Clan Elo Rating Suggestion

Clan Elo Rating Suggestion

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
23 Mar 17
1 edit

Originally posted by padger
This system will benefit no one
So if it is employed I for one will become a nonsub
The system is not intended to benefit anyone, its intended to make a level playing field. Do what you like it concerns no one but yourself.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
23 Mar 17
1 edit

Yeah, a lot of negativity on Russ, give the guy a break,
at least he's actually addressing the issues that have been raised over the past year.

We need to see how it plays out, so give it time.

Some of you guys are threatening to unsubscribe over this, seriously?
It's not a big deal... it certainly won't affect the way I do things in the slightest.

Just my 2 pence, for what it's worth.

Cheers,

p.s. anyone who has an issue with sandbaggers, there's a simple solution:
Be careful, do your homework, and simply don't include them in your challenges 😀

Here

Moves
23 Mar 17

Originally posted by Mctayto
The proof will be in the pudding.
In theory what you say should deter Metallica from dumping games in challenges thus sandbagging.
No it will not
You have not read this properly
All it does is give clans a rating
It solves none of the problems that have been complained about

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
23 Mar 17

Originally posted by Mctayto
The proof will be in the pudding.
In theory what you say should deter Metallica from dumping games in challenges thus sandbagging.
You dolt. I have said it many times but you are evidently thick as a brick.
If sandbagging were our motivation, we would simply do it like you have been doing for years.
Sandbagging is not rocket science...you figured it out.
Anyone who pays attention knows the caliber of the players.
The ratings have been skewed for everyone for YEARS!!!
Time out losses are other culprits.
Now, you can shove your accusations where the sun don't shine.

Here

Moves
24 Mar 17

Originally posted by Russ
The proposed rating system :

- Rewards the winning clan in the challenge
- Rewards winning the challenge by as many games as possible.
- Rewards larger challenges.

(And, of course, the opposite is true.)

Regarding collusion, if a clan repeatedly plays another, then there is no benefit to the winning clan (high rating) beating the opposing clan (low r ...[text shortened]... aware of anyone who refuses to play any chess to protect their rating. Just what is the point?
Russ the examples that are given for clan rating review
Do they take into account the other clans rating at the time of the conclusion of that challenge ?
Or are they just worked out from what has taken place
The reason for this is that if clan a plays clan b and clan a is higher than clan b and wins that challenge then clan a will go up a little and clan b will drop a little
If on the other hand clan b wins then they will shoot up and clan a will drop like lead balloon
So each capable clan leader will not take on a challenge from a lower clan and only accept challenges from equal or higher clans
They will also pounce on any clan that may rise high enough to draw attention
Is no one able to see that this will lead to stagnation with just the few top clans playing each other if they can get any match ups

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
24 Mar 17

Do they take into account the other clans rating at the time of the conclusion of that challenge ?
The reason for this is that if clan a plays clan b and clan a is higher than clan b and wins that challenge then clan a will go up a little and clan ...[text shortened]... lead to stagnation with just the few top clans playing each other if they can get any match ups
Yeah, good point.

So far I think my proposal is by far the superior, but then again I am very biased.

Something must be done immediately however to curb the blatant point collusion between carrobie, McTayto and friends. Allowing this to continue is a dangerous precedent.

Here

Moves
24 Mar 17
2 edits

The reason for this is that if clan a plays clan b and clan a is higher than clan b and wins that challenge then clan a will go up a little and clan ...[text shortened]... lead to stagnation with just the few top clans playing each other if they can get any match ups
The other thing I have just realised is if you didn't take into account the other clan ratings on each challenge then the examples shown are not worth a damn

Thank you for trying but can we now have another proposal

st johnstone

Moves
24 Mar 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Gee thats bitter, come on give us a smile and cheer up, its not so bad 😀 Russ has explained why collusion will no longer be of any real benefit. I like the new system because it seems beyond Shirty which means he will have difficulty attempting to exploit it.
the system will not stop collusion, totsl bull saying it will not help clans who use it

clans a b c d, collude to make clan e on top. they just keep playing each other, does not matter if clan e gets no rating points, the main thing is they will not lose any keeping them on top and refusing to play other clans near them, sound familiar robbie?

giving a clan a rating total waste of time, it will not stop you and the usual "protesters" ruining the clan system again.

st johnstone

Moves
24 Mar 17

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Yeah, a lot of negativity on Russ, give the guy a break,
at least he's actually addressing the issues that have been raised over the past year.

