1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    03 May '20 17:25
    @very-rusty said
    I could post I am going to give everyone 1,000.00 and would get a thumbs down. It just becomes a popularity contest!

-VR
    Yeah, but that's exactly why I was suggesting ignoring the thumbs down. You also get green thumbs up for your good stuff. Look back on this thread and you will see that.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 May '20 17:32
    @petewxyz said
    Yeah, but that's exactly why I was suggesting ignoring the thumbs down. You also get green thumbs up for your good stuff. Look back on this thread and you will see that.
    I don't believe the thumbs up or down to mean anything except it gives someone a chance to give you thumbs down without having to say anything. Popular posters will get all the thumbs up no matter what they say!! I been around long enough to know. The little group will all give each other thumbs up, thereby controlling the threads.

-VR
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 May '20 03:51
    It's a public forum subject to the rules imposed by the site owner.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 May '20 10:10
    @handyandy said
    It's a public forum subject to the rules imposed by the site owner.
    Correct and this is the "Site Ideas Forum" where everyone is entitled to give their opinions. The owner (Russ) always has the last say in what happens.

-VR
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    04 May '20 10:202 edits
    Before we got the thumbs we had the option to "recommend" which encouraged people to give credit to posts they liked, but didn't give the option to sneer. My personal opinion is that the change was a retrograde step. Thumbs bring the nasty critters out of the woodwork.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    04 May '20 12:051 edit
    I would never be in favor of "consequence-free trolling". And it appears that this is the status quo.

Some of the suggestions are extreme, but others are certainly worth consideration.

Presenting an "earned-right" to multi-post in a particular thread seems reasonable and fair.

The thumbs down , or up for that matter, have done nothing to discourage the senseless inanities which have derailed many thoughtful, interesting threads here. Attention addicts satisfy themselves in either case.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    04 May '20 12:22
    @kewpie said
    Before we got the thumbs we had the option to "recommend" which encouraged people to give credit to posts they liked, but didn't give the option to sneer. My personal opinion is that the change was a retrograde step. Thumbs bring the nasty critters out of the woodwork.
    Not only do I not use the thumb system, I never look at it either.
    I sometimes get messages saying "3 people have recommended your post ...." so the original system you mention must still be running in tandem.
    I don't look at that message either so I don't know how it's generated although I assume it's somehow automatic.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 May '20 12:361 edit
    @kewpie said
    I agree, too many nasty critters thumbing down posts! 😉 😛 You all know who you are!!! 😉

-VR
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 May '20 12:38
    @venda said
    Not only do I not use the thumb system, I never look at it either.
    I sometimes get messages saying "3 people have recommended your post ...." so the original system you mention must still be running in tandem.
    I don't look at that message either so I don't know how it's generated although I assume it's somehow automatic.
    All I see it has done Venda is give people a change to thumb down a post without having to say a word. When I thumb down a post I always say I did it and reason behind why I gave it a thumbs down.

Hell I get thumbs down for saying I was out for a walk to get some exercise, which is just plain silly in my opinion.

-VR
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 May '20 12:481 edit
    @wolfe63 said
    I would never be in favor of "consequence-free trolling". And it appears that this is the status quo.

Some of the suggestions are extreme, but others are certainly worth consideration.

Presenting an "earned-right" to multi-post in a particular thread seems reasonable and fair.

The thumbs down , or up for that matter, have done nothing to discourage the ...[text shortened]... iled many thoughtful, interesting threads here. Attention addicts satisfy themselves in either case.
    I give you the thumbs down wolfy, just another way for the little group to control a thread as far as I am concerned!

Some of you don't mind going in and derailing threads yourselves, but get all upset when the same is done to a thread of yours or the little group.

We don't need a little group controlling the threads.

Russ, has put moderators in charge of removing posts which should not be posted. That is good enough for me and should also be good enough for everyone else in my opinion once again.

Who do you feel should controll the threads, give me some names!!!

-VR
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 May '20 12:53
    I think ignoring the likes of VR, eledar & wajoma woul soon get them to behave a little better.@Very-Rusty
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 May '20 12:562 edits
    @badradger said
    I think ignoring the likes of VR, eledar & wajoma woul soon get them to behave a little better.@Very-Rusty
    Ignore me all you want, no love lost here. Do you think I am going to change after 14 years??? I say what is on my mind rather you or ANYONE else like it.

If it is against the TOS the Moderators will remove it as has been done in the recent past between me and others going over the line......You've went over the line, we all go over the line at one time or other.

-VR
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 May '20 13:42
    @very-rusty said
    Ignore me all you want, no love lost here. Do you think I am going to change after 14 years??? I say what is on my mind rather you or ANYONE else like it.

If it is against the TOS the Moderators will remove it as has been done in the recent past between me and others going over the line......You've went over the line, we all go over the line at one time or other.

-VR
    your ignored
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 May '20 14:361 edit
    @badradger said
    your ignored
    If I thought hard enough, and cared enough I could give you a list of people said they were going to IGNORE me. Kegge being one of them and you saw the pleasant exchange we had recently I am sure! 😉

-VR
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 May '20 14:402 edits
    @badradger said
    your ignored
    'you're ignored' not 'your ignored', I think! 😉

Now don't make the mistake that I am going to ignore you, I think that is just childish at the end of the day!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree