Super Moon and Japan/NZ

Super Moon and Japan/NZ

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Kostenuik
4) Earthquake clustering and human psychology. While the average number of large earthquakes per year is fairly constant, earthquakes occur in clusters. This is predicted by various statistical models, and does not imply that earthquakes that are distant in location, but close in time, are causally related. But when such clusters occur, especially when the aller periods of about 10-15 years with MANY earthquakes. THIS IS not RANDOM! It's perfection.
So now you agree that you disagree with the USGS. A start.

Reputable source for your interpretation?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
29 Apr 11
4 edits

I flipped a 10 pence coin a minute ago (I actually did), flipped it 10 times and here's my result:

t,h,t,t,h,t,t,t,h,t

Now I can't remember what the results were of any other coin flipping trials in the past; and since it would clearly be unscientific to just estimate what the results where, given I didn't record or document them in any way, I'll just draw my inferences based on this sample.

Looks like I have a biased coin! 7 tails vs 3 heads. Also, the more I flip, the more bunched up the tails become!

K

Moves
29 Apr 11

Originally posted by Palynka
So now you agree that you disagree with the USGS. A start.

No. It is unclear what they are meaning. Is a cluster something that happens over months? If so then they are talking about something different to the decade period that I am looking at and are talking about something different..

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Apr 11

No. It is unclear what they are meaning. Is a cluster something that happens over months? If so then they are talking about something different to the decade period that I am looking at and are talking about something different..
It's very clear what they mean.

"While the average number of large earthquakes per year is fairly constant, earthquakes occur in clusters. This is predicted by various statistical models, and does not imply that earthquakes that are distant in location, but close in time, are causally related."

K

Moves
29 Apr 11
1 edit

It's very clear what they mean.

"While the average number of large earthquakes per year is fairly constant, earthquakes occur in clusters. This is predicted by various statistical models, and [b]does not imply that earthquakes that are distant in location, but close in time, are causally related
."[/b]
Earthquakes happen in runs like that over a period of weeks in the size they are refering to 7+. Maybe 6 + but that isn't clear to mean what I am looking at over the entire record of earthquake data and at a size where a relationship is whole lot more likely.

K

Moves
29 Apr 11

Originally posted by Agerg
I flipped a 10 pence coin a minute ago (I actually did), flipped it 10 times and here's my result:

t,h,t,t,h,t,t,t,h,t

Now I can't remember what the results were of any other coin flipping trials in the past; and since it would clearly be unscientific to just estimate what the results where, given I didn't record or document them in any way, I'll just dr ...[text shortened]... iased coin! 7 tails vs 3 heads. Also, the more I flip, the more bunched up the tails become!
Now throw an uneven proportion of heads for 3-4 times as long. Repeat this two and a half times.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Apr 11

Earthquakes happen in runs like that over a period of weeks in the size they are refering to 7+. That isn't clear to mean what I am looking at over the entire record of earthquake data.
Crystal clear to me.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
29 Apr 11
1 edit

Now throw an uneven proportion of heads for 3-4 times as long. Repeat this two and a half times.
As my knowledge of stats goes, and I've done myself the disservice of avoiding such modules (first two compulsary courses badly taught), it wouldn't be statistically remarkable if I got such a run. Indeed a bias towards one or the other is more likely in a small sample size. The law of large numbers kicks in after a *large* number of trials.

The same goes for your earthquake clusters, it doesn't seem statistically remarkable that the run of earthquakes is as you describe it. Simply put you need far more evidence to draw the conclusions you have made so far.

K

Moves
29 Apr 11

Crystal clear to me.

Crystal clear and they do not name the size & the time period. Did you pull your crystals from your ass.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Apr 11

Crystal clear and they do not name the size & the time period. Did you pull your crystals from your ass.

K

Moves
29 Apr 11

As my knowledge of stats goes, and I've done myself the disservice of avoiding such modules (first two compulsary courses badly taught), it wouldn't be statistically remarkable if I got such a run. Indeed a bias towards one or the other is more likely in a small sample size. The law of large numbers kicks in after a *large* number of trials.

The same goes f ...[text shortened]... cribe it. Simply put you need far more evidence to draw the conclusions you have made so far.
Yes well all we have is ~110 years to work out if the largest of earthquakes can have a relationship to others and all go off at once. From the quakes >8.5 we only have 15 and they all fall perfectly into place.

K

Moves
29 Apr 11

Name the size of the quakes and the time periods they are refering to. Otherwise you are just waving around wild accusations.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
29 Apr 11
4 edits

Yes well all we have is ~110 years to work out if the largest of earthquakes can have a relationship to others and all go off at once. From the quakes >8.5 we only have 15 and they all fall perfectly into place.
Well if we don't have enough data to make a valid call either way on this relationship (or otherwise), i.e. we have only scant statistical evidence, then why should we accept your conclusions? I could apply the same reasoning to 1 coin flipping trial and assert that given this is the only evidence I have to go on, my coin is biased!

Are you able to produce a physical explanation for this 'phenomenon', backed up by professionals and academics in this area, or is a short supply of statistical data all you have to work with?

K

Moves
29 Apr 11

Well if we don't have enough data to make a valid call either way on this relationship (or otherwise) then why should we accept your conclusions? I could apply the same reasoning to 1 coin flipping trial and assert that given this is the only evidence I have to go on, my coin is biased!
Not conclusions... hypothesis. Your coin flipping trail is only showing one trend. The earthquakes show one for x time then revert for y time. It repeats this 2.5 times EXACTLY the same.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
29 Apr 11
2 edits

Not conclusions... hypothesis. Your coin flipping trail is only showing one trend. The earthquakes show one for x time then revert for y time. It repeats this 2.5 times EXACTLY the same.
Let's put it another way, suppose I fire up code::blocks and get it to run 500,000,000 trials of 10 coin flips and I treat each flip as having been performed each year.

If I extracted 11 contiguous trials where the data had the same relationship which supports your hypothesis should I then conclude there is a particular trend overall? Because that's what you seem to be asking of us with your earthquake hypothesis.