i would like to change my handle

i would like to change my handle

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kc

unseen kingdom

Moves
26 Apr 08

just would like to be able to change my handle depending on my mood....sometimes i dont feel real kingly, when i am getting delt with you feel me?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by king ciref
just would like to be able to change my handle depending on my mood....sometimes i dont feel real kingly, when i am getting delt with you feel me?
That would make it confusing for players who have played you as Kingly Ciref.

Nemesio

F

Moves
26 Apr 08
1 edit

I agree totally with Nemesio, changing your handle, or alias, shouldn't be done lightly.

... however ... (and this is not an answer to king ciref) ...

When I started at RHP I just wanted to check out the site. Perhaps play a game and two to see what RHP was all about. I had to choose a name, and that I did, in a second. I choosed one at random, and started to play. I found that RHP is the best site ever for my need and continue, a few more months I became a subscriber. No more than 500 games later I still have the same name as I invented in the beginning.

I think people start in the same way, but with a real nerdy name (I don't want to give examples), or perhaps your real name despite you want to be anonymous, quitting the name, and starts all over again with a second account with a much more well chosen one, abandoning the first name. This is against the rules, I know (that's because I didn't do it myself), but who will know?

I suggest the following: After a while, say after the first 20 games or when you become a subscriber, you can change your name to a better one. In your profile, however, your old name is shown for a while, a year or so, so no one will be confused.

Why? So you don't have to have your ill chosen name forever, but have a chance to make a better name up that reflects your personality better.

Is this really a bad idea? No, I don't think so. Every clan leader can, and sometimes does, change their clan name. Is this confusing for every one? (I think this is possible with Club names too, but I'm not sure.)

But changing ones name after your momentary mood?, I don't think so. Only once.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
26 Apr 08

According to Help/FAQ you cannot change it, except they might make spelling and capitalization corrections.

I think it would be very helpful if a BIG warning screen came up when someone is first opening an account and putting in their username. Something that clearly points out that you should give this step some serious thought because once you create the name you are stuck with it. You will not be allowed to go back later and change it.

F

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by mwmiller
I think it would be very helpful if a BIG warning screen came up when someone is first opening an account and putting in their username. Something that clearly points out that you should give this step some serious thought because once you create the name you are stuck with it. You will not be allowed to go back later and change it.
Perhaps if have a preliminary name, like 'guest1234', that you later can change to a proper well choosen name...?

RHP Member No.16

Moves
26 Apr 08

Anything that warns a new member to think about the name first would be better than nothing.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Apr 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I agree totally with Nemesio, changing your handle, or alias, shouldn't be done lightly.

... however ... (and this is not an answer to king ciref) ...

When I started at RHP I just wanted to check out the site. Perhaps play a game and two to see what RHP was all about. I had to choose a name, and that I did, in a second. I choosed one at random, an ...[text shortened]... re.)

But changing ones name after your momentary mood?, I don't think so. Only once.
I like having one standard name for all my internet activities. I had my old Everquest guildleader look me up here on RHP recently, inviting me to play WoW with the old guildies. Unfortunately I've become cheap and am now unwilling to pay a monthly fee for an MMORPG.

F

Moves
27 Apr 08

Anything that warns a new member to think about the name first would be better than nothing.
True, this is a very good step one.
But we all know how much text is actually read. Especially when they just want to check it out first, they won't stay long. But looka at me, I'm still here.
I think that a guest handle can be changed into a well coosen name later when he realizes how good RHP really is.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
27 Apr 08

According to Help/FAQ you cannot change it, except they might make spelling and capitalization corrections.

Unless you are User 101478 Freddie2008 who was previously called Freddie2006 who was previously called Freddie2004 and no doubt will become Freddie2010, given time.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
01 May 08

Originally posted by king ciref
I would like to change mine, but I think we are stuck with them.

M

Moves
02 May 08

Originally posted by adramforall
Unless you are User 101478 Freddie2008 who was previously called Freddie2006 who was previously called Freddie2004 and no doubt will become Freddie2010, given time.
Adram, any idea how he gets away with this? I requested a change on what I considered legitimate grounds, and was refused by Russ with no reason given.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
02 May 08
3 edits

Originally posted by MissOleum
Adram, any idea how he gets away with this? I requested a change on what I considered legitimate grounds, and was refused by Russ with no reason given.
Perhaps because he isn't changing the name, just the year?

Or does he start his subscription new again every 2 years?

I was half thinking that would be a way to change my name legit, just let the sub expire, then start new, with a new name. It is a shame though to loose all your stats.

F

Moves
02 May 08

Originally posted by Very Rusty
I was half thinking that would be a way to change my name legit, just let the sub expire, then start new, with a new name. It is a shame though to loose all your stats.
TOS 3(a) says: "You will not create more than one account."
You cannot ever close an account, so starting another one is a violation of 3(a). You can abondon an account, but it is still yours, so 3(a) makes it impossible to start a new account with a new handle.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
02 May 08
2 edits

Originally posted by FabianFnas
TOS 3(a) says: "You will not create more than one account."
You cannot ever close an account, so starting another one is a violation of 3(a). You can abondon an account, but it is still yours, so 3(a) makes it impossible to start a new account with a new handle.
No I can't close the account, but I am sure Russ could close it ? Then I would be legit to make a new one right ? I am not talking about having two accounts at the same time, I think that is what 3(a) is talking about!

Only bad thing is you would lose all your stats would go with the old account.

F

Moves
02 May 08

Originally posted by Very Rusty
No I can't close the account, but I am sure Russ could close it ? Then I would be legit to make a new one right ? I am not talking about having two accounts at the same time, I think that is what 3(a) is talking about!

Only bad thing is you would lose all your stats would go with the old account.
The only thing I know is what 3(a) says with its own words.
I doubt Russ will close one account so you can open another account. What will happen with its games? Will they too disappear? No, I don't Russ will do such a thing.

But it would be convinient: If I lose too many games, getting a far lower rating for my skill. I just close it and open a new account where i can start all over again, getting the kind of rating I think I deserve...? Well, not me, but others having bad luck for a while, or start out slow.

Therefore some people get banned, when we (or mods) discover they have more account than one.