We need to see how it plays out, so give it time.

Some of you guys are threatening to unsubscribe over this, seriously?
It's not a big deal... it certainly won't affect the way I do things in the slig ...[text shortened]... ple solution:
Be careful, do your homework, and simply don't include them in your challenges 😀
Can't blame the negativity
In the original thread we got asked for ideas to improve the clan system then a consolation vote would take place that promise has vanished what are we getting a system that does nothing to stop collusion put forward by robbie who is the king of collusion
It will never work

In 2015 strategic ultimatum and university chess for fun colluded both got suspended the same players did it on a massive scale last year and are still doing it
It happened before so why not now remove the points and suspend clans if this happens every time the cheats will give up
I will not pay on a site that allows cheats to go unpunished I don't know how many more will cancel subs
If you are only interested in playing chess for fun maybe just play non rated games in clan and tournaments play to win or what's the point

I vote roll back and suspend easy riders breaking bad arrow anti Metallica
Damn I forgot we are not getting the vote we were promised

rc

Moves
24 Mar 17

Wow the metallica flunkies are too dim to know how it works even after Russ explains it. There should be a rating floor for comments. Anyone 1700 or below should be banned from commenting.

st johnstone

Moves
24 Mar 17

Wow the metallica flunkies are too dim to know how it works even after Russ explains it. There should be a rating floor for comments. Anyone 1700 or below should be banned from commenting.
Cheats should be banned that will stop the problem

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
24 Mar 17

No, we have the ability to see the forest through the trees.
We can see this is not a solution, it is some slight alterations at best.
It is not what was promised since it does not address the two biggest problems.
If it won't prevent collusion, it is not a solution....period.
Every you and the sisters get your knickers in a twist, you will resort to your cheating
ways under the guise of "protesting".

m

Moves
24 Mar 17

A hypothetical question for Russ. And the group in general.

Scenario - clan A has a clan rating 300 points higher than clan B.
The clans agree to a 6 player challenge where all the match ups are relatively even.
Say, the bottom 6 players of clan A matched against the top 6 players of clan B.

In this scenario, clan A has a lot more to lose than to gain.
From a clan rating perspective.
Even though the challenge is evenly matched.

This would stifle the number of challenges being created.
Would it not ?

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
24 Mar 17

Originally posted by roma45
Can't blame the negativity
In the original thread we got asked for ideas to improve the clan system then a consolation vote would take place that promise has vanished what are we getting a system that does nothing to stop collusion put forward by robbie who is the king of collusion
It will never work

In 2015 strategic ultimatum and university chess fo ...[text shortened]... s breaking bad arrow anti Metallica
Damn I forgot we are not getting the vote we were promised
Apologies, I didn't know that a vote was promised... I'm presuming this would have been a multi-choice for what system would be put in place?

In this regard yes, Russ has acted on his own and has made a bold judgement call, one which doesn't meet the needs of many.

I still say give it time, and after a few months when things obviously go wrong
then you will have the right to say "I told you so".

Until then...

m

Moves
24 Mar 17
1 edit

The biggest problem I have with a clan rating as a metric is that no one will have any idea who wins.

Like it or not, we all play for something.

Can you imagine if the major sports leagues issued this edict.

You will play an entire season and then we will determine which team is best on paper ?

And clan ratings may be too difficult to manage.

How do we manage players leaving or joining clans mid-season ?
And there are clans out there that just don't play challenges.
They exist as a social mechanism on this site.

I have even heard of one clan (can't remember the name) where every player is rated over 2000.
They don't play challenges. They just exist as a clan.

What is to stop them from setting a bunch of challenges in September and walking away with the title.
They don't have to raise their clan average at all when they win against lower rated clans. They just have to maintain it.

I believe a scoring system should be kept that works off of individual player rating.
And yes, an ELO system be used for that.
Although I have found that the formula in the FAQ's of this site is virtually identical to the ELO formula that I Googled.

More thoughts coming. 🙂