'Pay Per' Subscription

'Pay Per' Subscription

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Happier Now!!

Home!!

Moves
19 Nov 06

Originally posted by ObelixDad
Can anyone get back to the main topic?
I'm a slow player, I can only make up to 2 moves per day (that is less than 800 moves per year).
I'd rather pay a subscription based on the number of the games started than paying the same amount of money payed by someone that makes over 10000 moves per year.
I think that the option "pay per item subscription" shou ...[text shortened]... ion option that best suite his needs.
Thank you for you idea and sorry for my poor English.
NOTE: Check the date the post prior to yours was posted. The Idea was posted, but shot down.

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by rhb
As simple as the title suggests - moves, forum posts, tournie entries, clan challenges are charged to the user on a pay per item basis.
?
For me:
1043 moves: £10
40 games: £ 2
4 tourneys: £ 4
80 forum posts: £1.60

total of £17.50, give or take a few games. Close enough to a year's subscription for the year and a half I have been here.

In short, I quite like the idea, but I think you have the pricing wrong. It might even be possible to vary the pricing in line with the hamburger index around the world, and let people from contries with a low cost of living join.

And KJ, I don't think the idea was shot down, just some people said it would cost them more. So what? If it would be cheaper for me, it will also be cheaper for some others, and allow them to get the benefits at lower cost. Just add it as another subscription option, don't take the others away. I'd much rather the relevant thread was found than having people repeat themselves and refer to the previous thread.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
20 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by rhb
As simple as the title suggests - moves, forum posts, tournie entries, clan challenges are charged to the user on a pay per item basis.

E.g.

Move = 1p
Start New Game = 5p
Tournie Entry = £1
Forum Post = 2p
Join Clan = £2
Clan challenge = 10p

When sub is next due, admin invoices for previous subscription periods accrued amount, and paying that then ...[text shortened]... to continue. If not paid, it's back to the 6 game limit and ads on every page.

Any thoughts?
Terrible idea.

Terribly expensive.

I'd rather pay a 50€ subscription than having to pay for every single move,post, game,etc,etc, I make.

Damn, only for the moves I made I should have payed about 2'000€, which means that counting even clan, forum and tournament stuff the bill would be a good 5'000€ approx (in three years).............

A little too much for playing chess on a website, don't you think?

O

Moves
20 Nov 06

Thanks gezza,
I see you really get the point.
I don't want anyone to spend more money.
I only intend to give people who spend less time playing chess the possibility to have a fair subscription option.
I joined RHP only 6 month ago, so making an extrapolation:
Move = 201 * 2 = £4
Start New Game = 10 * 2 = £1
Tournie Entry = 2 = £2
for a total ammount of £7 (less than 13,50$) less than a half of a annual subscription.
I think a simpler method shuold be good too. For instance at http://www.instantchess.com they use a standard subscription of 9$ for 100 games (this subscribtion does not allow Tournaments).
Besides even in tournament you start new games so why I have to pay £2 for a tournament entry, I just have to keep enough games left in my subscription to complete the tournament.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by gezza
It might even be possible to vary the pricing in line with the hamburger index around the world, and let people from contries with a low cost of living join.
Can I be from India, please?

BTW: the original poster posted this as a s(h)ite idea.

D

TS

Moves
20 Nov 06

it would be great for people who have a life beyond this site.. i sure like it..

but i'm realistic. most of this guys wouldn't let their mothers be a subscriber for less of what they paid.

Its a shame really, plus, its not like the administration deserve ppl to pay... what was the last thing they made for the site? let me see random color option nice.. at last something.. cause resetting the recs on the post didn't seem like such a great feat... from what i see ouroboros has done more addons for the site than the admins.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by Tiago Silva
it would be great for people who have a life beyond this site.. i sure like it..

but i'm realistic. most of this guys wouldn't let their mothers be a subscriber for less of what they paid.

Its a shame really, plus, its not like the administration deserve ppl to pay... what was the last thing they made for the site? let me see random color option n ...[text shortened]... a great feat... from what i see ouroboros has done more addons for the site than the admins.
ouroboros has been doing some nice things, but don't forget that Russ and Chris have done a lot more over the past 5 years or so. Things done long before you came to the site, and me. A lot more than ouroboros since I've been here.

The rec wreck stinks, I don't think the admins tried hard enough, or thought it through... but what is done is now done. I say 10 recs in 30 days is no where near enough to give out, or to show people what good posts are.

When the site first started, it was a wooden board in a small dark room with a phone. When the phone rang, it was your move. Russ and Chris made this site what it is now, ouroboros is just adding a little frosting to a delicious cake.

P-

Moves
21 Nov 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Can I be from India, please?

BTW: the original poster posted this as a s(h)ite idea.

D
Of course you can. Just charge your site credits to your indian credit card.

