 06
1 edit

I just noticed that clicking on the forward or go to end buttons in the game history navigation no longer resets the board to its real, current position.

I don't know if this is intended, or not.

[EDIT] I had only noticed it in the analyse board screen so I thought it might be intended to work with the new remember actions system, but its the same on the game history screen, so if you play around with the pieces, there is no way to 1-click reset the board.

D

N

The sky

Moves
27 Jan 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Click My Settings (located in RHP/TFC/CAW/RHC bar, Red, Green, Black, or Red bar.)

Click My Board Settings from a drop list.

Under 'Turn on or off board coordinate surround on board.' click check box, this will turn on 'Board coordinates'.

Black starts on the 8th rank, White on the first.

P-
I know. And I have the board coordinates enabled. I usually don't look at them, though (they are also a lot more inconspicuous in the new board - they are smaller and are shown only on one side of the board), unless I have a reason to do so. It seems to be a convention on all chess sites I know of to show the board from white's point of view (unless it's your own game and you play black), so if I open a game, it wouldn't normally occur to me to check whether this is the case.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
27 Jan 06

I know. And I have the board coordinates enabled. I usually don't look at them, though (they are also a lot more inconspicuous in the new board - they are smaller and are shown only on one side of the board), unless I have a reason to do so. It seems to be a convention on all chess sites I know of to show the board from white's point of view (unless it's you ...[text shortened]... k), so if I open a game, it wouldn't normally occur to me to check whether this is the case.
The small board is just for development.

When it goes live, we'll be able to choose which size board to look at again, I believe.

D

N

The sky

Moves
27 Jan 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
The small board is just for development.

When it goes live, we'll be able to choose which size board to look at again, I believe.

D
Oops, I hadn't even noticed the board was smaller. But in the old version, even if I use the small board, the coordinates are written on each side of the board, they are bold, and the letters are in capitals. I prefer it that way, although it's not important. My main point was that the board should be shown from white's point of view when you open a game.