Or just take a day trip to india and pay when you are there.

Or for the final alternative, wait 5 years until Indian salaries in hi-tech outstrip those in Europe, and then you will be paying more than me.

😀

Gezza
ps. I quite like the idea, and I think it might be an interesting alternative to a monthly subscription which you can cancel. If I understand correctly, there is little to stop you signing up for a month, joining a tournament or six, and then unsubscribing. Then you get all the benefits of being a subscriber, for 1/12 of the fee.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
21 Nov 06

Originally posted by Tiago Silva
Its a shame really, plus, its not like the administration deserve ppl to pay... what was the last thing they made for the site? let me see random color option nice.. at last something.. cause resetting the recs on the post didn't seem like such a great feat... from what i see ouroboros has done more addons for the site than the admins.
You are here from two monts and have no idea of how much the site improved in the years I past here.

The site now is a feature galore, there's a lot of useful stuff that you can't see on other more expensive chess servers but still you dare to say that the admins don't improve enough the site.

It's people like you who pisses me off the most, you play for free and give nothing but silly critics to the site's improvement.

Go to Yahoo or any other crappy server if you think they improved their site more than Rhp.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
21 Nov 06

Originally posted by rhb

E.g.

Move = 1p
Start New Game = 5p
Tournie Entry = £1
Forum Post = 2p
Join Clan = £2
Clan challenge = 10p

When sub is next due, admin invoices for previous subscription periods accrued amount, and paying that then ...[text shortened]... to continue. If not paid, it's back to the 6 game limit and ads on every page.

Any thoughts?
Yes, its a stupid idea.

So people don't pay an annual subscription but instead get to play "free" until billed, but if they don't pay they just become a six game option account.

Player A joins the site

Makes 120,000 moves in the year @ 1p £1,200
Start 10,000 games @ 5p £500
Enters 100 Tourneys @ £1 £100
Posts 5,000 times in the forums @ 2p £100
Joins 4 clans @ £2 £8
Is involved in 1,000 clan challenges @ 10p £100

Total cost £2,008. Surprising enough they decide not to pay and are back to their 6 game limit, but with over 7,000 active games who cares!

In the meantime Russ & Chris are sunning a site with no annual fee income until people are billed and 99% having seen the potential cost decide not to pay.

You also have to assume that every person gives the correct sign up info at the start of the year so that Russ & Chris can bill them at the end of the year.

Non starter, surprised it even got to the starting line.

O

Moves
22 Nov 06
5 edits

You can easily solve the problem if you make people to pay in advance.
Let say that you pay 20$ as subscription and you have a 20$ credit to spend in games, tournaments, sieges and so on...
When you finish your credit you can pay again or return to the free subscription and the 6 games limit.
You can even put a time limit on the credit. i.e. the subscription is 20$ and you have 3 years to use it. After this time the remaining credit is deleted.

I don't say this is a good subscription method for everyone at RHP.
I just think that as an additional subscription option can increase the site income.
This can be a good choice for many people that are satisfied by the free services of RHP but sometimes like to enter a tournament or want to put a photo or just wants to contribute to the improvement of the site.

Adding a new subscription option does not cost too much (apart from the development work), it leaves things unchanged for anyone that is satisfied by the current situation and can maybe produce more income.

So why not?

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
22 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by ObelixDad
You can easily solve the problem if you make people to pay in advance.
Let say that you pay 20$ as subscription and you have a 20$ credit to spend in games, tournaments, sieges and so on...
When you finish your credit you can pay again or return to the free subscription and the 6 games limit.
........let me understand this one.......

You'd rather pay "a 20$ credit to spend in games, tournaments, sieges and so on" than the normal 29$ subscription which gives you unlimited "games, tournaments, sieges and so on"??

O

Moves
22 Nov 06

Yes, because I know that with 20$ I can easily play for more than 2 years!
I don't have too much time to play.

Site Admin

Wimbledon

Moves
22 Nov 06

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
I would like to see anyone winning a game get a small kick back, a couple of pennies say. You could also use your banked $ to bet on games.
We are considering allowing RHP to be listed at http://www.sharkwaters.com/ which is a clearing house for players who wish to bet on online games. It is based on the model that all participants must report the same result or no money changes hands and any disputes result in the refunding of all stakes to all participants.

I would be interested on your thoughts as to whether this would be welcome.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
22 Nov 06

Originally posted by Chris
We are considering allowing RHP to be listed at http://www.sharkwaters.com/ which is a clearing house for players who wish to bet on online games. It is based on the model that all participants must report the same result or no money changes hands and any disputes result in the refunding of all stakes to all participants.

I would be interested on your thoughts as to whether this would be welcome.
Chess + Money = SERIOUS ENGINE ABUSE! 😉